Carretera (Jose Luis) near Costambar

Status
Not open for further replies.

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
sorry--I am not really sure what the name of the neighbourhood is but I am wondering if anyone is familiar with this area and if it is "safe" for a tourist to stay in this particular area (with a family I am very familiar with and who have moved from the area near La Canita (sp?) Bar). I know that no one can really tell me if it is safe, but is it a quiet area with electricity for the better part of the day and a better area than the other one I mention?

I would not have been comfortable staying in their former home but I am told that the neighbourhood they are now in is totally different and very quiet.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
The area around La Canita is one of the poorest neighborhoods in Puerto Plata, so any change is likely an improvement. It's really impossible to tell exactly from your description. Are you referring to the Jose Louis supermercado on the North Coast highway? This is not very close to Costumbar, but is a much better neighborhood.

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
not sure

I am not sure where it is--I do know it is not too far from Sun Village.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
The Dominican section of Costambar that I am thinking off (don't know the name) is worse than the area around La Canita. Very scary with poor wooden structures. I wouldn't stay there if it is the section I am thinking of. It is a road that runs from Cofresi, from Sun Village, to the top of the village of Costambar. My taxi driver took that route to see some friends one day. Hopefully someone on hear will know more for you.

abnor

Nov 7, 2006
Does the road still go through from Sun Village to Costambar? I thought it did not. The last trips I've made have been via the highyway or the beach. I'll be interested to hear what others have to say about safety.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
The barrio near Costambar is called Javilar I believe and is where Mercedes, our cleaning lady lives. As barrios go, I can think of a lot worse. And there are foreigners living there - the baker, for example, is German. The next one down nearer to PP is San Marcos - the one with the river which overflows. But I don't know, canbon, if either of these are the areas you mean?

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
does this help to narrow it down any?

Carretera Puerto Plata
Manolo Taveres Justo
Entrada Materiales

I am not sure if it is a neighbourhood name or a street name.

Thanks everyone.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Ask them if they mean the entrance to Costambar by University. I went looking for you today - this entrance is a good tarmacked road with streetlights for the first 300 yards. Then the road becomes a mud track going uphill. Some nice houses & some being constructed. I had to give up though because the road became muddier and muddier after last night's rain and was getting narrower so I turned round while I still could & went to the normal Costambar entrance I know & love :rolleyes: (which was flooded in several places). The homes near the University seem safe enough but I wouldn't want to walk that road after rain because it really is very muddy.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
The area.............

The Dominican section of Costambar that I am thinking off (don't know the name) is worse than the area around La Canita. Very scary with poor wooden structures. I wouldn't stay there if it is the section I am thinking of. It is a road that runs from Cofresi, from Sun Village, to the top of the village of Costambar. My taxi driver took that route to see some friends one day. Hopefully someone on hear will know more for you.

is called Cafemba..... It is the same area Lambada has just described behind the University and up towards Costambar.....It IS the Dominican section of Costambar and is MUCH safer and nicer than the area around LaCanita......

There are many new Domincan homes being built in the area and most of the area is occupied by familes that are related to each other and have lived there forever.......IT IS CERTAINLY NOT SCARY compared to MANY others of Puerto Plata and safety is NOT a concern..........the main road upper part of Cafemba is the same "back" road that runs from the Costambar gate to Cofresi. The road that Lambada described is going to be repaved and become the "new" entrance to Costambar for certain residents.....and a new gate is going to be operational at the top of that street.....the plan is that this should be finished by the end of the year............it is being done privately, since the chances of having the "old" main road to Costambar finished does not seem to be achievable.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
The road that Lambada described is going to be repaved and become the "new" entrance to Costambar for certain residents.....and a new gate is going to be operational at the top of that street.....the plan is that this should be finished by the end of the year............it is being done privately, since the chances of having the "old" main road to Costambar finished does not seem to be achievable.

Wonderful news! My jeepeta will be able to stop groaning. :) (that is, if it's allowed to use the new road).

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Well.......

Wonderful news! My jeepeta will be able to stop groaning. :) (that is, if it's allowed to use the new road).

.....the new "main" road from the University to the connecting main road at the top of Cafemba that runs from Costambar to Cafemba will be available to everyone.............

But entry into the "new" gate at the top will be "remote" controlled and only available to if you wish to pay $1000.00 USD to become a "member"......otherwise once you get to the top you'd have to "hang a right" and continue through Cafemba down to the old gate...........

In the next few weeks they will be diverting traffic from the main gate temporarly to other gates while repairs are being made to the present gate.....but that has nothing to do with the "new gate / paving" project......

I am not "involved" in this project, I just know of it since I paid the $$$ to be part of the "new gate".....

Status
Not open for further replies.