Into Haiti

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Over the last couple of years people have constantly been warned not to travel to Haiti, and because of the safety situation, rightly so.
But, recently things have changed in Haiti, significantly. Last week I had an interview with the highest ranked representative of the UN in Haiti, who clearly, on the record, told me that the North (Cap-Haitien area) and the Jacmel area ?are ready for tourism right now? in terms of safety. Parts of Port-au-Prince are still a bit difficult. He has plead with the US and other Western governments to regionalise their travel warnings for Haiti.<O:p</O:p
Of course his assessment is only about safety, the roads are still terrible, the hotels and restaurants are scarce or overprized, streets are dark at night everywhere, and you will not be able to avoid encountering misery. So although some areas are ?ready for tourism? it is still not a place for anyone, and probably never will be. Visiting the Citadelle, downtown Cap-Haitien or the view from the hotel Mont-Joli pool are worth it if you can deal with the rough edges of the country. <O:p</O:p
This is maybe not directly DR-related, but questions about visiting Haiti have been asked here before and it might interest some. There is lots of information and advise on this forum on whether or not to visit Haiti, which is not always up-to-date. Of course this information is valid now, June 2007, and things might be different again half a year from now. But right now there is no reason not to visit the North or Jacmel area of Haiti because of the safety concerns that were there up to half a year ago, according to MINUSTAH. Of course, if anyone has a source that is more up-to-date or that speaks with more authority, don?t hold back.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
The broader Cap-Haitien area is really nice, and I strongly recommend visiting it, especially around Labadie. Plenty to explore for those who want to see something else than a resort and a plastic-bracelet...

It is true however that a first visit must be carefully planned : best is to go with someone who already knows the area...

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Mr ggrande, that's so easy for you to say, since you have kowtowed with the top ranked representative of the UN in Haiti, and must have his calling card plus private cellphone number. So easy to travel to Haiti on those conditions. But for the common folk like us, I wouldn't risk it!

For those of you who desire adventure outside the safety of your plastic-braceleted resorts, instead of risking your lives in Haiti, I suggest going first and visit the DR Deep South, or the DR South West. Say Barahona, Pedernales, Lago Enriquillo, the international road from Elias Pi?a, passing the towns of B?nica, Pedro Santana, Restauraci?n, Loma de Cabrera, all the way to Dajab?n and Montecristi. Remember, the Dominican Republic is Inexhaustible!

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Mr. Mirador, yes the South West of the Dominican Republic is an incredibly beautiful area too, and everyone that hasn't visited it yet should go at once. But even though the Dominican Republic is indeed inexhaustible, some people might be interested to visit another country as well, next to the Dominican Republic, once in a while, and some might have been interested to visit Haiti for a while. You do not risk your live crossing the border and venturing into Cap-Haitien.
I know people have returned from Haiti saying it isn't bad, it's safe, just based on personal experiences. I don't say anything based on coincidental personal experiences, but on what someone who should know has said. But of course, believe what you want to believe.
BTW, I really do not think having anyone's phonenumber would be of any help whatsoever with the type of safety risks Haiti has seen, and still has in some Port-au-Prince areas.

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
Mr. Mirador, yes the South West of the Dominican Republic is an incredibly beautiful area too, and everyone that hasn't visited it yet should go at once. But even though the Dominican Republic is indeed inexhaustible, some people might be interested to visit another country as well, next to the Dominican Republic, once in a while, and some might have been interested to visit Haiti for a while. You do not risk your live crossing the border and venturing into Cap-Haitien.
I know people have returned from Haiti saying it isn't bad, it's safe, just based on personal experiences. I don't say anything based on coincidental personal experiences, but on what someone who should know has said. But of course, believe what you want to believe.
BTW, I really do not think having anyone's phonenumber would be of any help whatsoever with the type of safety risks Haiti has seen, and still has in some Port-au-Prince areas.

Thank you ggrande for your post. Since moving here to the DR every single person that has come to visit us has asked about visiting Haiti and unfortunately there has been very little up to date information about traveling there and this information is very informative.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We jumped across the border at Jimini for a while. Creppy.

A look into a border town:
Haiti1.jpg

A Haitian Bus:
Haitianbus.jpg

A Haitian "restaurant":
Haitianrestaurant.jpg

Sep 20, 2003
There are nice resturants in Haiti. I've had meals in really posh places in Pentionville. I've had meals in Jacmel and other places on the south coast. I never suffered from food poisoning or anything like that while I was in Haiti.

Haiti is a poor country, but it is not such a forlorn place as some would have you believe. There are internet cafes and pastry shops, places to develop your film, even movie theaters. I recommend that people visit Jacmel, in the south. There are many affordable, comfortable, and very clean guest houses you can stay at. They had a resturant in the one I stayed at. The meals were inexpensive and quite good.

