What's a gringa?

M

Michelle Renauld

I've been following this board for about two months now, but I am stil lnow completely sure on what a gringa is? Can someone please clarify on what a gringa is.
Thanks in advance,
Michelle

A

Another Gringo in Pto.Pta.

lady thats wrong.
in the RD it stays for a non dominican female.....without any
bad meaning and doesn't matter where they from!
Long ago it was a bad word for nothamericans like GRINGO for male, but even words change...........to used
cu/charly

A

Alex Del Rosario

A gringa is a slang for americans, man or woman. So if you see an american and you call him or her a gringa they may or may not get offended. So to be safe don't do it.

W

William Leslie

Charly is right as far as the DR is concerened a Gringa is any Non Dominican female. (last letter 'a' signifies female and gringo would mean male unless you are referring to a group of persons then gringos even if it includes females)

D

Drake

This subject was discussed on this board some months back.

Gringo or Gringa in the DR is usually a derogatary term for decribing any US or other english speaking persons. But that depends how the phrase is used and in what context. Like "Malditos Gringos acabando aqui" -(Dam Gringos finishing all here) is not very complementary. On the other hand "Esa Gringa es muy buena" (That Gringa is very nice)can be complimentary.

The word originated from Mexico and is derived from the phrase "Green Beret Go Home! GREEN-GO Meaning US troops go back to where you came from.

A

A Gringo

Just another "Gringo"

On my street they call me "Gringo"
I can assure you it is not in the negative context!

R

Roland

>>The word originated from Mexico and is derived from the phrase "Green Beret Go Home! GREEN-GO Meaning US troops go back to where you came from. >>>
>>
>>
Here's the origin of the word "gringo" as found on The Mexico Travel Guide:

"The Mexican people are fiercely proud of their culture and their identity. They have not forgotten that in the nineteenth century the United States Army invaded Mexico and annexed over half of Mexico's territory. The soldiers, or 'green coats,' (a phrase that came out as 'gringo' when spoken with a Spanish accent), became the object of scorn of the Mexican people..."

ROLANDO

L

Leona Herod

Re: Whats a Gringa

Also a Gringa is a type of food in Mexico

S

Sylvia

GRINGO was used for the american soldiars in the vietnam war.
Their uniform was green and they wanted them to leave.
SO
Green and go !!!!became gringo

T

Tom

"Gringo" was coined some 50-60 years before the war in SE Asia

Tom

T

Tom

"The word originated from Mexico and is derived from the phrase "Green Beret Go Home! GREEN-GO Meaning US troops go back to where you came from"

President John Kennedy authorized Army Special forces to wear a unique insigna, the Green Beret around 1960-61. I don' think the US Army was involved in any major interventions in Mexico post that date

Tom

R

Roland

>>>"The word originated from Mexico and is derived from the phrase "Green Beret Go Home! GREEN-GO Meaning US troops go back to where you came from" >>>
>>>
>>

Tom,

Try reading this again:

Here's the origin of the word "gringo" as found on The Mexico Travel Guide:

"The Mexican people are fiercely proud of their culture and their identity. They have not forgotten that in the nineteenth century the United States Army invaded Mexico and annexed over half of Mexico's territory. The soldiers, or "GREEN COATS,' (a phrase that came out as 'GRINGO' when spoken with a Spanish accent), became the object of scorn of the Mexican people..."

ROLANDO

T

Tom

Roland

I read that message several times and can not seem to overlook this quotation

"The word originated from Mexico and is derived from the phrase >>>>>"Green Beret Go Home!<<<<<<<< GREEN-GO Meaning US troops go back to where you came from. "

The GREEN BERET was not authorized by President Kennedy until 1961 for use bt Army Special Forces. I have no doubt they may refer to the Green Gatigue uniform, but not the beret made famous by US Special Forces in SE Asia

Tom

D

Duck

Tom is right, gringo is much older than the Viet-nam war. I think it comes from the Mexicans listening to the American soldiers singing "GREEN GROWS the grass ...." during the Spanish-American war, and derived "Gringo" from that, which spread in Latin America, and now in some parts (like D.R.) refers to all white foreigners.

However, this could be a rumor too.

