Satellite images no use :(

relaxtime

Apr 3, 2007
I don't know how to read the satellite images that are posted on the satellite thread. Can someone please tell me if they predict evidence of hurricanes or tropical storms as far ahead as 6/14? My husband and I are staying in Cabarete from 6/14 to 6/22 and I want to be prepared.
Thank you!
Relaxtime ;)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
In the Caribbean it is really hard to say what is going to happen with the weather more than 3 days in advance. This is even more true during Hurricane Season when the overall conditions in our area of the world have a greater probability of becoming turbulent. We usually have sunshine, cloudiness, rain and wind all in one day, but very seldom all of those together. This time of the year, it is common to have afternoon showers or even thunderstorms.

June is still early in the season. We usually advise people to come on down and to relax. The chances that anything will happen, are small and if it does your hotel would know what to do.

You should read Planner's daily weather thread as to what is happening in Puerto Plata (POP). You can expect similar weather, although it may rain in one town and not in another.

I don't know how to read the satellite images that are posted on the satellite thread. Can someone please tell me if they predict evidence of hurricanes or tropical storms as far ahead as 6/14? My husband and I are staying in Cabarete from 6/14 to 6/22 and I want to be prepared.
Thank you!
Relaxtime ;)

relaxtime

Apr 3, 2007
In the Caribbean it is really hard to say what is going to happen with the weather more than 3 days in advance. This is even more true during Hurricane Season when the overall conditions in our area of the world have a greater probability of becoming turbulent. We usually have sunshine, cloudiness, rain and wind all in one day, but very seldom all of those together. This time of the year, it is common to have afternoon showers or even thunderstorms.

June is still early in the season. We usually advise people to come on down and to relax. The chances that anything will happen, are small and if it does your hotel would know what to do.

You should read Planner's daily weather thread as to what is happening in Puerto Plata (POP). You can expect similar weather, although it may rain in one town and not in another.

Thank you for the information as well as the advice! We will be sure to do plenty of relaxing come rain or shine!

C

Chip00

Thank you!
Relaxtime ;)

Don't bother with trying to interepret that aerials - follow the below link:

National Hurricane Center

Choose "Hurricane" on the left hand side and as storms appears in the Atlantic Basin they will appear on the website.

There is no system as up to date and advanced at this one. However, they are only accurate about threee days out IMO. Also when there is a storm they will issure updates every 6 hours showing it's projected path like below:

204524W_sm.gif

relaxtime

Apr 3, 2007
Don't bother with trying to interepret that aerials - follow the below link:

National Hurricane Center

Choose "Hurricane" on the left hand side and as storms appears in the Atlantic Basin they will appear on the website.

There is no system as up to date and advanced at this one. However, they are only accurate about threee days out IMO. Also when there is a storm they will issure updates every 6 hours showing it's projected path like below:

204524W_sm.gif

Thank you... I added that one to my favorites!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com

Chip, there is no "Hurricane" on the left side of your link page. For your information and as we enter into this season, we receive the raw data from Noaa well in advance of public posting.

In future, if you give an example, kindly assist by make it an example appropriate to our area. It simply gives me too many headaches to have to deal with enquiries of the 'coming hurricane' if anyone posts inappropriate graphics. I understand you did not know, but now you do.

Generally, people have no idea how busy we get if we have an active season. With hurricanes in the Caribbean, this site, together with CaribWX in the British Virgins, become the authority sites for English weather in the Caribbean. The year before last I spent 10 solid weeks, 18 hours per day simply receiving, reading, understanding and reporting usable storm information and doing nothing else.

So, I would ask the regular posters to work with us, not fan any flames and not post anything inappropriate. Ken, SaltyDawg in the background, and I have done this for a number of years, and Ken has asked me to keep the histeria down to a 'dull roar' somewhere in the background. For my own peace of mind, that is just what I'm going to do. People utilize the information on the DR1 weather forum to make decisions that are sometimes life and death decisions. One year I had a person who stuck to the reporting on the DR1 like white on rice ... at the end of the season, I received a warm and tearful thank-you note, as he had made business decisions on basis of what we reported here - and we came through for him - pulling his business through the first difficult year. This again confirmed to me the seriousness of the DR1 weather forum during hurricane season. There is no time to ask for a '2nd opinion'.

We are expecting a busy season and those who worked with us during previous hurricane threads, will surely understand what I'm asking here. I assure you, we get the information right from the source, but we do not ascribe to talking-head type massaging and speculating on the information. Our job here is to make it understandable, even for someone that knows very little - and then to answer questions and lend decisions support. Anyone not in agreement can make me an offer to get me to change my ways ;)

Any further incorrect information posted will be deleted.

C

Chip00

Chip, there is no "Hurricane" on the left side of your link page. For your information and as we enter into this season, we receive the raw data from Noaa well in advance of public posting.

Any further incorrect information posted will be deleted.

Yes thank you I realize that now. The link was the actual page I was trying to post.

Also, I'm not aware of any incorrect info - the image was but a mere example as referenced by my comment "Also when there is a storm they will issure updates every 6 hours showing it's projected path like below"-

Nonetheless if you think this will cause problems delete away.