Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Eating an orange

So, many times during the day after running around I end up in PoP to get a taxi and usually am ready for a snack and get a couple of the oranges.

They peel the rind off and cut it in half but I can never seem to eat the orange the way the locals do.

At home I peel n eat - white part n all.

Do you have any luck eating them? How do you do it? I end up with one part eaten, half the 'meat' still in the orange, and a bunch of juice either all over my chin and hands.

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrf View Post
    So, many times during the day after running around I end up in PoP to get a taxi and usually am ready for a snack and get a couple of the oranges.

They peel the rind off and cut it in half but I can never seem to eat the orange the way the locals do.

Do you have any luck eating them? How do you do it? I end up with one part eaten, half the 'meat' still in the orange, and a bunch of juice either all over my chin and hands.
    practice, practice, and more practice.... and a very sharp knife also helps... ;-)

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Same difference as

one eating a lobster in a restaurant or at home. Or ribs. Or watermelon. How you do it at home or away makes the difference.
    Las Vegas has a theme line that goes something like" what you do here stays here" I guess thats the way we feel about eating certain things en casa

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

dunno, do we have different oranges back home or what? i used to eat all the stuff, segment by segment but now i happily suck on an orange, a bit messy thou.
    strange but sucked orange is so much better than squeezed juice
    jrf, practice and patience, that's all it takes...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there a special way to eat an orange in the DR? Dime!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes! Buy the orange and peel it yourself. Otherwise, get used to sucking it up! It is a whole other experience.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

just remember to peel before you suck (back off, perverts!) - the skin is bitter.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I've missed something-- maybe it's because I've never seen a Dominican orange to have experience this phenomena

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I also turn the half inside and out to eat the part in the middle(gajos) after sucking the juice.

Post Thanks / Like

Hillbilly's Method

If I have my handy Swiss Army knife with me (like all the time), I make about eight vertical cuts around the orange, then slice the top off and peel off the skin. Then, I break open the orange and eat the slices (gajos) one by one, sometime sharing them with people nearby.
    There is a version of the SAK that is called the Executive, and it has a fabulous blade made just for peeling oranges this way. But people keep "borrowing" the knife (like 5 or 6 of them have 'disappeared' from my house) so I just use a regular SAK....

NOTE: Because of health risks, I seldom purchase peeled oranges on the street. Although my stomach is pretty well attuned to the local bio-hazards, I prefer to peel my own. Not to say I haven't done it, but....watch out....

HB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast