3 rd lane for Cabarete Highway !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Felucho (Felix Jimenez) another senseless decision.

Goverment decided to build a 3 rd lane through Cabarete, instead of decreasing traffic and slowing it down ( Bypass) , they trying to speed it up !!

Turismo construirá un tercer carril en Cabarete

Anybody knows something about this insane plan?

IMHO this will destroy Cabarete.
They've been talking about this ever since they built the walls of Jericho.
Apparently the swamp that it's proposed to go through, always lands up being the reason they back out of the plan.

Hmmmmm, I see this is a new plan where they would squeeze the 3rd lane into the existing space.
Good luck.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
So sad

If I read the article correctly, the plan is to eliminate parking in town, build parking lots east & west of town (parking fee not mentioned) and provide free transportation by 2 buses into town.

Would be nice to hear details of the plan, because on the surface it sounds horrible.

1. Congested streets are bad, but a lot safer than when the streets are clear and cars and big trucks come through at 100kph.
  2. The process to go have breakfast/lunch/dinner or shop in town: drive to a parking lot, wait on a bus, ride into town, get dropped off in town 50 meters from your destination, eat, walk to the bus stop, wait for the bus, return to the parking lot.
  3. The process if raining? See #2 above and add soaking wet clothes.

And what direction exactly does this 3rd lane flow? Bwahahahaha.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
If I read the article correctly, the plan is to eliminate parking in town, build parking lots east & west of town (parking fee not mentioned) and provide free transportation by 2 buses into town.

Would be nice to hear details of the plan, because on the surface it sounds horrible.
  1. Congested streets are bad, but a lot safer than when the streets are clear and cars and big trucks come through at 100kph.
  2. The process to go have breakfast/lunch/dinner or shop in town: drive to a parking lot, wait on a bus, ride into town, get dropped off in town 50 meters from your destination, eat, walk to the bus stop, wait for the bus, return to the parking lot.
  3. The process if raining? See #2 above and add soaking wet clothes.
And what direction exactly does this 3rd lane flow? Bwahahahaha.
I agree that it's ridiculous and will never happen.
The swamp road would be more sensible and that won't work either.

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
are they barking mad*? I actually think Cabarete was safer when the road was a mess, now it's nicely tarmacked, the traffic just moves faster. Proposing to make it fly through the town even faster will ruin it.

*that may be a rhetorical question

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
All they need to do is have the AMET stop people from parking on the south side, or even stopping for any reason. Give a few tickets, tow some cars and have AMET actively working to keep the traffic flowing.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
are they barking mad*? I actually think Cabarete was safer when the road was a mess, now it's nicely tarmacked, the traffic just moves faster. Proposing to make it fly through the town even faster will ruin it.

*that may be a rhetorical question
Pure insanity.
It will always be that way unless they were to expropriate properties to widen it, and if they did that, there would be a war.
A bypass could work or leave it as is, and as SKY mentions, police it a bit better.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Variable at different parts. Rumoured they will have 'give way to oncoming traffic' signs
Picture of Give Way Sign -- Give way to oncoming vehicles sign isolated on blue
and that priority will change along the street to allow for movement of traffic.............:laugh::laugh:
or perhaps this:
Ceda el paso - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre
I just wonder how those signs will go down over here ...... quite successfully I suspect.
a. they are in ENGLISH which is good for 'International learning' skills
b. they are for LEFT HAND DRIVING conditions - perfectly suitable for Dominican driving! :cheeky: :ermm:

Usually there are two lanes through towns & roads on the North Coast - NEAR side & FAR side. Perhaps the third lane will not be an increase lane, just one to be called ........ SUICIDE?? - Grahame

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Does this mean the rumor that they were going to make the el choco road the bypass is no more??? I hope so.

Bob K

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
I agree with Sky, AMET needs to enforce the law

Cabarete is a town where no traffic laws are observed by pedestrians, motos, cars, and trucks. In my considerable travels around the world, I feel it is one of the most dangerous places to drive a car. The probabilities of having an accident are high. But no laws are enforced. But this seems to be ''the norm'' in the DR, but worse in Cabarete. If you have an accident, who could measure the possible repercussions?

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
The AMET solution worked on Semana Santa, but there was an officer every 30 yards or so......not very likely they will employ that many officers year round........
And by the way where are they going to put the new lane....hardly any room on the sidewalk now.....
The new by-pass ...... ma?ana

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Cabarete is a town where no traffic laws are observed by pedestrians, motos, cars, and trucks. In my considerable travels around the world, I feel it is one of the most dangerous places to drive a car. The probabilities of having an accident are high. But no laws are enforced. But this seems to be ''the norm'' in the DR, but worse in Cabarete. If you have an accident, who could measure the possible repercussions?

Now there you go again with your "Generalities" Papa Benito & incorrect ones at that. For my edification, would you like to give me statistics as to HOW MANY accidents occur each day or even each week in Cabarete? No, NOT your guesstimate as that will be highly screwed by your pessimism ...... but actual facts!!

I would certainly agree with you that driving in the DR is not the highest level possible in the world & I would also agree that 'policing' & 'law enforcement' for traffic violations are limited & oft times 'subjective', but to make such sweeping statements as you do above AND the derogatory nature with which you make them, is both unfair & untrue. I have been a 'professional driver' (no, not formula one or anything in the racing world - a person who travelled the roads in the line of earning a living) for 35 plus years & I do not find the driving here any more frightening (if you use your head to think about what could, might or WILL happen round the next corner) than most other places in the world.
Paris ring road at rush hour???
Hyde Park Corner, Spaghetti Junction, M4, M25, M40 & M3 section of the London ring road system??
Tripoli? Port Suez, Cairo???
Nairobi? Mombassa??

I have not visited India or Indonesia to encounter THEIR traffic problems but from what I hear, they are quite extensive & similar or worse than those of the DR. Did you try getting around the centre of Santo Domingo during your short stay in the DR? How did that stack up against Cabarete?

Please, we are well aware of your dislike for 'things Dominican' by previous posts you have made & that you have now left us for another country. Perhaps you can now start focusing on blaming all their 'faults' rather than reflecting on your past displeasures of here?? ..........:pirate:...:paranoid:.... Please, PRETTY please!! :cheeky: - Grahame.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I had time to get out of a taxi during rush hour in Nairobi, went to a store, bought a pair of jeans and the cab was still in the same block when I came out.
Those who were in a real rush, drove on the sidewalks.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i've heard that ages ago they planned to get the road AROUND cabarete leaving the center for pedestriand and internal traffic?
where on earth would the trird line go? lots of buildings are so close to the road!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Do the same as they do in Quebec of course, just repaint the lines and voila, two lanes become three (a bit narrower, of course - LOL).
Gregg

"cheap and fast" solution. accidentally the same set of words can describe cabarete girls as well... :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
I don't find the traffic to be a problem in Cabarete, as a pedestrian. But if parking was banned from the centre the through traffic would flow easily, and as a result, quickly. It would then become more dangerous for pedestrian. Either build around the town or leave it alone.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
" The concept of yielding to oncoming traffic in a third lane will be very interesting to observe and a potential nightmare to drive with it"

Most two lanes I drive around here have "oncoming traffic" in the third middle lane. So Mike this is nothing new. I especially like the NO REBASE sign between Cab and Sosua and the road has a dotted line on it in the same area. Or the Cherimicos sign pointing to the right at the light by Caribe tours. However that is a one way street in the opposite direction

Bob K

Status
Not open for further replies.