Phone to europe

Harryvb

Sep 8, 2007
Hey

We going to iberostar dominicana and we like to now if there is something like a local phone cell around, or else the best way to call home from there to europe (belgium), local sim card for a cell phone ?

thanks
Harry

Caren M.

Jan 27, 2006
We found that it was cheaper to use the lobby phone. Iberostar Bavaro lobby has a phone next to the reservations desk. I am sure Dominicana does too. .

Feb 7, 2007
From Orange prepaid SIM card, a call to Europe is at about 50 cents of dollar (16 pesos per minute). Same price calling Europe landline and mobile phones.

You can recharge by buying recharge cards and entering the secret code.

Harryvb

Sep 8, 2007
Thanks Rubio

Were can i buy this card , we will be staying in iberostar dominicana.

Harry

Feb 7, 2007
Most probably the local gift shop in the resort will sell them. If not, investigate where is the employee's store (it would be close to employees' quarters) and check there. If not, your last option is the colmado (mixed goods store" outside of Iberostar, on the intersection before getting to the hotel, opposite the local electrical sub-station.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Orange SIM Needed

Hi there

I think rubio_higuey is talking about being able to buy the top up credit from the gift shop or colmado.....however in order to load the credit onto the phone you will first need to purchase the Orange SIM card.

You will need to visit an Orange store to buy one of these (around 300 pesos with 100 pesos credit), your cellphone will need to be unlocked and you will need either your passport or a cedular as proof of identity.

I heard that you can also hire local cellphones that you pick up from the airport when you arrive = that way all you need to do is buy the credit and you are good to go. I am sure someone on here will be able to give you more info.

Enjoy your trip

daydream

Feb 7, 2007
Yes that's right, you need to buy a SIM card (with number) first, then you buy top up credits.

The SIM card, you can buy in plaza Caribe (is that the name)? in front of Banco Progreso, right on the side of Farmacia.

You will see a big orange sign that says Orange Shop.

Open till 5pm.

Harry

Apr 29, 2002
Hey

How do we get to plaza caribe from iberostar?
By bus or by foot ?

grtz
Harry

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the spot is named Plaza Larimar across the street of banco de progreso.
from the iberostar hotel you grab the public bus, $1.- per person per ride, it is just a 10 minues drive. the plaza is small, the orange shop has big signs on, so you can't miss it.
to get back to the hotel you stop the bus across the street, they drop you off close to the hotel's entrance.
have fun
Mike