Payroll questions?

mark4604

Aug 10, 2006
I have a restaurant in Santiago, I will be opening within a few months and I need some payroll advice. Specifically should I hire an account to handle my payroll? Also does anyone know what kinds of deductions should be taken out of the paychecks? If anyone can provide general payroll advice it would help me greatly.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Definitely get an accountant. No two ways about it. You are just too innocent in the way Dominicans do business. You need to confer with a Human Resource person that can tell you the Big Picture regarding your employees.
You will need a secretary and a messenger. The secretary will write up each and every foul up by your employees. The messenger will that these documents to the Department of Labor for filing. When you fire, with cause, one of your employees, you will need these files to back your position in court.
Also, you should name somebody, not yourself, as the "president of the corporation" so that you do not have to spend all day in the labor court waiting to have your ex-employee's case heard....
Do you really know what you are getting yourself into??

Oh where is HOWMAR when you need him..??? His posts were so good on this theme.

HB

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
HB - Howmar has returned to the US. I don't expect he will be back. PM me if you want info.

I agree with your advice to the OP. Get an accountant to handle this, ask for referrals to get a good one.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hey, Blondie!! I KNOW what happened. I just mentioned him cause it seemed that on questions relating to labor contracts, he seemed to be on tip of things.

Those labor laws are indeed a very slippery slope.

Regards to the blonds..

HB

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I should have known you would have known. MUST have been having a blonde moment.....

Regards to the Santiago crew..... See you soon.

EMTuKnowMe

Nov 15, 2006
I have a restaurant in Santiago, I will be opening within a few months and I need some payroll advice. Specifically should I hire an account to handle my payroll? Also does anyone know what kinds of deductions should be taken out of the paychecks? If anyone can provide general payroll advice it would help me greatly.

What is the name and location of your restaurant? What type of food? Serving lunch? dinner? is there a bar? i have some experiences to share with attorneys and accountants if you care to discuss off list. also, please respond to my questions off list too. i believe list etiquette requires you to do so anyway. Thanks.