Coral Canoa

Haleyscat

May 22, 2007
Just got back from Coral Canoa. The trip was great and I have never been so relaxed! The weather was beautiful.. We could not have asked for better!
We got to the resort at 5pm.. The ride from Santo Domingo was crazy! As Americans we just were not used to some of the driving practices in DR. We just held on tight and tried to keep the conversation rolling :)

Once we arrived the check in process was Simple. We stayed in building 7, 3rd floor. The room was nice. No frills..2 beds, TV , Minifridge with water soda and beer. It was clean and the balcony gave us a great breeze for afternoon naps :) The only complaint I have is with housekeeping. We stayed 5 nights and they only replace the beer and soda once. Each day I had to call and ask the front desk to send up these items.

The first night we ate at the Italian place. Food was great and there is an appetizer bar in the middle of the restaurant. The staff was very helpful. I had the Salmon and it was excellent!

That night we went to bed early and woke up at about 230am. Because it was so early we decided to take a stroll around and see what was going on. We ended up at the bar by the pool.. It's a 24 hour bar that offers pizza, hotdogs and snacks. Very handy for late night! Pizza was good and hotdogs were not bad.

Breakfast at the buffet was good. They had a wide variety of foods including bacon, French toast, yogurt and a variety of fruit. The Mexican restaurant was also very good. Same set up as the Italian place.. Appetizers in the center-- help yourself!

The buffett has a good selection, but if you have a picky eater they may be stuck with rice and salad. The dessert selection was great! I mostly ate soups, pasta and plantains (so yummy). They offered beef, chicken and fish but I didn't want to chance getting sick.

The beach is Beautiful and the water is soo warm. It's a little rocky, but not too bad. There is plenty of shade available- they offer huts and palm trees and we didn?t have any issues getting chairs (we hit the beach in the afternoon). The pool is also beautiful-- it?s huge! There is always music playing and some type of entertainment going on. The water is warm and the bar is always ready to serve! Have a coco loco-- yum!!!

We tried to book a snorkeling trip to Catalina Island.. However the agency we booked everything through forgot to set up our ride.. It was very disappointing. We got up early and went to meet the bus and there wasn't one. The tour guy finally got us a taxi to get us to the island-- 5 minutes into the ride there we got a phone call.. The boat had already left. We had to turn around and go back. It was disappointing because snorkeling was the only thing we planned to do on this trip and we set it up when we first arrived. We got our money back without an issue.

I can say the tour company came through when we needed a ride back to the airport-- our flight left at 7:40am so we had to leave at 3:30am. There was a taxi waiting for us at 2:45. They guy was great! He brought his wife along to keep him company on the long ride.

Overall I loved this vacation. We sat at the beach or pool, drank and ate all 5 days. It was beautiful weather and the people were friendly. I picked up several pieces of Larima jewelry that will always remind me of DR-- the store at the resort aren't too expensive unless you need basic toiletries-- then they got ya. the Larima jewelry was priced fairly and makes a great keepsake :)

This was a great experience!

Feb 7, 2007
I am happy for you that you enojoyed your vacation, and hopefully you'll be back to the DR soon. Tell your friends about the good experience you have had in the DR and invite them to visit the island too.

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Gr8!

Great Trip Report! - Glad you liked the DR and thanks for sharing your report.;)