C

charly

The question was: "Waht is the present meaning of GRINGA "now" in DR?" Not where it comes from, or what was it in the last century. But to tell it comes from vietnam........oh, oh:) .
When I be first time 1962 in Acapulco they use it already, but in a very negative way, just "behind" north-americans. Never to europeans or people from other countries.
cu/charlyloco

R

ROBERT SAUNDERS

ROLANDO, YOU ARE CORRECT. AS A HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT STUDING THE VARIOUS MEXICAN REVOLUTIONS I LEARNED DURING THE PERIOD OF 'PANCHO VILLA' THE TERM GRINGO WAS DEVELOPED FROM THE US ARMY GREEN COATS. I ALSO LEARNED THIS ON HISTORY TELEVISION BIOGRAPHY OF GEORGE PATTON WHO STARTED HIS ARMY CAREER ON THE MEXICAN/AMERICAN BORDER.

R

Roland

>>I read that message several times and can not seem to overlook this quotation

"The word originated from Mexico and is derived from the phrase >>>>>"Green Beret Go Home!<<<<<<<< GREEN-GO Meaning US troops go back to where you came from. " >>
>>
>>
Tom,
Please qualify your famous quote by citing it's source. It looks like something that was made up that people like to quote if they don't know the real origin. The Green Berets were not around in the 1800s, which is when the word "gringo" was 'coined.'

ROLAND

R

Roland

>>ROLANDO, YOU ARE CORRECT. AS A HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT STUDING THE VARIOUS MEXICAN REVOLUTIONS I LEARNED DURING THE PERIOD OF 'PANCHO VILLA' THE TERM GRINGO WAS DEVELOPED FROM THE US ARMY GREEN COATS. I ALSO LEARNED THIS ON HISTORY TELEVISION BIOGRAPHY OF GEORGE PATTON WHO STARTED HIS ARMY CAREER ON THE MEXICAN/AMERICAN BORDER. >>
>>
Thanks Bob, but some of the regulars on this board refuse to accept qualified answers, and the more you document it, the more they stick with their silly and totally undocumented answers just because it sounds good to them. I'm glad you can back this up. Maybe after your posting they will see the light.

ROLANDO

T

Tom

Roland, please try to read

Roland

You sound like oyher nut cases ion here, You admit the Berets were not around circa 1900 and then asm ME to prove it. Well"I'll put up so yoiu shuy=t up and admit you are wrong"

And, no, I am not searching for the memo from Kennedy to Yarborough.

U.S. Army Special Forces:
The Green Berets

The Story Behind the Green Beret

The green beret was originally designated in 1953 by Special Forces Major Herbert Brucker, a veteran of the OSS. Later that year, 1st Lt. Roger Pezelle adopted it as the unofficial head-gear for his A-team, Operational Detachment FA-32. They wore it whenever they went to the field for prolonged exercises. Soon it spread throughout all of Special Forces, although the Army refused to authorize its official use.

Finally, in 1961, President Kennedy planned to visit Fort Bragg. He sent word to the Special Warfare Center commander, Brigadier General William P. Yarborough, for all Special Forces soldiers to wear their berets for the event. President Kennedy felt that since they had a special mission, Special Forces should have something to set them apart from the rest. Even before the presidential request, however, the Department of Army had acquiesced and teletyped a message to the Center authorizing the beret as a part of the Special Forces uniform.

When President Kennedy came to Fort Bragg October 12, 1961, General Yarborough wore his green beret to greet the Commander-in-Chief. The president remarked, "Those are nice. How do you like the green beret?" General Yarborough replied: "They're fine, sir. We've wanted them a long time."

A message from President Kennedy to General Yarborough later that day stated, "My congratulations to you personally for your part in the presentation today ... The challenge of this old but new form of operations is a real one and I know that you and the members of your command will carry on for us and the free world in a manner which is both worthy and inspiring. I am sure that the green beret will be a mark of distinction in the trying times ahead."

In an April 11, 1962, White House memorandum for the United States Army, President Kennedy showed his continued support for the Special Forces, calling the green beret

"a symbol of excellence, a badge of courage, a mark of distinction in the fight for freedom."