Luperon Questions and Taxis

Status
Not open for further replies.

iondy

Aug 28, 2007
Hi folks, first post on here so Hi everyone. We are staying in Luperon for 2 weeks from the 12th September and have a couple of queries/worries I was hoping you guys would be able to help with. :)

First off, transfer from the Airport (Puerto Plata), does anyone know what the current taxi prices are or is it better to just pre-book transfers online?

There are lots of excursions we want to do but are a little worried as Luperon seems a bit out of the way. Do most companies pick up from Luperon? (namely Iguana Mama & Isaira Tours) I have asked them but not had a response yet.

What is the rough Taxi price into Puerto Plata from Luperon? Are these per person or for the car as a whole?

Many thanks for any answers! :)

Sam

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
The posted taxi rate for POP airport to Luperon in May was $80US. That is for the car for up to four passengers.

Most excursions pick up in Luperon but there may be a transportation surcharge to cover the extra distance.

E-mail Martin (Isaira Tours) at espinal30@msn.com to verify for specific tours.

Gregg

iondy

Aug 28, 2007
Hi Gregg,

Many thanks for the reply! Much appreciated.

If anybody has a rough idea on costs of Taxis from Luperon to Puerto Plata town/resorts it would be much appreciated too? :)

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
From Luperon to Puerto Plata, catch a publico (shared taxi), change at Imbert. About 100 pesos each way.

iondy

Aug 28, 2007
That sounds brilliant, thanks London777! :)

I don't suppose you know what hours these run between do you?

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
That sounds brilliant, thanks London777! :)

I don't suppose you know what hours these run between do you?
Publicos leave as soon as they have enough passengers to fill all the seats. From Sosua or Puerto Plata that would usually take only 5 to 15 minutes waiting, but in a small town like Luperon it might take a lot longer. Only way round that if there are not many other passengers is to "buy" more places yourself (still a lot cheaper than a private taxi). Note that publicos will always squash four passengers on a back seat intended for three, and two passengers up front next to the driver where there should only be one, so if you are a large person you will definitely want to buy double seats anyway.

Another problem with a small town like Luperon is that they may not run, or very infrequently, late at night.

They drive recklessly and are typically badly maintained, so are not for the faint-hearted. A ten peso tip will ensure your choice of music if you don't fancy reggaeton, but I have found the only way to get them to turn down the volume is to pretend to be making a cell-phone call.

On the other hand you do get to meet the locals up close and personal. I have had all shapes and sizes of locals in my lap from petite and fragrant putas on their way to work to sweating braceros from the canefields.

If you want to hire the whole publico for you or your party it will still work out cheaper than a normal private taxi. Problem is the driver will still stop to pick up their "cousins" along the route to make a few more pesos. I have protested that these additional passengers should pay me instead as I had hired the whole taxi, but this concept was difficult for the taxista to comprehend.

Status
Not open for further replies.