Travelling within Santo Domingo

wjlc

Jun 10, 2007
Greetings all,

I am quite new to the forum, but have been a reader of the website a a little while now. Being new to the forum, I am qute sure that my question has been asked before....so please bear with me.

I am planning on travelling to DR and have some issues about driving in the city. I will be renting a car and picking up some friends from Avenida 27 de Febrero and then to Boca Chica. Being a single female, does this sound like a "no-no". The main reason for the trip is to visit Basilica de Altagracia in Higuey...which we will be driving to.

Any suggestions for routes will be greatly appreciated...I am just a little worried since i will be driving from the airport alone and don't want to be a target since my Spanish is not so great. :paranoid:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I assume you will be arriving to Las Americas International Airport. Makes no sense to drive into Santo Domingo (about half an hour, depending on traffic) going west, and then return (past the airport) to go to Boca Chica. I suggest you tell your friends to meet you in Boca Chica. Of course, unless you will be overnighting in Santo Domingo.

If you decide to do it, go for it if you are arriving daytime. Do not drive at night, as the roads are mostly not lit.

Take the overpass leaving the airport and drive west all the time. You will come to a bridge and look for the signs that say Elevado. Take that avenue west all the time and it will put you on 27 de Febrero.

On the way back from Santo Domingo to Boca Chica, just do the opposite, take the 27 de Febrero and head East.

wjlc

Jun 10, 2007
Thank you Dolores....is the drive from Boca Chica to Higuey just as straightforward or can we expect some trouble en route.:paranoid:

Feb 7, 2007
The trip from SDQ is straightforward - Set off on las Americas highway, keep straight on the highway, pass San Pedro (do not enter) keep on highway, cross the new bridge, don't make any turns, after the bridge keep straight, then you come to T-intersection, turn left at T towards La Romana, keep straight, no turns, you will get to La Romana, after entering la Romana after Shell gas station, on +Intersection turn right towards Higuey (road signs are there) keep straight, no turns whatsoever, go past JUMBO supermarket, keep straight, after passing the police station (which would be on your left just after JUMBO) on Y-intersection go left towards the bridge (going up), after passing the bridge in Romana on another Y interesection go left towards Bavaro, Higuey, Yuma, go past Casa de Campo, keep straight, go past la Romana airport, keep straight, take the big down-and-up climb to pass the dam, keep straight, on the Bayahibe intersection (again Y) keep left, then again keep straight, on the Yuma Y-intersection go left, then keep straight again. You will enter Higuey, keep straight, after the ISLA gas station turn left at Y-intersection, straight, and 500 meters you will see the Basilica. Simple as that. Total driving time - 2 to 2.5 hours,

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have made that drive, and there were no holes in the road. Nothing major to worry about (EXCEPT: dominican drivers...expect them to do anything on the highway. Surreal is their philosphy....).

The cathedral is worth seeing. It is imposing and in a lovely setting.
And of course, it is the National Cathedral...

HB

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
I have made that drive, and there were no holes in the road. Nothing major to worry about (EXCEPT: dominican drivers...expect them to do anything on the highway. Surreal is their philosphy....).

The cathedral is worth seeing. It is imposing and in a lovely setting.
And of course, it is the National Cathedral...

HB

Last January there was no holes but last May from the Yuma Y-intersection to La Romana it was holes and holes. Well I still wonder if there was a road.

I am sure you mean the Basilica

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Send Dolores an email via the board or the "Contact Us" link at the top of the page. She has lots of info on the Basilica you will not find in any guide book. Info on the history, builders, architecture etc etc.