93,146 views of "Is it Dangerous to leave"

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
In Sept. of 2003 the thread" Is it dangerous to leave the resort" was started.I noticed today that there have been over 93,000 views of this thread. How is possible that the DR has this kind of impression in the minds of so many people?
Where do they get these ideas?

I play golf every week with a man that has NEVER been to the DR and everytime I say I am going to the DR next week, I can't play golf,he says "Isn't it very dangerous there? Do you leave the resort?
Where and how does this begin and how can it be changed around?

john

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
In Sept. of 2003 the thread" Is it dangerous to leave the resort" was started.I noticed today that there have been over 93,000 views of this thread. How is possible that the DR has this kind of impression in the minds of so many people?
Where do they get these ideas?

I play golf every week with a man that has NEVER been to the DR and everytime I say I am going to the DR next week, I can't play golf,he says "Isn't it very dangerous there? Do you leave the resort?
Where and how does this begin and how can it be changed around?

john
The resorts tell their guests that. It keeps their $$$ within the confines of the cow pen.

Haven't you seen the look of incredulity you get when a busload of "cows", resort bands tight on their wrist, see a gringo hanging with those "dangerous" Dominicans?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
But...

The resorts tell their guests that. It keeps their $$$ within the confines of the cow pen.

Haven't you seen the look of incredulity you get when a busload of "cows", resort bands tight on their wrist, see a gringo hanging with those "dangerous" Dominicans?

don't they have the dollars altready? Pre-paid. Why is it to their advantage? In fact, with the AI's, it would be to their advantage if the guest left and consumed less food and beverage.
john

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
don't they have the dollars altready? Pre-paid. Why is it to their advantage? In fact, with the AI's, it would be to their advantage if the guest left and consumed less food and beverage.
john
Beats me. I think it's the outside-the-zoo excursions and extras they look for. Besides, all resorts aren't AI.

LuvtheDR

Apr 4, 2004
john

True....BUT....if "Joe Tourist" said that something happened to them off the resort - be it robbed or whatever...and they had travelled there with XYZ Travel Company and stayed at ABC Resort...it would be considered (by the travel company and resort) to be "bad business". So in their eyes....scare the ever-living-**** out of the tourist so they DON'T leave the resorts - and there you have it....problem solved!:tired:

If the tourists only knew what they were missing out on!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
john
Johne, what you say makes much sense. However, many of the AI resorts either operate guided tours or are associated with a particular tour company. Thus, rather than having tourists discover the sights on their own and lose the potential of earning a profit from selling the exact excursion as a tour package, it's best to capture such excursion demand and make a little more money from the vacationers while you can scare them to death.

Think about it.

If you are vacationing at the Dominicus Palace Resort in Bayahibe and decided to visit Altos de Chav?n, you can easily reach the place on your own and be back at the resort later that day fully intact without being mugged, kidnapped, whatever.

However, if the resort workers tell you how "dangerous" it is to be outside of the gated resort and that those "creatures" (ok, they don't refer to the Dominican masses are creatures, but thats the image of otherness they need to sell in order to earn the sale of a tour package) are best observed with the company of a represetantive of X tour company, which happens to have a desk or office on the resort premises offering tours galore costing US$40, US$50, even up to US$80 a person; it becomes easy to see why scaring the tourists is to the benefit of resort companies and tour companies alike.

Notice, the resort workers always stress that its dangerous to discover the DR on your own, but its safer with their designated tour guide/company. Most tourists buy into the sales pitch that they fail to notice that their "safe" tour package doesn't include a guard with a rifle. Thus, they are being driven up and down the countryside on "Safari Trucks" as if they were in Africa seeing exotic animals (in this case, humans) with no security in sight what-so-ever. What happened to the danger of being outside the resort gates? Are the tourists any safer with a skinny tour guide talking on a microphone and smiling all along the tour, but no security around?

Either the tourists are dumb or the resort/tour companies have a heck of a sales pitch. I think its the latter more than the former.

BTW, a most of the foodstuff resorts use in their restaurants is produced within the DR and the alcoholic beverages AI packages allow the visitors to indulge in tend to be local brands, thus the costs are cut tremendously once you consider the lower costs of buying in bulk; which is what many resorts do.

There's money to be made and if scaring people helps open their wallet a bit, then the resorts will do and have been doing that very well.

In fact, don't even think of tour companies in the DR as actually selling tour packages, but rather think of them as companies selling safety. There is nothing a tour company offers that a tourist can't do on his/her own with not much personal risk being taken. In fact, I would say that there is no difference in risks between discovering the DR on your own vs. on a guided tour since in both cases you won't be under the protection of a private guard.

The Dominican population is also marketed the same way for the benefit of the "safety" industry. For example, have you ever asked yourself why so many Dominicans go to great length to buy bars for their windows, but don't think twice about putting their entire families on a motoconcho? Never mind that the number one cause of death in the DR is not murder or heart attacks or cancer, but vehicular accidents.

If only the media and marketers would put justifiable attention to the things that threatens the life of Dominicans rather than overblowing other, perhaps more Dominicans would become afraid of putting their entire family on the most dangerous form of transport and highest life threatning risk a person can ever take in the DR. But, I guess there's not much money to be made in killing the motoconcho business.

And I'm on a rant so I'll stop now, but I hope you get my point.

