Wood doors for new villa

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgios

Oct 2, 2004
What would be a reasonable cost to supply and install a 3' x 7' interior door in
Mahogany complete with frame and casings? Hardware supplied by owner.

Any reliable woodworkers in the Sosua Cabarete area?
Is Santiago a better place to shop for wood doors?

Any other species of solid wood suggested (except Mahogany)?

Thanks in advance.
Georgios

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
cedar, sapel, purple heart, cabilla, and many others.

dont insist on true mahogany, it costs twice as much, but other woods will look the same or even better with a good finish......

A decent hardwood door will be at least 10000 RD installed. Get a good installer, a bad one will destroy your door.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I bought nice doors at Ochoa (Santiago) for my house a couple of years ago at good prices. They come with the frame and everything. The catch is that they do need to be standard sizes (i.e. 36X80). I'm sure they have even better selection now.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
ochoa doors are decent doors. most come without finish or installation. The price for a nice hardwood door is about 8K pesos. Pine doors are about 3.5K if i remember right. Neither are properly sanded for good finishing.

Buy decent door handles. I manufacture doors and windows here. anything under 600 RD tends to be broken very easily. Best Value hardware is about the worst. I have had about half of them broken right out of the sealed package

Antonio10

Apr 26, 2007
contact William at legendhomesnorthcoast.com he does wood work as well..... good and responsibale guy!
he is in sosua

georgios

Oct 2, 2004
Ochoa website

I bought nice doors at Ochoa (Santiago) for my house a couple of years ago at good prices. They come with the frame and everything. The catch is that they do need to be standard sizes (i.e. 36X80). I'm sure they have even better selection now.

Ochoa website is not working.
Do you have pricing for the doors?
What about finishing materials? Which material/varnish would be suitable for
oceanfront conditions?

Georgios

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
tropical marine spar varnish works well for the price, also availible in ochoa. Adding some stain to the varnish will make it last longer.

pressure treated pine makes a decent door, but it will warp more easily than hardwoods. Additionally the panels will shrink more than mahogany. Be sure to use a triple panel door style not a double. Because you are near the ocean, as the finish wears out, you may have a complicated refinishing job on your hands.

You will need to purchase quality stainless steel hinges. Stock hinges wont last near the ocean. Yank is a good brand name at a good price. There are better hinges but the price rises very sharply. Grease your hinges and interior parts of the handles with vasoline or similar and they will last much much longer.

georgios

Oct 2, 2004
Corrosion is an issue when located at the oceanfront...
installing glass into the window frames should provide some protection for the interior
fixtures of the house ( appliances, electronics etc). Most of the villas I saw don't have glass windows, I guess to get the nice breeze off the ocean to cool the house?

BTW, what about wood windows? Does Ochoa carry these?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I don't know the current prices. I bought mine a couple of years ago and they cost me 8,000 each (Caobilla, I think). I also bought several metal doors for bedrooms (the ones that look like the real thing) for about 3500 pesos each if I recall correctly. Installation was nothing as I was building a house and the Maestro who was building it for me did the installation.

georgios

Oct 2, 2004
wood windows with glass

I don't know the current prices. I bought mine a couple of years ago and they cost me 8,000 each (Caobilla, I think). I also bought several metal doors for bedrooms (the ones that look like the real thing) for about 3500 pesos each if I recall correctly. Installation was nothing as I was building a house and the Maestro who was building it for me did the installation.

Do your windows have glass?
How about louvers on the outside?

Status
Not open for further replies.