Bus:Santo Domingo to Puerta Plata

D

DON

I am from the USA and will be in the DR from June 28 to July 3. All of this time I will be in Santo Domingo except from June 30 to July 2 when I want to travel by bus to Puerto Plata. Which bus should I take? Where do I get on? What are the schedules? What is the price? How long does it take?

Thank You!

S

Susan

Take the Metro

Metro Bus ? (809)566-7126 or (809)586-6062; Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata four hours RD$80; I've taken it twice and the ride was pleasant. The buses are modern, air-conditioned, and never over-packed.

D

dominicanyork

Re: Take the Metro

Why don't you plan for an overnight visit in Santiago? It is a Metro stop anyway. It is a good example of a midsize latin american provincialtown. It might not be in your realm of interests if what you want is to sip pinas coladas in the sand though. Great people. It could be a nice little adventure. Good luck.

C

charly

Take CARIBE TOURS*LOL* because...

from 6am to 6pm every full hour there ist a bus with airc./Tv and good service. But more commend to the locals so you can have nice company aside you*LOL* the price is 80$RD Peso.
Good luck+ fun.........
cu/charly

J

Jack Wampler

I have taken both and prefer the Metro. You might want to take a sweater though, as they run the air conditioning in the Metro on cold and really cold.
The Metro leaves every hour, but as I recall I believe there is a break from 11am until 2pm when there are no departures.

The Caribe Tours is ok and they did have TV. Still I think the Metro is better. You'll be surprised at how nice a ride it is. Much better than any bus service we have in the US. Plus they have a steward who serves little snacks and coffee. It's a luxury ride for sure. Riding time is about 4 and one half hours with a 15 or 20 minute stop in Santiago. Beautiful scenery along the way. Im sure you'll enjoy it.

P

Phyllis

I've never used Metro, but I just recently used Caribe Tours and was very impressed! 80 pesos one way, very comfortable, quiet (no loud music), cool but not too cold and it stopped in Santiago for about 10 minutes, but we still made it to Santo Domingo from Puerto Plata in 3.5 hours. I actually had the best 3 hour sleep I had all week while in the DR, LOL!!