-NALs

Last edited:

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
Do the reps actually put people off going outside the compounds though? Are we on DR1 making 'assumptions' about AI staff that are actually as wrong as the people who think that DR is too dangerous have contact with? I was talking with some Canadians in Cabarete a few weeks ago. They were AI at Playas Dorada but had got a taxi to Cabarete. I asked what advice the rep had given re going out. They'd been told to go out but avoid public transport. Doesn't appear to be unreasonable.When we first came to DR on A/I our rep encouraged us to go out and told us how friendly the people were. The only 'negative' advice was to be wary of buying food from local establishments and that at local nightclubs there would be pickpockets.

So, has anyone had first hand experience of being told by reps 'don't go out'?

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
What does Kohler say?

Read Hr. Kohler, German Ambassador, statement in press today.
Resorts have always black listed the local competition.
Cruise directors did it in PoP in the 80's.
The difference today is that there are very few AI tourists who venture out that come back with glowing reports of the locals and the locality that resoundingly defeat the AI propaganda.
What they see are venal authorities, pimps, hos, garbage and drug dealers.
Who wants to leave an AI to visit downtown pre-Giulani lower Bronx?

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
PS: Be Afraid

PS: Forgot to suggest you look closely at the low level hacks in the turism ministry, and be afraid.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Of course, it may be for other reasons. Who wants to come to a beautiful resort, and then go outside into a slum?

To most people from the first world, "slums" = "Danger". In their minds, concrete blocks wtih no paint, dirt streets, garbage laying around, all equal "slum". Why pay to come to somewhere beautiful, and then go outside into ugliness - I?m not referring to the people, just the physical environment.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I never do understand this "fear" ...and what people base it on. I always say to people.."if you dont leave a resort, it really makes no difference which country you choose to vacation in". Without experiencing the real life and culture of a country, I see no sense in travelling there.
Lets be honest here, tourists LOVE to spread rumours and fabricate stories about what went wrong on their vacations...yet run back for more!!
I personally think there are a lot more lunatics to fear in major US/Canadian cities.

Aug 19, 2004
I don't think the reps actually put people off going outside the compounds but they are keen to sell there own tours - I remember been told in Greece that the local transport would be full of old grannies taking goats to the market and we should therefore take there tour of Rhodes Town - this was in 2004.

Although we all know the Dominican Republic is perfectly safe I am quite happy for the AI inmates to stay in their componds so that I can enjoy the country in peace - nothing worse than seeing a bunch of tourists coming down El Conde looking as though they had just step off the beach.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have stayed in 6 different A-1s and have never been warned about anything other than time-share operators. I have received plenty of warnings from locals(Dominicans) about not going to certain areas, watch out for pickpocks, taking taxis...etc. Once while walking on the trail/road to Richon Beach in Samana, andold lady came running out of her house and told us, not to go there as there had been two robberies the previous day. The DR is still a safe place, but not every place in the DR is safe. It would be nieve to believe that a gringo tourist wouldn't be a target in many places.
There must be a reason people have bars, fences, guard-dogs, guns...etc.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Our first time here we rented a car. When we got to our hotel in Playa Dorado they told us that it was very dangerous to travel off the resort area on our own and that we should use thier tours instead and not drive or venture out on our own. We paid little heed of this, traveled around (actually ate very litte at the resort) had a great time, bought some property and are now living here full time.

Lesson-------------- GET OFF THE RESERVATION TONTO

Bob K

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
First impressions from ANY airport

Think about where one would build an airport. Outskirts of a city. Land that can be condemmed , bought cheap or taken by a gov. I can't recall any cities that I have ever been to in the world where I was impressed by the landscape upon leaving the airport. Put that together with a poor country (in the less desirable part of a city), and you have a pretty poor first impression.

Not all people think for themselves. I would guess 95% of all people are followers and the rest of the people in the world think on their own. So, what do you think these 95% have to think about when they arrive at a beautiful beach, sun shining, very cold back in NA? Well, maybe I should park my arse right here at poolside and not go out there in that wild west. What for? I saw it ALL coming in from the airport.

What do you think of this theory?
JOHN

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
It true that many airports are surrounded by industrial parks...etc, but I've landed at many airports that are in rich areas. Take Vancouver BC for example. The airport is in Richmond, very nice little city, lots of rich people, nice neighbourhoods. With a little effort I could probably think of a few others that fit the above description. Back to your theory. If you land at PP you will see some rundown shacks and garbage soon after leaving the airport and as a first time visitor you might not be impressed and feel that it's ugly/dangerous. On my first visit, I was impressed by the different greens of the plants, and new plants(for me) I knew ahead of time that I was coming to a poor country and wasn't shocked by anything. Biggest adjustment for me was not flushing toiletpaper. Of course I stayed in a private house(poor) for the first few days of my visit in Jarabacoa, so I got to see the real Dominican Republic the first time. My wife's cousin lives in a rundown area of Santo Domingo just off Ave Mexico. I feel safe there during the day, not at night.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
You were in the

other 5% I spoke about. Open mind. Without fear of the unknown. Not thinking about the negs but how green the place was.Different folks for....
john

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I think it is more dangerous to be in an AI resort. I have been to several AIs in different parts of the world and it was all the same - strange people surrounding resorts, lying and trying to take advantage of naive tourists. They try to overcharge tourists, treat them bad and tell all sorts of lies so that tourists actually stick with them. I think one can only meet normal people and have a great vacation outside of an AI resort. I did, will do the same next time and recommend it to anyone traveling to the DR.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Most if not all of the reps in Juan Dolio tell the guests not to leave the resort, that they will get mugged, raped or at worst, shot. This is fact. I would say less than 1% actually leave, apart from with organised tours in the daytime.