Punta Cana locals

mmilone

Mar 25, 2003
I myself have not been to Punta Cana, and do not care for the all-inclusives, but someone has asked me if there are any small towns outside the Punta Cana resorts. Without having to travel to Higuey, are there towns close by? Do most of the employees come from Higuey?

Feb 7, 2007
Well, there are abosultely NO SMALL TOWNS around Bavaro. All "populated areas" are just enclaves, or technically speaking, suburs of Higuey. Even Bavaro is a suburb of Higuey (officially and administratively). It doesn't have a mayor, local government, nothing, nor do any of the other enclaves.

The biggest enclave would be, apart from Bavaro, Beron, which has couple of thousands of inhabitants. It is the small shack-town you pass through when getting to Bavaro from PUJ airport.

And yes, most of the employees that COMMUTE to hotels come from Higuey. About 80%. 10% comes from Beron and other 10% live in some Bavaro sectors.

NOW, what % of employees commute vs. live in hotels, that I don't know.

mmilone

Mar 25, 2003
Rubio, thanks. So the closest civilization to the P.C. hotels would be Beron?
Civilization meaning being able to get a meal, or a drink, or meeting people. Do you know how far it is?

Feb 7, 2007
Mariposa, you're right. I got confused naming the city and with the name of Beron Taxi, a taxi company that is located there. BUT, if the city is Veron, why the taxi's name is Beron?

Feb 7, 2007
Rubio, thanks. So the closest civilization to the P.C. hotels would be Beron?
Civilization meaning being able to get a meal, or a drink, or meeting people. Do you know how far it is?

That depends how far from Veron you are. If you are in Barcelo/Melia/IFA, it's about 12 kms. If you are close to Plaza Bavaro (Flamenco, Fiesta, Paradisus, Bavaro Princess), it's about 16 kms. If you are around Cortecito (Ocean Bavaro, Carabela, VentacluB) it's about 14 kms. If you are north of Plaza Bavaro (LTI, Ocean Blue) it's about 20 kms, and finally if you are in Arena Gorda area (RIU, GBP, Iberostar, Majestic, Barcelo premium, AMHSA Marina) it's about 25 kms.
If you are in Cabeza de Torro (Allegro, GP Bavaro, Catalonia) it's about 10-12 kms.

There is also a small "populated" strip called El Cortecito. Has some shops, restaurants, and is a place to meet people. Another place would be around Plaza Bavaro and Plaza Bavaro - Friusa stretch. That has many restaurants and shops as well, and you can meet people there.

But if you really want to get out of tourist area, Veron is the only place to go if you don't want to go all the way to Higuey.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Mariposa, you're right. I got confused naming the city and with the name of Beron Taxi, a taxi company that is located there. BUT, if the city is Veron, why the taxi's name is Beron?

I'm sure the Taxi's owner writes vaca with a B. There is even a sign in Veron or close to Veron written with a B.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Mariposa,
i know it is a funny thingy, but the "B"eron taxies like many other businesses there write their own Bario's name wrong.
the right writing is Veron, named after an landlord a long time ago, but since few years ago it was written by many people including companies in the wrong way with a "B".
if you guys look for lodging off the all inclusive resorts you should consider La Posada De Piedra, located in the above mentioned El Cortecito, no luxury but family run clean and very friendly, no aircondition, you have many shops, bars and restaurants nearby and you are very close to the mentioned Plaza Bavaro area, too. Veron would be a 15km one way drive, takes you around 20 minutes by car, i live since many years in Veron myself, great to hang out on nighttime but you should know where to go and where not, pos and neg's can be very close to each other if you enter a local area as a newby without somebody from town.
have fun

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i am not relly up to date with that.
we had a system in our house in Veron installed by some german guys, 830 channels, i think they've been all stolen from Dish-network.
costed a bunch of money for installation aso and worked just 3 months, than the guys not been able to crack the codes for the receivers they sold us, said we have to buy other kind of receivers or no satellite TV.
they've been on the wrong guy, i pulled my gun when that ass.. been in my house and explained him on that occassion i want my money back including the installation costs and the purchase of thos not working receivers, that language worked like a miracle on him, he paid me off the same afternoon.
the Dish network is still working here i think, at least there are houses in the area with Dish-antenas on the roof, maybe you should search the net for Dish-dominican to ask about the reeciver models needed.
Mike

Feb 7, 2007
Just get yourself an EPS account, set up a regular DISH account with DISH, get it shipped to your Miami address, pay 40-50 dollar monthly fee and get it installed here. Pay via credit card on their website and you are all legal and never have to worry about programming interruption, for as long as you pay your monthly bill.