SWF moving-Info from the helpful!

J

Jen

I have been reading all the messages on the board for quite awhile so I'm up on all that I've read for the last two months. Plus, I've done a lot of my own research via the web (mostly links for the DR).

This is my deal in as much of a nutshell as I can. I'm a young, pretty, white woman who wants to buy a house and live in and make a living in the DR. I'm worried about my safety if I move down there. I'm afraid that I may be targeted if it's found out I live alone. Is it advisable to live in a security complex and, if so, will that be enough? I also have two dogs but, from what I read, bringing them down shouldn't be a problem. I was hoping to be able to put down money on a house and then make payments but don't know if this is an option. I heard it's tough to move in and be able to do this but I also heard, if you put enough down, this is an option. How much would I have to put down to realistically make this work? What about the land records? I read these are often a problem for investors due to bad land records and coruption?

I'm a well educated US citizen with web design training but am not really sure if I can make an enough of a living down there to survive in a house with payments. Of course, all the real estate agents say how cheap it is to make it but, of course I don't believe all the lines thrown at me!

I would appreciate any insights that are helpful.

Many thanks,

Jen

D

DR1

We recommend those considering relocating to the DR to rent before they buy. You should get to know the city where you choose to live to see if it is what you are looking for. If you rent, then you have time to check out the different neighborhoods and see which you prefer. For example, the area known as the Pol?gono Central (Piantini, Naco, Julieta) is being nicknamed Manhattan, and the tree-studded Gazcue area is known as Soho. Give yourself time to choose what you want to buy. The lowest mortgage you will get here is 18% per year, plus you will have to put up at least 25% of the purchase price if you qualify for a loan. To qualify for a loan you will have to demonstrate your source of steady income, plus I believe there are restrictions on loans to foreigners that you should look into.

Santo Domingo is as safe as a city of three million people can be.

For lots of information on relocating to Santo Domingo, you should consider purchasing our Living in Santo Domingo book.

J

Jen

Thank you for your advice. I already ordered the book. I'm not really interestedin living in Santo Domingo. i looking for a beach area and it doesn't have to be a tourist area by any means. I love the outdoors and just want to be able to make a living.

As far as financing goes, I've read that getting dual citizenship isn't that difficult. was that incorrect? I can definately put down on a place but I also have to make a living to support it. That's the issue.I'm below a 100K/US market for sure so we're not part of the rich here!

Appreciate the info.What about being a single woman?

Jenna

H

Hillbilly

Old saying: "Look before you leap!"

You will be besieged by suitors, driven crazy by whistles and Psssssts, for a while at least. Your safety should not be an issue....

Seems that you are limiting yourself to Cabarete, Saman?, and other low cost areas. Puerto Plata is iffy, but a better choice to make a living. Web-design can be done from anywhere with phones, and Saman? is getting very interesting.

Follow the advice given and rent, look around, find a job, see if it's for you. Remember the tortouse and the hare....

HB

B

Brenda

Re: Old saying: "Look before you leap!"

Renting before you buy is good advice. It sounds like you may need to investigate employment opportunities and salaries to help you decide where to live. A job paying 100K in the Dominican Republic is near impossible! Keep in mind also that the cost of living will be much more reasonable. Good Luck with whatever you decide.

J

Jen

PLEASE KEEP'EM COMING

Thanks so much for your responses.

Wow! I'm sure not looking for a job for a 100,000! The 100K was in reference to buying a house but for under a 100K. I'd be a really naive if I thought I could stroll in to a foriegn country and make 100K.

I've been living in big cities for over 10 years and am sick to death of the fear and crime, fast pace, and the fact that you live next to a virtual stranger because no one seems to care about getting to know others anymore. This is why I'm looking to live in a safe beach area and not a bustling city like Santo Domingo. I don't want to be too far out of the mix though because I am young and curious. I'm open to warm people and positve experiences. I have two dogs so an apartment is out. I've read a lot of positive comments on the Sousa/Cabarete area. But I wonder if I'd have to live in a secure housing development in order to have peace of mind.

Once again, thanks for your messages. They are helpful so please keep 'em coming!

C

Canadian Bob

Re: PLEASE KEEP'EM COMING

Jen, My opinion, for what it's worth is that a woman alone is more vulnerable in the DR because #1 you are white,& don't "blend in". #2 Dominicans will judge you as being "rich", for obvious reasons. If your dogs are not properly trained guard dogs they certainly won't protect you. Definitely rent before you consider buying. The north coast has nicer beaches in general than the south coast. While the vast majority of Dominicans are super nice people, it is realistic to say there are always a few rotten apples in the barrel & this goes for any place in the world.
Live in the DR for a year at least, be careful as you would elsewhere, and enjoy, while you learn Spanish & become familiar with daily life, power outages, server problems,etc before getting committed to buying. Nobody comes to the DR & instantly makes North American type income. Take care & enjoy the sun (& rain) Best regards, Canadian Bob.

T

Tom F.

Jen,

You might consider living in a mountainous region. I find the tempatures to be more comfortable, the areas less corrupted by tourism, and depending on where you are, the beach might not be too far away. As far as security, you will need to really get to know some families in the area that will take you under their wing. You would have your "patron or patrona" to make sure you are dealt with fairly. It's good to know who is the alcalde. You learn with who you should do business, and how things are done in the DR. It can be a fansinating yet frustrating experience. As a women, you should expect the pssts and the hey mamis, but how you carry yourself will determine how men react to you. It is very much a male dominate society with traditional values. You often times find a more progressive way of thinking in the Captial and Santiago. The salaries and cost of living are also higher. One recommendation, don't be in a hurry like hillbilly posted. You will find that you function much better when you shift a couple of gears down in your daily living. Tom

J

Jen

Thanks Tom. I'm an independent, self-confident woman so I think this will come across. I will definately make friends with the locals. That's the point--to learn and respect all aspects of this beautiful country.

Taking slower will be no problem!! I hate the way were all running around like chickens without a head here in the US. Life is for savoring, not speeding through.

I did think of the mountains but worried about being 'too rural' and having unwelcome vistors. Ya know? Thanks for your advice.

I'm very touched by the warm and helpful responses I've receicved in such a short time. I think if this is any indication of Dominican hospitality I'm going to be a very happy camper![/i] ;-)

B

Bill

Hi Jen:
All the advice posted is right on and will hit the mark.
One other avenue for you might be... moving in with a family that you could probably reach through a church or school group.
There are many families that would welcome an American roomer/boarder. Both you and the family will be greatly served.
Good luck.

M

Mike

Hi Jen,

What kind of dogs do you have? Since I bought a German Shepherd I have had no problems at my house. My advice would be to go for a more tourist area initially. You really need to speak spanish to get on here and in the tourist area's you will at least have people you can converse with. What you need is somebody here that knows the country, that can be your friend, that you can rely on and trust. To help you get started here. It is VERY different to the US here.

good luck

J

Jen

GOOD ADVICE

Bill,

That's a good suggestion but I've got a full on zoo traveling with me~2 dogs, a black lab & a dalmation, plus a cat. That's a little much to force on anyone. I think I'd be better off renting somewhere. Now the question is where. ;^ )

Maybe I'll just have to add another kid to my family and get a German Shepard too!

Take care,

Jen