Arriving in Dom Rep Sept..some advice please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sues36

Aug 20, 2007
Hi

This is our first trip to the wonderful Dominican and of course we want to see as much as possible. So I have a ouple of questions...

1. We want to visit Ocean World.....but are having trouble contacting them before we leave. Is it worth the money? Will we get money off vouchers at the Hotel?

2. We are staying at Luperon Beach.......any recommendations? Should we bring our own mosquito nets etc?

3. The tourist card.....what is the process when we arrive?

4. What other things are available to do and who are the best operators to get them from. For example we want to do quad biking, rafting.

Thanks Sue x

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thi
1. We want to visit Ocean World.....but are having trouble contacting them before we leave. Is it worth the money? Will we get money off vouchers at the Hotel?
I believe there is a discout for DR1 members.
Maybe someone else can give you the proceedure to follow.

2. We are staying at Luperon Beach.......any recommendations? Should we bring our own mosquito nets etc?
No need for a net I wouldn't think, but bring your best repellent.

3. The tourist card.....what is the process when we arrive?
You get it at Immigration when you arrive.

4. What other things are available to do and who are the best operators to get them from. For example we want to do quad biking, rafting.
Someone from Luperon may have suggestions.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I believe the discount Rocky is for DR1 members but you have to get yourself to Cofresi etc. To the OP you are far better off to arrange the excursion via their website and pay the price posted. They will arrange your transportation etc. I also recommend you book any encounters or the dolphin swim in advance as it does get booked up. .:: Ocean World ::.

For other excursions take a look at Isaira Tours - Dominican Republic Martin Espinal is the owner and is highly recommended by many of us. He can make all your arrangement for excursions should you wish.

I recommend going to the waterfalls at Damajagua! It is amazing.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just a few extra words:
1) Relax. You'll have a wonderful time.
2) Get out and about, but go about it slowly. Use Martin Espinal.
3) Bring the following: (a) Good bug repellant--for early morning and late afternoon; (b) bring a powerful sun screen--at least 30 or 45...no sense getting a sunburn that will ruin your fun for three or four days;(socks, walking shoes, jeans, T-shirts and a collared shirt or two for "special occasions" ....

Oh yes, in case the Grammar Police are watching us--say DR or the Dominican Republic or DOMREP...just not Dominican, which is an adjective and needs to modify something...okay? Just a helping hand from a Dominican friend....get the idea??

HB

sues36

Aug 20, 2007
Just a few extra words:
1) Relax. You'll have a wonderful time.
2) Get out and about, but go about it slowly. Use Martin Espinal.
3) Bring the following: (a) Good bug repellant--for early morning and late afternoon; (b) bring a powerful sun screen--at least 30 or 45...no sense getting a sunburn that will ruin your fun for three or four days;(socks, walking shoes, jeans, T-shirts and a collared shirt or two for "special occasions" ....

Oh yes, in case the Grammar Police are watching us--say DR or the Dominican Republic or DOMREP...just not Dominican, which is an adjective and needs to modify something...okay? Just a helping hand from a Dominican friend....get the idea??

HB

Thank you HB. The D word is a UK thing, which can be very annoying at times lol We have found over the years of travelling that many UK names and sayings for different places are highly irritable for the locals....and so its nice when we are pointed in the right direction by a friend.
Thanks for the tips, got the repellant, and both my hubby and son have long pants and shirts to wear for meals etc.
Have you any thoughts on the hotel we are staying at? Its Luperon Beach Resort.....many sankies? Have concerns about my daughter being harrassed as she is only 14 and quite niave!!
All in all we cant wait to arrive and spend our 2 weeks loving the place

hannahleea

Jan 31, 2006
I Love Luperon

Sue,

I just replied to your thread regarding the Luperon Beach Resort. The advice you have gotten here is truly valuable. Actually, I never had much of a problem with mosquitos or bugs at the resort, but I don't know if going at different times of year make a difference. As to sankies, of course they are there, but there are so many women chasing them I don't think they have time to chase anyone! ;) Just let make your daughter aware of the possibility of being hit on by some of the employees.

Again, as I said in my other post, please feel free to send me an e-mail with any questions you might have.

Hannah

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
when you arrive just follow the crowd of people on your plane. the first place you are going is immigration. tourist card is 10 bucks. then you walk 10 feet and give up the card before you walk out of immigration.

the rest you know, get luggage, taxi, and then a presidente !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.