entrena immersion program

R

rick

sarah, i've been trying to contact entrena with the number you posted on here, but their phone line has been busy for the last three days. is this common? do you know if they have a second phone line, or any additional means of contact, e.g. e-mail or fax?

thanks,

rick.

S

Sarah

Hi Rick,

Three other #s are listed in the Paginas Amarillas DR 809-563-1180, 563-1171, & 547-3733. But they just ring constantly. And I am also getting a busy signal at the # I previously posted, 809-541-4283. I'll keep trying. If I can get through, I'll ask them to email or fax me some current info and pass it along to you. Sorry for the trouble.

~Sarah

R

rick

i was able to get through to 809-567-8990 and speak to a man named rafeal. thanks for the additional numbers; it was a person at one of those who directed me to rafeal. he said that entrena is located in ezaristo morales. can you provide any info on this area, e.g. location in comparison to city landmarks that i may be familiar with from spendig 1 week there previously, how it is to travel from homestay family location to classes, how it is to go out places (clubs, museums, etc...) from the class location or homestay...

thanks again so much...you've been really helpful

rick

S

Sarah

Yes, Rafael is the person I made arrangements with 5 years ago! I was able to use public transit to and from class and the home where we stayed very easily and inexpensively. It is centrally located, although I cannot think of landmarks nearby. Museums, restaurants, clubs, etc are all close. Maybe Rafael could fax you a map of the general area. Good luck to you, Sarah

T

Tom F.

Entena's administrative office is on Abraham Lincon I think. They provide the classes at a training center on the outskirts of town around kilometer 14 or 15 on the highway to Santiago. They arrange living with family who are mostly of modest means. I was a Peace Corps Volunteer and went through their training in 1987. The moved and have a very nice place after a visit last year. The staff is professional and they are also involved with monitoring some development money from AID. You will find both their Dominican and US staff to be informative and interesting people. You may find a need to change the family assignment if the situation is strange. Some of us PC volunteers lived under strange circumstances. I lived with a great family that 10 years later visited me in NYC and I still see when I am in the country. I think they give the higher paying customers the choice families (not from a position of wealth). Try the public transportation. After a month or so, I found that taxis and walking are much better ways of getting around the capital. The route and time of day determine whether a comfortable ride can be had. The new big buses they have look like an improvement, but you get real close in a carro publico, van or small bus. It is an amazing experience for those not used to it. Prepare yourself the music may be loud.

R

rick

what do you mean when you say the living situation may be "strange?"

thanks for the heads up,

rick

T

Tom F.

I was trying to be nice, but there were a few families that were doing it strictly for the money. When this is the case, you will find the food, the living arrangements, and the general attititude of the household to be less than adequate. Their were a few of us (out of 47) that either spent as least amount of time with the family or decided they couldn't spend anytime there. Entrena pays their employees and the families based on local costs and standards even though most of their contracts are in US$$$.

R

rick

so what would you suggest...possibly arranging for my own accomodations, or only arranging to stay with a family for the first week and then take it from there?

how difficult is it to switch families if i do feel uncomfortable after a few days/week?

thanks,

rick

T

Tom F.

No, you will probably be set up with a wonderful family. When a group of Peace Corps trainees come in, they may have to scramble sometimes to get the number of families needed. If you, or a small group comes in, I am sure you are placed in a nice environment. Remember, this was almost 13 years ago. Entena has grown and has probably improved when necessary. Just be prepared to negociate a change if you feel it is necessary. They are a private business and paying customers have this right.