I would always plan out a trip to Haiti carefully. If you really want to visit Haiti, then go. If you're the type of person that needs the comforts and conviences of Wisconsin, then don't go.

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
The haiti that's never shown

I absolutely agree with the OP. The north and south of Haiti are perfectly safe and great for tourist that want to see the beautiful hidden treasures of Haiti that rarely gets any media attention.

Here are some pictures taken a couple of weeks ago in Jacmel. All foreignors are welcomed and should not have any language barriers since we speak just about every main language. Well enjoy the pictures and I advise people to stop crossing the boarder thinking that represents haiti. The border regions on both sides are the poorest. Come and enjoy the experience the real haiti. I will be delighted to share more pictures if interested.

Beautiful Jacmel beautiful clean beaches and more..waiting to please you:glasses:

6fsc3r5.jpg

OH my God haitians live in beautiful homes..Unbelievable

4y046fb.jpg

Look at this magnificent view
6azkimb.jpg

Many hotels with english,french,spanish,italian etc etc speakers ready to accomodate you
6aethxf.jpg

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
Wow..a variety of beaches in Haiti

4m8i043.jpg

Enjoy an outdoor shows amongst common Haitians
4vf2ba1.jpg

New up and coming painter. He's just 15 years old. You won't find painting like this no where on the whole island.

61wcqkw.jpg

Come and participate of the influence of Haitian literature in the French speaking world and the usage of Creole to add extra flavor..

Indeed this site is DR only but it's ok when they show pictures of impoverish parts of Haiti... What are you afraid of? Can we have a well balance image of Haiti as well or do you prefer to keep the agenda going. Enjoy the pictures..;)

54l4sw2.jpg

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
I am not afraid of anything...this site is to discuss DR related issues ok? Haiti is Haiti and DR is DR.

Can a moderator please close this thread? thanks.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I am not afraid of anything...this site is to discuss DR related issues ok? Haiti is Haiti and DR is DR.

Perhaps a moderator can close your account for posting horse$hit!
Why does this thread bother you, it's harmless.

tambo'

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
Perhaps a moderator can close your account for posting horse$hit!
Why does this thread bother you, it's harmless.

tambo'

Because this is a DR related website..can't you just get it? Moderators regulate the content of forums and message boards. They make sure that if a certain forum is supposed to focus on arquitecture, then thats the subject that has to be talked about...I am sure there are plenty of websites that you can participate if you want to talk about Haiti. Period.

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003

Yes close this thread quickly b4 the world sees the REAL Haiti that obviously you are reluctant to accept. ?Por qu? te pusiste guapa? The 1st picture suited your agenda just right...Por favor ni?a, enjoy the pictures and accept the reality rather then made up dreams of the REAL Ayiti...

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com

And it is completely within the scope of this board to discuss excursions from the DR to other islands or areas around. Why should it be closed? I'm learning something.

SuperConejo

Mar 30, 2007
Guys thanks for the pictures, very beautiful indeed. Just as beautiful as mi Quisqueya, same island , same paradise. I hope that Haiti's instability stabilizes soon, can't wait to visit. Its probably cheap going from Quisqueya. I seen beautiful houses as well as empoverished ones too in this movie called "I love you Anne" very funny movie. LOL, but it shows the diversity of Ayiti; in the people, the land, the rich, poor etc.

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
Yes close this thread quickly b4 the world sees the REAL Haiti that obviously you are reluctant to accept. ?Por qu? te pusiste guapa? The 1st picture suited your agenda just right...Por favor ni?a, enjoy the pictures and accept the reality rather then made up dreams of the REAL Ayiti...

I don't understand why you think I have something against Haiti. I don't. I just thought this website has to stick w/ DR related stuff..I have seen other threads being closed because they don't concern DR.

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
And it is completely within the scope of this board to discuss excursions from the DR to other islands or areas around. Why should it be closed? I'm learning something.

Right...and it was not good to discuss the situation in Venezuela 2 weeks ago, and a moderator closed the thread for being not related to DR...I am learning something too.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Right...and it was not good to discuss the situation in Venezuela 2 weeks ago, and a moderator closed the thread for being not related to DR...I am learning something too.

Hardly a comparison. You'll see many trip reports from some of us taking trips from the DR to somewhere else ... a few from memory, the US, Colombia, Antigua and Barbuda, Cuba and so on.

Discussing a trip to a place that one can take a Caribbetours bus to is hardly discussing the situation. This thread is not about politics you know and I'm sure the moderators are quite capable of knowing when to delete and when not.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Certainly, border towns, like Jimani, may not be a reflection of the country as a whole. But most folks in the DR don't get to see much but those towns. No doubt there are some beautiful, wealthy areas.

But I gotta believe the DR is very wealthy, even the "poor", by comparison.