Advice needed - School...

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
I have a question that has been on my mind the last little while and especially since my last trip in August.
We currently have a school providing 70 Haitiano children with an education, meal, bus transportation, etc.

Now the reason for us providing the school is because the children and parents do not have cedula's and the children do not have birth certificates either. Most of the children were born in the RD and some had come from Haiti.
We do have some Dominicano children attending as well - as all are welcome.

In some ways I feel we are providing a better education than what the RD school system can provide but in the overall picture I am wondering if it would be better for the child/student to be assimilated into the RD school system.

The money we spend may be better spent on trying to get the paperwork done, ie. birth certificate or cedula's for parents, and helping the child get into the RD school.

We then could provide more of a daycare for the younger children and focus on training the parents to learn a skill, literacy programs, micro loans, etc.
We were planning to be registered with the RD government next year as we grew and funds became available.

What would you suggest?
Would it be better to have the children within the RD school system?

Any advice from would be appreciated since this would mean a big change in our mandate and I do want what's best for the children and families.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Given the recent court decisions, it seems to me that your children should be sent to public schools. That way you can concentrate on after school training and on getting their paperwork in order...
All children have a right to schooling!!

HB

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I have a question that has been on my mind the last little while and especially since my last trip in August.
We currently have a school providing 70 Haitiano children with an education, meal, bus transportation, etc.

Now the reason for us providing the school is because the children and parents do not have cedula's and the children do not have birth certificates either. Most of the children were born in the RD and some had come from Haiti.
We do have some Dominicano children attending as well - as all are welcome.

In some ways I feel we are providing a better education than what the RD school system can provide but in the overall picture I am wondering if it would be better for the child/student to be assimilated into the RD school system.

The money we spend may be better spent on trying to get the paperwork done, ie. birth certificate or cedula's for parents, and helping the child get into the RD school.

We then could provide more of a daycare for the younger children and focus on training the parents to learn a skill, literacy programs, micro loans, etc.
We were planning to be registered with the RD government next year as we grew and funds became available.

What would you suggest?
Would it be better to have the children within the RD school system?

Any advice from would be appreciated since this would mean a big change in our mandate and I do want what's best for the children and families.

It seems to me that there are not enough schools, so, if you can provide an equal or better education in your school for a similar amount of money than what it would take to continuously assist children and their families with their paper work so that they could apply for enrollment in public schools, I would favor continuing doing what you apparently have been good at; giving education.

Teaching can be a wonderful experience while pushing papers never has been.

That's my opinion not knowing most of all the facts.

... J-D.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
We do feel we offer a better education and with providing the meal as well it makes a big difference with many of the children.

Given that the level of education may not be as good within the public system they would be with their peers and within the system then.

The goal for the long term would be for us to offer grades all the way up to completion (secondary or as I call it Grade 12) but that is a while off.

We could offer other programs for the students such as English or French after their school day - this would be a good addition and giving them a heads up for life.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
...Any advice from would be appreciated since this would mean a big change in our mandate and I do want what's best for the children and families.
Did you discuss the options with parents and kids or solicit their input? I know your intention is helping, but they may have some of your answers.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
montreal - the school is located in Los Charimicos (the opposite end of Sosua Beach from El Batey).

shad - I am not sure what they would say. I don't imagine the families would return to Haiti so the offer of papers may be enticing but not sure how they would feel about the public school either
(they don't pay for the schooling we provide now and we would cover school costs if the child were to enter public ie. uniform, supplies, shoes etc) - good question

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I never go contrary to the Hillbilly .. but in this case I'm all for the 'teach fishing' approach. If the kids are educated, they can figure out their own paperwork.

Anyway, why not schooling and paperwork, instead of schooling or paperwork? Just asking?

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
The question came up as to what is better with the current court decisions and the issue having arisen it now be easier for the children to get into a RD school.

It is a new question for us and we may do both - but depends on funds - like most things.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
The question came up as to what is better with the current court decisions and the issue having arisen it now be easier for the children to get into a RD school.

It is a new question for us and we may do both - but depends on funds - like most things.

Well, it's all easy saying this, while we (or at least I) don't actually do it, but even if undocumented children now could have unfeathered access to public schools, why not continue doing something that is good anyway and maybe give the opportunity to the most deserving ones (like the ones who value your effort by paying the most attention a.s.f)?

... J-D.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Good point J D.
Guess we will see.

Am wondering if the students would be more widely accepted and integrated going to school with other Dominicano children as well.
They already live and play in the same area.

However, many of the children have said they want their own Haitian school.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Good point J D.
Guess we will see.

Am wondering if the students would be more widely accepted and integrated going to school with other Dominicano children as well.
They already live and play in the same area.

However, many of the children have said they want their own Haitian school.

I think that asking children what school they want is going a tad over board. Did anybody ask YOU what (elementary) school you wanted to go to. And, Haitian schools... they should be able to find one or two in Haiti, with all due respect.
I may sound harsh here, but if they are the beneficiaries of your and / or this countries help, they should be thankful and make the best of it.
Yes, they should be integrated with Dominicanos, after all, if they grow up here, chances are their life will be here.

... J-D.