The "rebirth of Salsa"Who are the experts on board?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I was catching up on some of this week's NY Times articles today where they mentioned how Salsa music has taken on a whole new life of its own(at least here in NYC)
I would really like to learn more about this subject especially how it relates to the DR.
Famous artists? Famous songs? Birth of the salsa?
Any and all information gratefully accepted.
john

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
I havent heard of such rebirth amongst dominican vocalists, as far as I am concerned...

I think Alex Bueno's "Jardin Prohibido" is the nicest Salsa song by a Dominican vocalist...
YouTube - ALEX BUENO - JARDIN PROHIBIDO It was a BIG HIT in Latin America

Notable Salsa Singers of DR:

El Canario (he was comissioned to play at the wedding of the future king/queen of Greece 12 years ago)
Alex Bueno
Juan Luis Guerra
Jhonny Pacheco
Can't remember the others..

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Ahi te va'

I was catching up on some of this week's NY Times articles today where they mentioned how Salsa music has taken on a whole new life of its own(at least here in NYC)
I would really like to learn more about this subject especially how it relates to the DR.
Famous artists? Famous songs? Birth of the salsa?
Any and all information gratefully accepted.
john
On the "Genearl Stuff" forum, check a thread tittled:

"Dominican Salseros- Where are they?".

You may find what you are looking for.

Btw: For me (NOTE: FOR ME), the best Dominican salseros are Henry Garcia and the Dominican Salsero with the most hits: Raulin Rosendo.

Anyways, check that thread.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I can tell you that a dominican was VERY prominent in the salsa movement-Johhny Pacheco. He co-founded Fania Records with Jerry Masucci in 1963.

Born in Santiago(where else? LOL!!) he moved to NYC in the 1940s and attended Juliard where he played percussion.

I could go on and on, but for those who already know this it would be redundant.

One of the reasons salsa has experienced a resurgence is because Fania had decided to remaster the music and put it out in an organized fashion and I can tell you that the music is selling WELL.

I myself have never cared for salsa until now but I have been drawn by the history and the music is just incredible.

I have started slowly, going from Eddie Palmieri to Willie Colon and now Hector Lavoe. And along the way I have educated myself on the history and it is important to realize that in the hands of these musical geniuses it is something for ALL latinos to be proud of.

Jan 5, 2006
Historically, the most important person is Johnny Pacheco, although he is not an singer. His influence was felt mostly outside of DR.

Cuco Valoy is probably the most influential in DR. That's where the great Henry Garcia came from, and he also served as the inspiration for many others.

IMO, the best singer of all time is Raulin Rosendo. Alex Bueno had a better voice and more talent, but lacks the longevity and number of hits, due mostly to having wasted his career to drug addiction. Raulin Rosendo somehow managed to stay relevant, despite his own personal battles with the same demons.

Currently on the DR salsa scene, the best known are Michel (brilliant IMO), Sexappeal, and Minino.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
I learned to dance with Raulin Rosendo's CD from 1991: Solamente Salsa. Oh my God, the memories...

There are many Dominican salsa singers, but like many here have stated Raulin Rosendo and Alex Bueno are among the best.

Love this thread...

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I think there is a resurgence in Salsa at least in NYC. I 'm planning to take lessons, i only know basic steps, no turns or any of the fancy foot work, which I love.

Raulin Rosendo
Jose Alberto (El Canario)
I never knew Alex Bueno for being a salsero???????

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
So you NYC wanna-be and salsa lovers.... lets do a get together at LQ's on a Wednesday night. After work, free buffet and free salsa lessons. The atmosphere is great: good and bad dancers all together mingling. Adult crowd and everybody is ready to teach and learn.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
So you NYC wanna-be and salsa lovers.... lets do a get together at LQ's on a Wednesday night. After work, free buffet and free salsa lessons. The atmosphere is great: good and bad dancers all together mingling. Adult crowd and everybody is ready to teach and learn.

ok I'm in, let's do it.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I can tell you that a dominican was VERY prominent in the salsa movement-Johhny Pacheco. He co-founded Fania Records with Jerry Masucci in 1963.

Born in Santiago(where else? LOL!!) he moved to NYC in the 1940s and attended Juliard where he played percussion.

I could go on and on, but for those who already know this it would be redundant.

One of the reasons salsa has experienced a resurgence is because Fania had decided to remaster the music and put it out in an organized fashion and I can tell you that the music is selling WELL.

I myself have never cared for salsa until now but I have been drawn by the history and the music is just incredible.

I have started slowly, going from Eddie Palmieri to Willie Colon and now Hector Lavoe. And along the way I have educated myself on the history and it is important to realize that in the hands of these musical geniuses it is something for ALL latinos to be proud of.

I just wished that the directors and producers (Lopez) of "El Cantante" could have heard you. It would have made a more educational movie on the birth of Salsa and not a "drug tragedy'. ;)

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
You are correct

Hey:

That is a VERY good idea. You can count on me being there. I go once in a while. It is a very good deal. The food is ok. After work, so you can be home early if you have to work the next day.

Please try to plan.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
I keep hearing that about the movie. I wanted to see it at the movies b/c of the music, but then I'm told is not about Salsa, is about him doing drugs. Guess I can wait to hear JLo's screetch when I get it in the mail throught Blockbuster... Too bad.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I keep hearing that about the movie. I wanted to see it at the movies b/c of the music, but then I'm told is not about Salsa, is about him doing drugs. Guess I can wait to hear JLo's screetch when I get it in the mail throught Blockbuster... Too bad.

It did not even make 4 million.

A TOTAL flop.

moviemouth

Jul 12, 2005
Source for Classic Salsa

I have spent mucho tiempo searching for recordings of classic salsa I used to hear on The Syphony Sid Show back in the day. The best source I have ever come across for digital remasters of so many of the really classic salsa albums going waaaay back is a website: Descarga.com: Home. Check it out.

Last edited:

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Just a suggestion

;);)

LQ NEW YORK CLASSIC SALSA WEDNESDAYS
Live Performance by JOSE ALBERTO "El Canario"
Complimentary Buffet and 2 for 1 Drinks 6pm to 7pm
Salsa/Mambo Lesson every Wednesday at 8pm!
Music by Legendary Club DJ's...NORTY COTTO and DJ QUEST
In the main room: Salsa, Merengue & Bachata
In the Q room: R&B, Reggae, House, & Disco Classics
LQ NEW YORK 511 Lexington Avenue & 48th Street, NYC
Doors Open 6pm ~ 21 & Over, ID Required ~ Dress In Good Taste!
LADIES $5 ADMISSION ALL NIGHT/ Gents $10 Admission All Night
For table reservations or more information call: (212) 593-7575

calendar