Best country in Europe?

oyani

Dec 1, 2005
Cual es el mejor pais en Europa para vivir y criar una familia is it: UK,Spain,France, Italy Etc and why?
and do you need a visa as a US citizen to live there?

Gracias!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I don't know which country is best but each is very different and expensive.

If you are a US citizen yes you still need to immigrate to Europe to live there legally

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
I was born in Europe, lived in London for 8 years and now I live in NY since 2000. I would say that Austria or Switzerland would be the best countries to live in...close behind comes the Scandinavian countries ....but you'd have to take in consideration the language barriers, the weather etc etc...
Myself - I plan to move to the DR within the next 3 years
Good Luck !

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
according to International Living magazine:

France, Australia, Netherlands, New Zealand, USA, Switzerland, Denmark, Italy, Luxembourg and Argentina.

of course this is one opinion

Euterpe

Aug 20, 2007
I've lived in France and Spain, now back in the UK. Have also visited most of Europe on business or pleasure.

If language and relevant visas are no barrier, then France definitely has the best medical and social care, with family clinics, family allowances and good public schooling, but the worst record for strikes in the public sector.

Spain is less expensive than France, but medical care is not as good, there are no family allowances, and getting legal papers can be a long, frustrating hassle. But fresh food is more accessible, the weather is better, and there is an historical link with latino cultures. And the spaniards adore children - they just wont give you any help raising them!

UK - people are probably the most friendly here, but the cost of living is extortionate, the NHS a joke and the weather terrible. However, there seems to be less discrimination against foreign workers, as the UK is one of the most varied cultural environments in Europe.

Best of luck, wherever you go !

Jan 5, 2006
They're all quite different, so personal taste will determine which country you prefer. Personally, I prefer Italy, because I enjoy a more relaxed, quiet lifestyle, and I don't mind living without some of the everyday things in the US that are more of a luxury there.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
I think the OP is already long gone.
If not, of course it depends on many factors, and if he/she tells her preferences and needs we could give advice. For me right now apparently South Yorkshire is best, who would have thought....

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I would not recommend living in Eastern Europe - visit once in a while - yes, but live - not. People here are as friendly and polite as in the Former Soviet Union :mad: and you have to pay for using bathrooms in most places. :ermm:

DR and Dominicans are simply wonderful comperatively to some people I see here ...

Austria is great - Vienna is my favorite place :)

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I wonder why the OP asked that question, is he/she a sanky/sankiette and was it gonna determine which tourist he/she was gonna target?? :ermm::cheeky::cheeky: