Sousa

Status
Not open for further replies.

papayamon

Jul 24, 2007
Hi everyone!

I'm planning a little getaway for 5 days to Sousa.... my plans are to fly to santa domingo and take the bus to Sousa... i'm planning to stay one night in s.d. and check out the city, then go the following morning to sousa.

ii'm thinking that rocky's will be the place to stay in sousa. unfortunately, i never learned spanish... will i be able to get around reasonably? i'm hoping to hook up with a friend i've met online, but you never know how that will work out.

my goals for this trip are to try and learn some spanish (studying now), see the island and culture, and of course to party and mingle with the ladies, though i'm not looking for prostitutes.

any advice to a newbie greatly appreciated.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Sousa was the bandleader and composer.
You are going to Sosua. [so-SOO-ah].

Rocky's is a good place -- Spanish is less important in Sosua and other touristy/ex-pat places than in out of the way towns.

Five days is not a lot of time to learn any more than the essentials of survival. These might be such things as: Beer, Rum, Please, Thank you, How much, numbers . . .

Last edited:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
If there is any way you can change your flight to POP, your 5 day vacation will feel like just that.
Via SDQ, it will feel like a 3 day vacation.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
to party and mingle with the ladies, though i'm not looking for prostitutes.

as far as i know, they don't wear signs on them :ermm:

flying and catching a bus will definitely take 2 days off your trip..

papayamon

Jul 24, 2007
i do realize that it will seem a bit shorter, but i figure a night in santa domingo would be a lot of fun.

plus, i really think i'd enjoy a sightseeing bus ride across the country. not to mention that it's a couple of hundred dollars cheaper to fly to santa domingo anyway, which should let me live it up in santa domingo for a night.

heh. as far as the rum, i'm really not much of a drinker. certainly, i won't get drunk. if i can find a little marijuana, that's my preference... and only to smoke a very little bit.

3 days is a heck of a vacation for me :). once i learn a bit about the island, i'll know more about where to go the next trip.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
i do realize that it will seem a bit shorter, but i figure a night in santa domingo would be a lot of fun.

plus, i really think i'd enjoy a sightseeing bus ride across the country. not to mention that it's a couple of hundred dollars cheaper to fly to santa domingo anyway, which should let me live it up in santa domingo for a night.

heh. as far as the rum, i'm really not much of a drinker. certainly, i won't get drunk. if i can find a little marijuana, that's my preference... and only to smoke a very little bit.

3 days is a heck of a vacation for me :). once i learn a bit about the island, i'll know more about where to go the next trip.
You have the correct attitude and will surely enjoy crossing the country.
Perhaps you can send a PM to one of the mods, requesting that they delete your 3rd paragraph.
This is the wrong country for that.
Think Midnight Express.
It may be better that there be no internet evidence that you ever said anything about it.
Regards.
PS: If you do agree that you want it deleted and can't contact the correct people, send me a PM and we should be able to get it done quickly.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
"Someone" needs to edit the quote of the tainted post now!

puff puff

obmat'

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
It's only a few Grand US dollars to buy a get out of jail card, to each his own.

obmat'

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

This is not Jamaica or Brazil etc.

Yes, you will find weed here along with crack, coke etc.
The DR is no different to the rest of the world in this respect.

But...

As others have posted, if you get caught, kiss your a$$ good bye.
1 joint can get you 7 years in a disgusting prison. Are you prepared to take that risk?

Sure, you can buy your way out of it in some cases.
Let's just hope you have lots of money and your family are familiar with how Western Union works.

Bottom line, don't do it.

papayamon

Jul 24, 2007
heh. pretty draconian, i'll say. nope, not looking for trouble, thought it was legal in d.r. that's the same reason i don't smoke in america, not to mention that my job in the health industry prohibits any use. you simply cannot report to work if you could test positive.

funny how it's equated to crack, etc. actually, marijuana is an anti-inflammatory, with many legitimate medical uses. while smoke isn't good for your lungs, use once or twice a year really isn't any sort of a health problem...

i appreciate the warnings. however, i really doubt that such a post will spring a full investigation. surely the powers that be have a lot more to worry about. i can certainly understand that if you get caught you'll be faced with an expensive bribe, and the guy who sells it to you will call the police for a cut.

i guess i'll have to wait for my vacation to holland (next year, for sure!) to hit the bars there :).

any advice on where to go in sousa and santa domingo much appreciated. i would imagine there's a major university in santa domingo, and that would definitely be a place i'll want to see.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
*cough* *puff* *cough*
pedro clisante is the main street where a lot of nightlife exists in sosua...

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Que es esa peste"......

I don't know guys.......but I am smelling a:

"SOCKO"!!!.

I don't know but the continuing to call it "sousa" AFTER being told the correct way, AFTER keeping on calling it sant"a" domingo over and over and AFTER reading his last post, tells me that we are not dealing with someone that doesn't know that it's sosua and santo domingo. It just tells me that he wants us to think he doesn't know.

papayamon

Jul 24, 2007
heh. pardon the spellings, i stand corrected. i'd like to steer this thread back to its purpose.... advice on dr trip.

miguel, no..there is no conspiracy here. just hoping for a good vacation in a beautiful place.

sosuaman

*** Sin Bin ***
Jul 27, 2006
if you are not looking for prostitutes,, you'll have to weed em out if you go to sosua..
they're everywhere!!
thanks god

BJClintern

Aug 18, 2007
Hello.

New poster, never been to DR, but thinking about a trip very soon, probably for about 5 days.

Any golfers on this board? I'd like to bring my clubs and play as many nice courses as possible during the day and make female friends at night. I gather that Playa Dorado and Playa Grande are relatively close. I'm thinking about staying in Sosua but I'm open to suggestions. Since I'm a single guy (45) I'd like to avoid the hotels that cater to families.

Any guidance will be appreciated.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hello.

New poster, never been to DR, but thinking about a trip very soon, probably for about 5 days.

Any golfers on this board? I'd like to bring my clubs and play as many nice courses as possible during the day and make female friends at night. I gather that Playa Dorado and Playa Grande are relatively close. I'm thinking about staying in Sosua but I'm open to suggestions. Since I'm a single guy (45) I'd like to avoid the hotels that cater to families.

Any guidance will be appreciated.
Sosua's a good base and there are some DR1 golfers who will surely chime in soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.