Adapters

wrangles

Apr 30, 2007
Hi i am travelling to DR from UK on monday and just wondered what plug adapters i will need. Thanks Jo

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
serious

Hi i am travelling to DR from UK on monday and just wondered what plug adapters i will need. Thanks Jo

Same ones you would need if you were going to the US. Power is the same.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
but the adapter has to be rated for current / wattage for the device you will plug into it. Otherwise, the adapter will burn.
Generally speaking the laptop power supply can be plugged into 120 volts AC if you simply change the plug. You don't need a step up adapter transformer. The laptop power will adjust automatically to the different voltage. So check the power supply input on the sticker of your power supply, it says 110volts to 220 volts a/c. Forget about the 60 cycle sinewave difference. this shouldn't make much of a difference.
AZB

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
silly question but...

what happens if the adapter isn't rated for the device you'll plug into it? say, the adapter is designed for a device that draws more current/wattage than the thing i originally intended to plug into the adapter?

but the adapter has to be rated for current / wattage for the device you will plug into it. Otherwise, the adapter will burn.
Generally speaking the laptop power supply can be plugged into 120 volts AC if you simply change the plug. You don't need a step up adapter transformer. The laptop power will adjust automatically to the different voltage. So check the power supply input on the sticker of your power supply, it says 110volts to 220 volts a/c. Forget about the 60 cycle sinewave difference. this shouldn't make much of a difference.
AZB

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
what happens if the adapter isn't rated for the device you'll plug into it? say, the adapter is designed for a device that draws more current/wattage than the thing i originally intended to plug into the adapter?
Nothing will happen if the adapter/converter is over rated.
As AZB rightly points out, if it's under rated, it will burn up.
Most electrical devices that simply need to charge their internal batteries will still work on 110/120, only they will take longer to charge.
Of course, you will need a plug converter/adapter.
Most devices have the rated consumption printed on them, so it can give you a guideline of which converter to buy.

gini

Dec 12, 2005
Most electrical devices that simply need to charge their internal batteries will still work on 110/120, only they will take longer to charge.
Most devices have the rated consumption printed on them, so it can give you a guideline of which converter to buy.

Rocky 6977 LE RETOUR ! :cheeky: La vilaine fi?vre est enfin partie ;)

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Just to clarify, as it seems that the responses indicate that you need a converter besides the adapter.

You will need just the "adapter", for change of plug type, if the units you want to power are 110/120 volt a/c. We use the standard a/c outlets/plugs that are used in the U.S.

The converter will only be necessary if your units are not designed for 110/120 volt a/c, for example, they are designed for higher voltage, such as 220-240 volt a/c.

Don SantiagoDR

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Just to clarify, as it seems that the responses indicate that you need a converter besides the adapter.

You will need just the "adapter", for change of plug type, if the units you want to power are 110/120 volt a/c. We use the standard a/c outlets/plugs that are used in the U.S.

The converter will only be necessary if your units are not designed for 110/120 volt a/c, for example, they are designed for higher voltage, such as 220-240 volt a/c.

Don SantiagoDR
There is nothing to clarify, except that you did not read the OP.
The UK uses 220/240 volt appliances, etc.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
There is nothing to clarify, except that you did not read the OP.
The UK uses 220/240 volt appliances, etc.

Everything in the UK is 220/240 volts ?

OP did not mention the voltage of items he was bringing, and I did not know that all items in the UK runs on 220/240 volts. I assume that to be the case from your post, so I stand corrected if that be the case.

OP did say "plug adapters" and not "converters" so that was part of my mis-interpretation.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Electric Power Around the World

I found this chart which may be handy for those coming here from other countries as to the electric supply differences between their country and here.

For the plug types, just click on the letter(s) shown on each country line.

Electricity Around the World

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002

OP did not mention the voltage of items he was bringing, and I did not know that all items in the UK runs on 220/240 volts. I assume that to be the case from your post, so I stand corrected if that be the case.

OP did say "plug adapters" and not "converters" so that was part of my mis-interpretation.

I guess you also don't know that they drive on the wrong side of the road in UK? Almost all British colonies (or ex) drive on the opposite of road compared to USA. If I am not wrong I think Jamaica uses British driving rules and its in the Americas.
I can't believe so many Americans don't bother learning a thing about other countries.
To make it quite clear, almost the whole world uses 220 volts except north americans and south americans.
The TV reception is also different the same way, North American (usa , canada and south america) uses NTSC and the rest of the world uses pal-secam.
USA and canada uses DVD region 1 while other countries use a different region, even in south america. DR = region 1.
AZB

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I guess you also don't know that they drive on the wrong side of the road in UK?

Well, AZB, you definitely are not British, they say you are the one driving on the wrong side of the road. ;)

When I went with a few friends to Jamaica, I let someone else do the driving.

I was with the hope that my posting of the Electricity Around the World link, I redeemed myself for that plunder.

The DVD world is divided into six major geographical regions, with two additional regions reserved for specialized use.

Last edited:

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
Thank you very much.
Greetings from Sweden.

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006

Not everything in the UK , portable tool,s run on 110 volts