Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Safety concerns for single women in DR?

Hi all...I have browsed this site for awhile & have found alot of good info here, so I'm hoping I can get some help/insight on this issue-

I'm a public administration graduate student. I'm interested in applying for an internship next summer with the United Nations office in Santo Domingo. I was talking to my ex-boyfriend about this (whose family is from DR) & he strongly advised me against the whole idea citing safety concerns- theft, kidnapping, sexual assault. Any advice on the matter would be appreciated- thanks!

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
    Hi all...I have browsed this site for awhile & have found alot of good info here, so I'm hoping I can get some help/insight on this issue-

I'm a public administration graduate student. I'm interested in applying for an internship next summer with the United Nations office in Santo Domingo. I was talking to my ex-boyfriend about this (whose family is from DR) & he strongly advised me against the whole idea citing safety concerns- theft, kidnapping, sexual assault. Any advice on the matter would be appreciated- thanks!

INSTRAW has good Security Service and is centrally located.
    So as long as you do not leave the premises you will be allright.

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

1. don't take advice from an EX-boyfriend.
    2. Safety is a matter of common sense.
    3. Find your calling in the DR

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like that boy has got much greater concerns than your safety.
    That advice just screams out loud :" Please don't go"
    Kidnapping?? Come on now. My guess is you'll be safer in the DR capital doing what you'll be doing than most young ladies in most major US cities.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the comments. I brought the idea up to him since his family is from there & he's visited before, but I was definitely surprised at how bad he made it seem. He made a big point to tell me about his cousin (who works for a major record company in the US) disappearing after a trip there a few months ago. So, I went from feeling really excited about this opportunity to wondering if I am just ignorant to the safety issue since I've never been there before.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes and no......

first off i doubt you will have to worry about crime other than being taken advantage of...high prices scammed, ect ect....not like a knife to your throat and give me all your money.....I doubt that any more than where you live now

Just remember if that does happen, just give them what they want...

and far as rape....i think that date rape is a HUGE possibility...the dominican mindset is that the men dont like no very much and dont accept it. and if the guy is at all connected he knows he can get away with it....

I seriously doubt someone will kidnap you and go rape you.... there are just sooo many willing women, it isnt something that they would have to stoop to.

thousands of women walk those streets every day....there is no plague running through that city making it dangerous to live there...

we have read about some horrendous crimes but we also know that there are a LOT of people and the odds are that we will hear about any incident....

just go with a positive attitude, dont drive much, dont be flashy with jewelry, or cash.....and no one will get the idea they can take it from you...

you wont regret the chance to live there for a little while other than the no electricty, and traffic woes.....

hey on my first trip driving there I smashed into a huge horse with my rental SUV....but nothing has happened since like that in the following 20 trips!!!!!!!!

good luck

bob

.............. ?
    Post Thanks / Like

I think your ex is more concerned about you meeting your future boyfriend.

Use your common sense and you will be just fine! Chiri lives in SD and she can steer you in the right direction............. I am on the north coast.....

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

When i lived there i went to work...walked the streets and did the everyday normal things. I never encountered anything like that BUT like everyone else said use common sense. Dont walk around scared with your head down..when people see your nervous thats when someone will take advantage. Im moving back in a week and a half to the Capital..so it can't be all bad right?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone...it's good to hear some info from people who have been/live there...

I do agree that for the most part, safety is a common sense issue- I grew up in nyc & consider myself to be very street smart, however when I tried to explain this to him he just said "it doesn't matter. you're not from there & they know that." I visited Panama City by myself last year & everything turned out to be fine (even tho some people thought I was a lil crazy for that). So, I was thinking of this opportunity in the same light. I'll have to remember whenever I talk to the ex there may be other things at play.

Miami Nice!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by harrydr View Post
    1. don't take advice from an EX-boyfriend.
    2. Safety is a matter of common sense.
    3. Find your calling in the DR
    Woohoo!! GREAT advice!!! Listen to this OP...seriously!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast