Which route to SD - POP or PUJ?

ent

Jul 18, 2007
Hi,

I'm looking to see if travelling from Punta Cana or Puerto Plata to Santo Domingo is better with a family with a 4 year old and an infant. Basically which is safer and easier on kids (first time to the DR but we are used to travelling where there are bikes and animals and the highway and people don't use their car lights at night).

Our travel agent has told us that the trip from Punta Cana would be better with young kids but I've not seen anything on these forums or elsewhere that would indicate that (nothing that compares the two options at least).

We will be flying into the DR one-way in order to catch a cruise ship so we only have a choice of POP or PUJ as airports without being faced with insane one-way ticket prices. We hope to spend a few days in Santo Domingo and perhaps a couple of days around whichever airport in order to get some beach time. If we didn't have the kids we would take something like Caribe Tours to get to Santo Domingo, but we may opt for one of the taxis recommended here.

thanks very much in advance

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Both cities are almost equidistant from Santo Domingo...would you be hiring a driver or renting a vehicle?
If you are using the services of a driver, you can get to relax (yikes, 2 small kids) or keep your kids entertained and allow the driver to do his job...I would recommend that.

Good luck.

ent

Jul 18, 2007
Thanks ... I know we're crazy going with two kids.
We'll get a car with a driver most likely (rather than try to coordinate ourselves to get onto a big bus).
The travel agent seemed to think the Puerto Plata road was crazier but from what I've seen it's Carretera Santiago-Puerto Plata with the tunnel followed by divided highway/motorway (Autopista Duarte) from Santiago. Nice to hear that the road isn't as bad as he thinks.

Is the Carretera Santiago-Puerto Plata fairly low-lying (ie cliff-free)? (I almost got run off a cliff by two 18 wheelers passing each other on a blind mountain corner while abroad so I'm none too fond of them when others are driving)

thanks

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Thanks ... I know we're crazy going with two kids.
We'll get a car with a driver most likely (rather than try to coordinate ourselves to get onto a big bus).
The travel agent seemed to think the Puerto Plata road was crazier but from what I've seen it's Carretera Santiago-Puerto Plata with the tunnel followed by divided highway/motorway (Autopista Duarte) from Santiago. Nice to hear that the road isn't as bad as he thinks.

Is the Carretera Santiago-Puerto Plata fairly low-lying (ie cliff-free)? (I almost got run off a cliff by two 18 wheelers passing each other on a blind mountain corner while abroad so I'm none too fond of them when others are driving)

thanks

I have travelled both routes...I guess there's not much difference but I guess I would tend to agree with your TA. For great service, try Silva Travel Services, Travel Services in Dominican Republic. (can be arranged/paid in advance).

ent

Jul 18, 2007
Hmmm ... it seems to be one vote for each route (not counting my TA). Is there a particular reason one is better than the other?

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I guess I have done the Punta Cana to SD a lot more frequently so maybe am just more "accustomed" to it...I really dont think there is a lot in it in terms of your decision-making.
( I know it was mentioned in another post regarding a lot of construction/road blocks in the Santiago area which could slow things done if you travelled from Puerto Plata, but not sure of any adverse conditions coming from Punta Cana).

Good luck, you guys will be fine!

ent

Jul 18, 2007
Great ... the Puerta Plata route means we can spend an extra 2 days in the DR since the flights aren't every day. Thanks for the feedback.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Well there you have..of course that should influence your decision to have 2 extra days there...enjoy!;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Definately POP-SD!! No two wqys about it. Better highway, by far.
Timewise, probablyabout the same.

By far the easiest way--depending on you arrival time--would be airport taxi to POP proper Metro Station--Metro air conditioned bus to Santo Domingo--taxi to hotel or where ever. Total cost less than RD$1500 I'll bet. Versus RD$5 or 6,000 for a car and driver....

