50 cc scooters (pasolas) in DR

afrailegarcia

Aug 22, 2007
I am planning to develop a motorcycle business in DR and just wonder if Dominicans use small, 50 cc scooters (pasolas) at all.

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Plenty of Competition

I am planning to develop a motorcycle business in DR and just wonder if Dominicans use small, 50 cc scooters (pasolas) at all.
Expect very heavy competition.
Here they sell them "a fia'o"... all kind of sizes and brands... and they get their money.
If you are a gringo you won't.

BTW, two stroke or four-stroke?

Janin

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
they pass them out with birth certificates i think.....

sorry friend, i think that business is a bad idea. look for something that doesnt compete with the locals... good luck

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
Perhaps a better business would be a Pasola/Moto repair shop , with local labor/mechanics and accessiories (reflectors/decals, etc.) only. But selling Pasolas/Motos, you are dealing with people who never have paid anything on time or in a timely manner.

ParaHombre

Jan 17, 2009
Hola everyone. I am interested in buying a pasola for my son. He lives in DR in the city. How much are new pasolas going for in DR? Any good dealers in particular that anyone knows about or would recommend?

Thanks!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Hola everyone. I am interested in buying a pasola for my son. He lives in DR in the city. How much are new pasolas going for in DR? Any good dealers in particular that anyone knows about or would recommend?

Thanks!
A 110cc bike runs around RD$35,000 at the low end. I doubt the 50cc pasolas are that much less.

Feb 7, 2007
The Domoto-style (private label by Bonanza from Suzuki) scooters, 100cc, run about 60,000 pesos on retail, cash. Prices have gone up... fia'o count on 80,000 +

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Not to kill your business dream,

Here is a fact, tons of pasolas aka scooters get stolen on a day to day deal I can tell you that due that I used to live for several years in Los Alcarrizos one of the area that most stolen stuff end up. There were many offered for good deal as well the end up in La Cienaga area under the Duarte bridge the police dont even go there.

Insurance thats another problem I dont think you will get it at all because they know
that scooter is a business risk. also is a nightmare for who is renting police give a hard
time often to scooter riders.

Thats a big difference when comparing this business in Cuba.

Ask a Motoconcho if they will open a business like that just to hear the feed back....
good luck you dont have to believe me follow your heart.

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
Para Hombre; The last thing in the world you want to do is have something to do with your son riding a bike, anywhere, let alone D.R., if you love him, which I know you do.

I ride, when nessassary and see a lot of young ladies with multible scars on their legs, arms, etc. When I was there last Sept., a young lady I know was in 3 motorcycle accidents, in 2 days and I saw the proof..........

Get him a cheap old 4 cyl Suzuke jeep or small jeep and believe me I speak from experience and that's without mentioning all the young men's funeral I have attended here in the states, including my only son's..................So word to the wise...........

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
There's only two kinds of Pasola riders. The one's who've had really bad accidents and the one's who will.

Last time I went to my wife's home town the kid (20-21 years old) next door who always ran errands for the family had lost his leg at the hip and smashed his skull in. He was released from the hospital prematurely (Surprise) and his head was still wrong so he tried to ride again and crashed almost instantly and split his skull open again. Luckily, he's almost got his wits about him again (He was no Einstein to begin with). He says he's the lucky because the other two pasola drivers and his passenger all died in that same accident. It's just so common people don't even blink an eye when someone dies on a scooter or cycle.

That and it's a poor business decision as noted in this post. I'm one of the first guys to say "Come on down and give it whirl, it might just work!!" but even I can't envision this working. As stated here, people at that price point rarely pay cash so it's all credit. You wanna give credit to poor Dominicans? Plus, since you're not Dominican it's a license to steal from you. I seriously suggest you rethink this and find yourself a different business model.

scrubmuncher

On Vacation!
Jul 6, 2007
Sorry pal, as you will by now have figured not a good plan. You might get a slight gap with bigger bikes, choppers and bigger road bikes but I suspect their is a reason they are not as common, and still the odd bike rental place has one now and again.

As for the person requiring a bike for her son. You can buy a brand new 125 trail bike for 28,000, can't think of the name, they are a bit plasticy, but a few people have got them around Sosua now and they seem good value for money. Although someone will come along and contradict that I'd sure.

scrubmuncher

On Vacation!
Jul 6, 2007
The accident stats is international, not just DR. I'm sure she is aware of the possible hazards that are around when on a bike. Personally I don't think the statistics are that bad considering the amount of bikes their are. For sure bikes will be the biggest cause of death, it is what they drive at that age.