How to find a job in the DR

Can2Dom

Sep 19, 2007
Hi!

Im putting this question out to all those who are knowledgeable about working in the DR.

Someone recently told me that there are canadian companies that will hire you to work in the DR, etc.. (im canadian)

What are good resources to look for jobs?? Im hoping to find something in or around Puerto Plata...i can teach English, be an Editor for an english paper (if it exists), any office job etc...

And can someone explain average salaries and standard of living...

Im looking for something for mid-april/may for at least 1 year!

Mme Kimberley

May 18, 2007
Puerto Plata Teaching Jobs?

I'm in the same boat, Can2Dom...am considering a short-term (6mths-1yr?) move to Puerto Plata and am seeking the advice of those knowlegeable in the "job search field". I'm presently a French teacher in Canada, and am interested in teaching in another country (could teach English or French, have a decent knowledge of Spanish also). Any advice re:names of schools in the area/contacts/process of applying for jobs... DR1 Forumners could give would be greatly appreciated. I would possibly consider working at a resort like Hacienda in Sales, or wedding planning ?...but am unsure the best way to proceed as I'm still living in Canada.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Some things to keep in mind:

First you will make very little money compared to what you might earn in Canada or elsewhere. Labour is cheap here, and few are willing to pay top dollar for qualified people.

You will work longer hours then you are used to.

Few employers are interested in hiring and training if you are only coming for 6 months or a year! They are not going to invest in you figuring out if your boyfriend is for real or not.

Opening your own business here is a waste of time if you have not invested the time to learn the culture and how things work.

Many jobs are found by networking - that really starts when you get here.

DR1 is really helpful for information. As Chris suggests read many of the other threads. So some searches and then come back with questions about what you cannot find.

All of this being said - it is possible to find work here. There are some good jobs for those with the right skills. Good luck.

Bellamona

Sep 18, 2007
Re: real estate positions in Santo Domingo

I'm not sure if this the right forum to present my question but I'll go for it anyway and I appreciate any help I can get!

I've been in SDQ for a little over a month and am just starting to look for a job - I have over 22 yrs experience in commercial/industrial real estate in the LA/San Diego area. My positions have included senior property manager and transaction manager. Property management, due diligence for acquisition/disposition, refinance, construction oversight, I've done it all. I have worked for major US investors and loved the financial/analysis portion of my job. I have a California RE license. I'm providing this detail to see if someone can direct me to a similar position here in the DR. So far, the real estate positions that I've learned of or been "offered" have been residential sales or residential property management and these are not my first choice if I am going to stay in real estate. I am bi-lingual. Any leads/help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
12 hours a day for 6 days a week =$4,500 pesoes per week...
Unless you are well off financially dont come here thinking it is anywhere near wherever it is you are from as far as wage earnings...Unless you are into LONG hours and hard work just to live in hot weather BRING lots of CASH..and then you can enjoy the DR...