HB

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
I completely agree with Hillbilly. I've done trips to/from both airports to the capital by bus, and from POP to SD is very easy. No need to speak Spanish really, and less hassle than getting a car and driver for the long trip.
When leaving POP airport tell one of the many taxi drivers you want to go to 'Metro Bus' or 'Caribe Tours' in Puerto Plata, I think the official fare is US$ 30 (?). At the bus station buy tickets for Santo Domingo, should be something like RD$ 240. Metro and Caribe Tours buses are comfortable with airco (Metro not as chilly as Caribe Tours). If you worry about your kids getting bored at the bus, there is a stop with a long enough break about halfway in Santiago, where you can get of the bus and buy some snacks. When you arrive in Santo Domingo, tell one of the many taxi drivers the name of your hotel, you shouldnt pay more than RD$ 150.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2005
well there are other possible issues...both for and against each route.

for two years i have heard of more crime on the roads east of Santo Domingo than I have in the whole rest of the country.

The route from Puerto Plata does have to go through santiago.....but since you will stay on route 1 the road repairs dont cause much delay....but the possiblity exists that other road issues could arise in the mountains on route 5 from santiago to Puerto Plata. that stretch has mudslides often...I dont think that is an issues with the flat terrain of the SD to Punta cana trip.

there are some long stretches of highway from SD to PC that dont have facilities to take care of vehicle problems....like long stretches with no gas stations or repair shops or store to stop and buy food or drinks...at least thats what i remember about my trip from SD to Higuey.

bob

ent

Jul 18, 2007
Thanks all very much for the advice. We've booked for POP with a lot more confidence (turns out our TA didn't know there was a tunnel in the mountains to POP). Keeping a good supply of food for the trip is a good idea.
cheers to all

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Punta Cana-Santo Domingo route definitely has its roads in better shape. The PUJ route is mostly smooth driving with the exception of a small area coming out of Veron from the airport that may have a pothole here and there. The POP Airport to Navarette portion of the North-South route needs repairs, and getting out of POP is very time-consuming because of major repairs going on.

But if you get two extra days to enjoy, then it is a no brainer.

As Hillbilly says, depending on your arrival time, take the airport taxi to the Metro station in Puerto Plata Metro. Luggage loading is easy and the bus makes a stopover in Santiago. No problem with kids.

Caribe Tours is another option. They have a terminal in Sosua and Puerto Plata, but for waiting with kids, the Metro terminal in Puerto Plata is better, so make it your first choice.

These express buses leave from Puerto Plata to Santo Domingo from 6 am to 8:15 pm

Get there half an hour before bus departure, unless it is a peak travel time, such as a holiday. If you are traveling on Sunday, get there an hour earlier.
DR1 - Travel - Holidays 2007

Metro Bus (Tel. 809 586-6062) Calle Beller corner Calle 16 de Agosto has six departures from Puerto Plata. Departures are at 6, 7, 9, 11 am and 2, 4 and 6:30 pm. Tickets are RD$275.

Caribe Tours (Tel 809 576-0790). Buses from Puerto Plata at 6 am, 6:45, 7:15, 8:15, 9:15, 10:15, 11:15, 12:15 pm, 1:15, 2:15, 3:15, 4:15, 5:15, 6:15, 7:15, 8:15 pm.

Last edited:

ent

Jul 18, 2007
We won't be there until the last week of next March (we had to book well in advance thanks to the cruise) so I think that's outside of the peak tourist season. We may stay a couple of days on the north coast (preferably in town or at least not in an AI) before going to SD so we won't head to the express busses straight away. I'm sure the times for the busses will be different by then but it gives a good idea of what to expect. The road work may be different then too but I suppose those are the chances you take when booking in adavnce!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Check out the Puerto Plata hotels directory.

DR1 - Directories

In Cabarete: Velero Beach Resort, Natura Cabanas, Hotel Villa Taina, Cabarete Palm Beach Condos

In Playa Dorada: Casa Colonial Beach and Spa

In Sosua:
Casa Cayena Sosua

Kateinyork

Mar 8, 2007
www.facebook.com
I would definitely recommend Puerto Plata having tried both routes! From Puerto Plata its a very short taxi ride to the bus station - should cost about 500 pesos and then a bus journey to SD - about 3 1/2 hours and air conditioned buses from the metro bus station, very very easy (I think it was only about 275 pesos for the bus journey)!

I had a nightmare from Punta Cana airport getting to SD and ended up very expensive in a very old taxi and the road was full of potholes.

Let us know how you get on - I'm sure you'll find it really easy.

Good luck x

Also you stop for about 10 mins at Santiago where you can get off and get refreshments very cheaply.