*** New - Trade Section ***

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
We have been working on a new trade section that focuses on the trade agreements the DR is negotiating, insights into the challenges and opportunities ahead, reports, statistics etc. Plus a list of resources, embassies, trade offices, chambers of commerce and specialized offices etc.

The section is still in "Beta" and will undergo a few more changes over the coming weeks.

Take a look and send us your feedback.

DR1 Trade Section

ancalima

Oct 26, 2007
www.ancalima.com
We are an Indian company involved in manufacturing and exporting of pharmaceutical formulations. We are present in Dominican Republic since 2004. Now, we wish to expand more into other fields. Our associate companies are also looking to explore the possibilities of exporting pharmaceuticals to DR which is one of major import items in DR. We are also in touch with Embassy of DR in New Delhi to make "Indo Dominican Business Forum" to help people doing business between two countries. Kindly advice how can we proceed on this issue.

Regards,

Rajeev

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Well done! Perhaps, more detail?

This is a very good beginning. DR-CAFTA, from what I hear on the street, is an incredibly complex treaty, with 500 - 1,000 - 15,00 pages of "detail" work, explaining the present & future reduced tariffs, both ways, on 1,000s of items. Is this available in English? On line? Worth putting it on line? Too much work? Scant rewards? Don't give up. This is a potentially very valuable resource.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Cafta

This is a very good beginning. DR-CAFTA, from what I hear on the street, is an incredibly complex treaty, with 500 - 1,000 - 15,00 pages of "detail" work, explaining the present & future reduced tariffs, both ways, on 1,000s of items. Is this available in English? On line? Worth putting it on line? Too much work? Scant rewards? Don't give up. This is a potentially very valuable resource.

The DR-CAFTA is a very complex treaty when it comes to the details of products, but in its most basic sense doesn't change much as far as structure on trade. Before the agreement the DR had liberalized about 70%? with the US and personally I believe the EPA with the EU is a more beneficial agreement.

I'll try to get the CAFTA document on the site as soon as I can find a complete and up to date version.

As for the EPA if you have any questions just ask. I know as much as any on the subject and have contact with the personnel that drafted the agreement and the regional journalists who have covered it... Also, any suggestions on how to make the trade page better would be greatly appreciated...

Mr. Lu

Last edited:

queffgwada

Apr 7, 2008
DR / EU agreements

I'm in the agriculture sector, willing to install in DR. Until now, no animal products (meat, fish, etc) were allowed to be exported to EU. Is there anything in the agreement project concerning this matter ?? Thanks

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Specifics

I'm in the agriculture sector, willing to install in DR. Until now, no animal products (meat, fish, etc) were allowed to be exported to EU. Is there anything in the agreement project concerning this matter ?? Thanks

Sorry for the late response. As far as exporting/importing to the EU, as a result of the EPA, you must be a bit specific on the product you would like to import/export as there is a long exclusions list. For example, and I know this might sound odd, but "Half carcases of swine" are on the exclusions list as are "Frozen hams/shoulders of swine" "Frozen of chilled sheep cuts" and "Frozen Boneless Cuts of Sheep."

As you can see there are specifics in terms of what is allowed and not allowed. There is however a lot of leeway that an importer/exporter has in regards to the new agreement and it allows for greater facility to exporters and those wanting to establish themselves in new markets, either Europe or the Caribbean. If you have a specific product in mind let me know and I can look it up for you.

Cheers,

Mr. Lu

queffgwada

Apr 7, 2008
thanks for the answer. The product I'm interested in exporting to EU is "camarones de aqua dulce", fresh water prawn, either frozen, fresh or alive. Its scientific name is "Macrobrachium rosenbergii". I'd be very interested in the EPA status for this product ...

Regards,
Queffgwada

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Hello queffqwada,

According to the most recent list I have from the CRNM (Caribbean Regional Negotiating Machinery), the body that handled the negotiations: "Frozen Shrimps and prawns, whether in shell or not, Incl. Shrimps and Prawns in Shell, Cooked by Steaming or By Boiling in Water" are on the exclusions list. Also, Shrimp "Whether in Shell or Not, Live, Dried, Salted or In Brine" are on the list.

Is this an end all be all? I can't say, but I guess there could be some way around it. There is no mentioned of canned shrimp goods.

Mr. Lu

queffgwada

Apr 7, 2008
Thanks a lot Mr Lu, this info is highly appreciated... Canned prawns could be an idea to think about ...

corecto

Jun 18, 2003
Ink Refilling Business

I am introducing an unique Ink Refilling Machine to the country and would like to know what people think about this idea. The idea is that people save at least 30-50% in ink by refilling their printer cartridges instead of buying original cartridges. I know that there are one or two companies in ink refilling business; however, I my business plan is unique.

Does any one have an opinion on this matter?

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
yes

Thanks a lot Mr Lu, this info is highly appreciated... Canned prawns could be an idea to think about ...

This could be an alternative. I would suggest you trying to be as specific as possible in you import/export ventures. What do I mean? Well find a niche, something no one is importing/exporting and see where you can fit in. Also, stay tuned we will be working with people in the Dominican trade sector in order to better develop our trade site and better gear it to investors and business persons.

Our goal is to provide a service and facilitate investment and opportunity. Stay tuned.

Mr. Lu

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Questions

I am introducing an unique Ink Refilling Machine to the country and would like to know what people think about this idea. The idea is that people save at least 30-50% in ink by refilling their printer cartridges instead of buying original cartridges. I know that there are one or two companies in ink refilling business; however, I my business plan is unique.

Does any one have an opinion on this matter?

Sounds like a good idea, but what makes your machine better, or more attractive and what steps have you taken to bring this machine here?

corecto

Jun 18, 2003
Ink Refilling Business

It is being done here already - what makes yours different?

Our business plan is different in the sense that we are not going after individual customers, instead we are working with various store chains to provide them with the machine so that they can offer the service to their costumers. It is also a completely different machine than the ones you have seen in The DR.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Great

Our business plan is different in the sense that we are not going after individual customers, instead we are working with various store chains to provide them with the machine so that they can offer the service to their costumers. It is also a completely different machine than the ones you have seen in The DR.

Whats steps have you taken to bring this technology here? What have been or will be some of the troubles you foresee and what questions have you had about the process, from a business/import perspective? Have you done the market research and feasibility studies and have you inquired about how trade agreements could help or hinder your business venture, i.e. import/export taxes, quotas and rules of origin clauses.

Mr. Lu

smequine@g

Oct 4, 2007
I am looking for other options to ship products from DR to Midwest USA! I ordered products- it took 3 wks via Postal Service and 2 bottles were broken -soggy package too ! Does anyone have any ideas besides UPS ( $50 / 5 lb box and next day air ) . I don't need it next day - I am looking for at least a 5 -10 business day ship. There has got to be an easier way !! Also FedEx wants $4250 for next day ship of same guesstimate !

I am just trying to ship organic shampoos and soaps ,etc.

thank you all for any advise ....