2007: A Call Center ODDyssey

John_John

May 31, 2007
Ok, so while being unemployed for just about three months, and tired of looking through Aldaba, Infoempleos.net, and other sources, I decided to go for a ride into what most of us [25+ yr old college students] regard as the lowest form of employement: The Dreaded Call Centers....

I started my journey, with a reference from a friend who had just recently applied to one located at the San Isidro FreeZone. Now, for "legal" reasons, I won't say the names of the places i'm about to make reference to; however, I will give you a clear reference. The one I am talking about right now, has a name that sounds like rock-oh-oh... Hahaha. After taking what seemed to be an elementary schools 1st grade english test, I was interviewed by one of their recruiters. I was actually told, that my english was "too good" to work in this call center. Honestly, I thought she should be fired and someone whose english is actually "too good to work there" should be the one doing her work. Long story short, I was called back about 7 weeks later, but by then I had already heard all the horror stories about the center by SEVERAL ex-employees. Now, had only one or two told me these stories, I would have paid little attention... When I spoke to ex-employee #13, it sort of became clear... My friend, who directed me to this place to begin with, only stayed for 3 days of the training. Once she saw that if you get sick, you don't get paid for sick days, not even the first three as the old labor code states, she thought she might not like to be an angry ex-employee... She would be a VERY angry one... Stone-throwing kind... So, she left...

Then, among the many other ones I tried, there was one that seemed quite promising, one whose name is something about "shores"... But, they are looking for experienced translators in the medical field, while offering a per-hour fixed pmnt rate of RD$85.00 - RD$120.00 So, I was denied a position, even though I do posess said experience, simply because it was not recent. All of this only to learn within a few days, that I can get paid up to US$8.00+ at a very upscale center in the SIFZ as well as similar hourly rates in other facilities inside the city.

Now, the third one that i'm about to mention, is the main cause why i'm writing this note.

While looking for another place to apply, I came across one that is located right on that strange mall located on 27 and Lincoln... Why did I go there? Well, they posted an ad on Diario Libre stating "INBOUND CALLS... NO SELLING INVOLVED... CUSTOMER CARE POSITIONS"... When I got my interview, the first thing they did was record my voice, while reading a sales-oriented script, where I would be calling someone and offering them a product. Next, they call me in for a training. Here's where it went downhill:

-I was going to make no less than 70 calls each day. With a varying quota, regarding "hits".

-They won't pay the first 15 days, as it is considered "training". According to Secretary of labor, this is ILLEGAL. Both for Dominicans or Foreigners. You are supposed to get paid a proportional amount as of the day and hour you start working, wether you are Dominican or not, resident or not.

-After a three hour training, and a three hour "shadowing" process, they sit you in front of a computer, where you start working. Still, not getting paid, since you're within those 15 "training" days.

And here's the best part: Have you ever wondered why you are getting a call from a stranger, claiming that they're just updating their database, and asking you details about your office personnel, stating names and positions occupied by your co-workers? And they will not give you a company name they work for... or where you can reach them... And then they call your co-workers and offer products, using YOU as a reference!? Bingo!

Needless to say, I am done with the call center ordeal. I am two steps away from accepting my cousin's nepotism-based offer to work for the Goverment. It will be like a stain on my resum? for as long as a different party rules the Goverment, and I might be out of work for years after that, but in the meantime, someone has to pay the bills!

jaderebel

Sep 14, 2007
wow, that's just messed up how can they not pay for training or sick days, somebody needs to clearly shut these slavery companies off. well i am looking to move there on march to start school and I was looking at some other calling thing but it's from home and they pay $6US, all I need is a computer and I can work on my own time, does this sound to good to be true?? what school do you go to? I plan on going to UNIBE. What other job options do you see in santo domingo?

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Obviously the places you went to work for have more applicants than they know what to do with or else they would be forced to treat employees in a more competetive manner.

If what you are saying is true, then I must be treating my employees way too well, since I pay full wage for training.

No sick days though, I have too many hypochondriac employees. I sometimes authorize descretionary paid personal days for salaried staff but never for hourly employees, I would be up to my ears in "certificado medico" slips whenever somebody wanted to party.

John_John

May 31, 2007
The Saga continues

A new week starts, and I have more places on sight to check out... It has actually become an interesting social experiment for me, to go out and see what recruiters are actually doing. Since they are the opposite side to unemployment, and they are the ones in charge of getting the right people into their companies, it really amazes me to see how they manage the human resources they get...

BTW, I just sent MrMike and jaderbel some pvt mssgs. I will update the adventure later on.

Does anyone need a bilingual assistant out there?

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
John John
MrMike's and a few other call centers in Santiago Pay full wages and have a very competitive commission plans. last time I check their are over 200 small to mid sizes call center between Santiago nad the DN. As a call center owner i will encourage you to apply t other call centers. You might want to start with Data Vimenca even shoot me an email I can get you an interview. Mike I was paying sick days and as you mention out of the 26 working days we have 2 where sick days. had to stop it and now every one works.

John_John

May 31, 2007
Does anyone know about an interpreting center located on Tiradentes? Allegedly, they're hiring, but the receptionist was not helpful at all when I called and asked about the best way to deliver my CV... she said "what you saw in the paper is what you need to know"... then I said "I did not get the number from the paper, but from a friend of mine who just gave me the brief info... do you have a physical adress? or an email I can use?" she said "Call back later"... Should I?

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
wages?

Do call centres in DR hire English only speaking representatives? If so, what would a person make (on average)?

What would a bilingual person make (on average)?

Thanks.

vigalanty_raulin

Feb 2, 2007
do you know where I can get a good job , In a good call center

do you know where I can get a good job , In a good call center

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
answer

Do call centres in DR hire English only speaking representatives? If so, what would a person make (on average)?

What would a bilingual person make (on average)?

Thanks.

about 100 to 120 pesos an hour depening on the project, and yes they hire english speaking only, no difference in pay for being bilingual,

Jan 21, 2006
We have just posted a classified ad yesterday for secretarial support in the classifieds section here on DR1 if anyone is interested. Not quite the same as a call center, I would find it more interesting. We do offer paid training, however it is salary based, not per hour. However if a call center pays 100-120 per hour it would work out to be about the same after training.

If interested, just submit your cv through the contact HR link on the classified ad.

John_John

May 31, 2007
Vigalanty Raulin

Out of the 34 call center experiences i've had in the recent past, I can only recommend the following:

1.- Language Line Services... They provide over-the-phone translation services, which requires you to have a very good grasp of both languages [english - spanish]... it seems as if they do provide some good wages, and a very professional environment... getting in is the tough part... i've seen many going in for the interviews, but seems like they really take effort in testing your skills before even letting you go in for a second interview... they're located at the San Isidro Free Zone, which makes it a far catch for anyone living in the "city"...

2.- Vimenca is ok, but it certainly is a bit messy when it comes to arranging an interview... their tests are something you could compare to a 3rd grade mid-term. Wagewise, they're on the low end of the scale, and have a very strict dress code [picture a 7th day baptist church] BUT their incredibly accessible location at the very heart of the city, makes it easier to consider...

3.- Nearshore, though I now know they recruit for a couple other call centers... The wages are ok, mid level range, and quite nicely located too... However, I don't have any info on what is the average stay of an employee there... i've heard many people tell me about being switched from one project to another on average, three times a month... Two people have actually told me, that each time they were changed, they were told they were back to where they started [on training period, and would have to wait three months to acquire benefits...].... I cannot confirm or deny that point...

So, there are even more call centers... but i'm officially done with them... I've decided to take my friend's advice, and will start a pica-longa place in los alcarrizos... everyone's welcome to come by!