You served long and well
On Sam Houston's grand ole dream
It's high time we recognize
Texas' gift to the DR

We love you, Texas Bill

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
He says he ain't never punched a cow. I think he left out "didn't have it comin".

Got the hat, got the cattle.

Good post, Candidato.

Sep 19, 2005
here here.....you lucky dog Bill. got that nice song for yersef... ha ah

you rustled them long horns, and the rest of us were left to helping the sheep over the fence:ninja::ninja::ninja: ha ha ha

bob

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Cripes!!! Don't y'all scare me like that!!! I thought something happened to Bill...

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
Y'all scared me too. My heart skipped a beat. What's going on with TB?
TB is ok, I hope (hihi ha ha)

Zeus

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
WHEW!!!!!!

D@mn boy, give us a little preface, huh???

Bill, y'all gonna stop by one of these days???

HB

Candidato

*** Sin Bin ***
Jul 30, 2007
The explicator

At first glance?

Yes, the present-tense highlighted portion - self-explanatory: he's with us.

The rest: the places he had been to and the things that he had seen. In Texas.

He walks away: The Lone Star's loss is DR's gain.

The why:

His posts through the years reflect a man for the ages: integrity, honor, altruism, education, humility, etc.

A celebration was in order... and way past due.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
La misma mierda......

Same old "platform" to get back in........ "let me kiss some axx and they will allow me back".

Same old crap.....

Opps, I just noticed he was sent to the "Sin Bin" already!!.

Carry on........

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
While Jose definitely is a smart fellow his understanding of the nuances of our language in this instance is unfortunately lacking - you don't do an "ode" for a living person - geeeeez. YES I already know that the dictionary doesn't say this but then again the dictionary doesn't always explain how things are widely interpreted. By the same token how many times in have I tried to use a word that was supposedly used in LA with Dominicans only for them to ask me if that what was it supposed to mean and then correct me as to the proper word.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
An ode can be written for people whether they are dead or alive, animals, plants, inanimate objects and abstract concepts, for that matter.
Maybe you were thinking of an elegy?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
An ode can be written for people whether they are dead or alive, animals, plants, inanimate objects and abstract concepts, for that matter.

According to the dictionary you are correct as I mentioned. However, to most people it has become equal to an eulogy - hence most people's concerned reaction. This is the "nuance" I was referencing to.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Para esto tambien?.....

But does it also say that it can be written when one wants to weasel their way back into DR1?. Whahahahaha!!.

Again, same old crappy platform.......

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
While I am both humbled and simultaniously honored by the "Ode", it saddens me that its posting would engender derision and sarcasm of a vendictive nature.
I would rather it never have been posted, since that event has opened into remarks of the above mentioned nature.

I still remain:
TEXAS BILL

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

Maybe it is time to share John Keats with the rest of the world? :)

Bill, I believe you can rise above the derision & sarcasm. For the rest of us it has 'faded far away, dissolved and is quite forgotten' (with apologies to JK).

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Maybe it is time to share John Keats with the rest of the world? :)

Bill, I believe you can rise above the derision & sarcasm. For the rest of us it has 'faded far away, dissolved and is quite forgotten' (with apologies to JK).

Lambada:

You betcha. I just get on my horse and ride away.

Texas Bill

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Oh for the return of 'Up Pompeii' & Frankie Howard. How the English Language doth become so mangled without the wisdom & clarity of his Odes!! (Mostly done in praise of living prized Virgins as I recall).

My regards to the senior citizen that is yet but a spring chicken - A richly deserved Ode Sir!! And my congratulations to the OP who is regrettably now unable to contribute further. SO much more couth than that other fellow! :ermm: :tired: ~ Grahame.