STI to POP

msa319

Mar 11, 2002
The long way from POP to STI(not going thru the mountains), how long does it take?

Sep 19, 2005
(PS: all ways go through some form of mountains....the santiago -navarrette -pop route has the least mountainous roads though)

ok since you have to go through Santiago to take the long low route.....the time depends on the time of the day!!

because there are some serious traffic peaks...PLUS a lot of trafffic that used to go through Li Cey is now pushed out to route 1 (which has a small construction project of its own right now)

if you left STI off peak for rush hour traffic into santiago... bet you could make it in as little as 1 hour 45 minutes....

the killer for that route is the number of huge busses...and the combination of how they are stacked up on the way....because even though those big busses do drive like maniacs...they dont usually pass other big trucks and big busses......

if you catch traffic 8-10 am or 4-6 pm.....you could easily add an hour and a half onto that time....

they just had more mudl;sides last week, because of all the rain.....I didnt hear of any HUGE slides......but I did read that theyre were a few....thats always add time.....

bob

msa319

Mar 11, 2002
If I leave POP at 8:30am on Saturday will I be able to make a 11:05 Flight at STI? I don't remember how long it took last year, at this point doesn't matter if it is the shortcut or the long way. AA got rid of there afternoon flight from STI to JFK so its either 11 am or 5 pm.

Sep 19, 2005
I wouldnt try it........are you talking BUS??? rental car? taxi? private car?

forget the bus...and forget the rental car( it takes too long to pay them off , they are slow as molasses)...A private car you can pay right before you get to the Airport.....but you have to pre check your bags, then go through check in.... then go through immigrations and xrays....

I am sure there is a minimum time you need to check your bags...I bet at least 30 minutes before the plane leaves.......maybe 45 minutes.

if there are flights after yours you can get caught up in that mess......I really think 2.5 hours from POP to take off at STI....is too little time.....

I have made the trip over the mountains in about 1:20 minutes a few times...but no one held me up...and i passed a lot of cars.

call hillbillys friend and ask them the minumum amount of time they would suggest for that trip....they do it for a living.

bob

msa319

Mar 11, 2002
We will be using Martin Espinal's car service Isaira tours.
Looks like my only choice is the 5pm flight.

Sep 19, 2005
I just checked flights for the july 4th weekend...and they offered the 3:40 pm flight along with 5;25pm and 10;45 am......

I dont know when your flight is....

the killer is they want $760 already for that flight....dannnnmmm AA is tough.

bob

msa319

Mar 11, 2002
If I was traveling by myself I would get up earlier but my wife and 2 year old daughter will be traveling with me. We are planning to travel in Oct or Nov.
Last Nov we took the 3:40 flight which was perfect.