21 Things You Should Know - New DR1 Article!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
So you?ve decided to come to the Dominican Republic for a vacation. You start packing everything you think you?ll need for your short stay in paradise. In go the bathing suits, sunglasses, sun tan lotion, sandals, and with it you start wondering what your vacation destination will be like. You head to the airport and before you board the plane you decide to buy a travel guide, thinking the book will give you all the great details to make your trip even more amazing. Beware!

Click here to read more...

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
Germans and many Europeans drink beer during the day, even in the morning...it's not something just dominicans do.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
it's a good one, Robert... We?ll use it every time a new poster asks how is it to live in DR !

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
I was wondering, who writes the articles: expats living in DR or Dominicans? Because they're accurate. As I read I couldn't help but agree and nod....and laugh hehe.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I was wondering, who writes the articles: expats living in DR or Dominicans? Because they're accurate. As I read I couldn't help but agree and nod....and laugh hehe.

They are either written by people that work here at DR1 (Dominicans and Expats) or freelances that live here in the DR.

We have 40 articles now and they're all excellent and give a real insight into how things work in the Dominican Republic.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
And we can add to no 5) The meaning of "fasten your seatbelts we will be landing in a minute" is really "jump up open the overhead bins and pull out your bags".

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
They are either written by people that work here at DR1 (Dominicans and Expats) or freelances that live here in the DR.

We have 40 articles now and they're all excellent and give a real insight into how things work in the Dominican Republic.

I haven't read all of them, but the impression of the few ones I've read is that they're excellent. Therefore my previous question, because even tho Dominicans can agree to most if not everything, we're so used to it that it takes an expat or tourist to make us "open our eyes".

My SO enjoyed this article as well (he's a Viking), and he's experienced some of those things as well :) we can't wait to be back in Feb! :D

Keep up the good work writers!

Maggie6872

Jul 18, 2005
no quiero Chiclets!

I had to pick myself up off the floor after reading about the Chiclets Currency.
It happened to me on my first trip to the DR many years ago. I had a bad case of TMJ at the time and the cashier didn't have any single pesos to complete the cambio, so she gave me some Chiclets on top of my change.....and my reply was "Gracias, pero no me gusta Chiclets" with my handful of change still there- with the Chiclets on top. So she opened up the pack, started chomping away and gave me a big smile!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Tempero-mandibular joint syndrome...the joints that control the motion of your jaw!;)

paradise07

Jan 6, 2007
So funny and true !!1

I love the article...it is so true...especially the Chiclets currency an the Vicks Vapor rub....I cannot tell you how many times I have been offered "menthol" to cure my ailments...what ever they may be !!! LOL

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Both amusing and accurate - will send the link to all our future visitors before they arrive!!

Ref. 8) If its the UK - some have heard of London.

Ref. 19) Also taboo to swim in the cool river after slaving over a hot bbq - think our very aged grandfather of our worker did it and got a heart attack and died... probably more due to the fact that he was 85+ than the cold water!!

And to add one more which may exist elsewhere but we were never aware of the rule that trees for fence posts must only be cut at the time in the month when the moon is right (otherwise they will be useless within 12 months). Is this purely a DR philisophy too?

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
And to add one more which may exist elsewhere but we were never aware of the rule that trees for fence posts must only be cut at the time in the month when the moon is right (otherwise they will be useless within 12 months). Is this purely a DR philisophy too?

This one is intensely frustrating when you are trying to get work done on the farm....

Also, anyone seen people hanging towels over mirrors during thunderstorms?

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
What do you mean the tree posts will be useless in 12 months??? How will they be useless? Will they rot?

jltflrs

Jun 11, 2007
Thank you for the tips-very funny--and maybe its a hispanic thing, but the vicks applies in PR as well and I live in Mexico City and the maid tells me the same things about cold/ice drinks, etc.