ATM in Samana or Las Galeras

memphisj

Jul 17, 2007
Where is the best place to get money from U.S. bank account while in Samana? ATMs, bank? Are there any ATMs in Las Galeras or places to withdraw funds with a check card?

I tried to search, but spent a lot of time sifting through irrelevant posts, to no avail. All help is appreciated.
Thanks, J in Memphis

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Where is the best place to get money from U.S. bank account while in Samana? ATMs, bank? Are there any ATMs in Las Galeras or places to withdraw funds with a check card?

I tried to search, but spent a lot of time sifting through irrelevant posts, to no avail. All help is appreciated.
Thanks, J in Memphis
I read on Lonely Planet's forum from a poster, that there was only one place in Las Galeras, at a bus depot, I think, but that's all I know.
They're not at every street corner, that's for sure.
The town of Samana and Las Terrenas will have a few each.

memphisj

Jul 17, 2007
Thanks Rocky, you are one of the most helpful people on this site. And quick too! We really don't want to carry a months worth of cash around. I heard it's a pretty quick trip to Samana from Las Galeras. Worse comes to worse, I guess we'll jump on a gua gua.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thanks Rocky, you are one of the most helpful people on this site. And quick too! We really don't want to carry a months worth of cash around. I heard it's a pretty quick trip to Saman? from Las Galeras. Worse comes to worse, I guess we'll jump on a gua gua.
We have a guest staying here now, who knows the Las Galeras ATM info, so I'll ask her to post it here..
The return trip to Saman? by guagua might cost you 3 hours.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
OK.
Got it straight.
The one and only ATM in Las Galeras is in the Casa Marina hotel there, and it's said to be very unreliable, like no money in it, most of the time.
So it looks like you will be traveling to Saman? at times.

memphisj

Jul 17, 2007
Does your guest know if they will give you a cash advance on a Visa card at Casa Marina? I guess we could go to Samana once a week and check out the sites, maybe do some grocery shopping.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Does your guest know if they will give you a cash advance on a Visa card at Casa Marina? I guess we could go to Samana once a week and check out the sites, maybe do some grocery shopping.
It's just an ATM in the hotel, not an actual bank, so unless your Visa card works in ATMs, then the answer would be "no".

gfractal1

May 9, 2003
i've used the atm at casa marina the last two times i was in las galeras. we never had any problems with it being out of cash. we're always there in march/april though so it may be a seasonal thing. the atm is located in the casa marina resort but on the outside of the main building next to the guest shop.

speaking of groceries, i was really surprised at the variety of european foods at the bodegas in las galeras. there was stuff there ive never even heard of before.

Crystal

Nov 7, 2005
If you will be stopping in Samana for anything, very close to the bus depot for Samana-Las Galeras is Scotia Bank. They have an ATM. You can use Banco Popular as well, but it is about a 10-15 minute walk from the bus depot. Las Galeras is approximately a 45 minute gua-gua ride from Samana.

memphisj

Jul 17, 2007
As a matter of fact, we will be taking a bus into Samana, and then catching a ride to Las Galeras. It would probably be a good idea to stop at the bank before we head out. Thanks for the info all!

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
You've got that reversed. It's Banco Popular that is next to the Caribe Tours bus station and Scotia bank that's about a 10 to 15 minute walk back west from the bus station. You'll pass by the Scotia Bank in the bus a minute or two before it gets to the station. And the ATM at Casa Marina Bay will take both a debit and credit card and has a $5,000rd limit. However, you can make more than one withdrawal.

Crystal

Nov 7, 2005
I was actually thinking of the bus depot in the market where the bus to Las Galeras from Samana originates. Caribe Tours will let you off in the market. For me, it is easier to catch the gua-gua in the market when you have luggage, but if you don't have much luggage you can catch the gua-gua across the street from Caribe Tours.

Thegirlnextdoor

Feb 22, 2007
I am always at Casa Marina, animation are always getting money from there for nights out, they never seem to have a problem, although theyre probablly not withdrawing much.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I am always at Casa Marina, animation are always getting money from there for nights out, they never seem to have a problem, although theyre probablly not withdrawing much.
The info about the ATM being frequently out of money is close to 1 year old, and it appears that the problem is now resolved, judging from what is being said here.
I guess they had to bring in more money for the machine, to keep those sankies in business.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
The ATM was out of money yesterday. From what the girl at the Mini Market store next to the ATM told me, this is still common. We called our business rep at the bank in Samana to find out when they would refresh it and made a withdrawal afterward. I would suggest to make any withdrawals at one of the ATM's in Samana and use the one in Las Galeras only as a last resort.

memphisj

Jul 17, 2007
Great info everyone. We won't need that much money day to day as we plan on doing some cooking. Maybe a weekly trip to Samana should do it for cash, unless something comes up. It's 45 minutes by gua gua each way? I thought it was about 20 minutes between Las Galeras and Samana.

memphisj

Jul 17, 2007
P.S.
Do the stores and restaurants accept ATM/Debit cards in Las Galeras. Actually it's a Visa Debit card connected to my account.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
By public guagua, Samana to Las Galeras is 1 hour. By private taxi, it's about 30 minutes. Hardly anyone in Las Galeras (except a few hotels, mine included) accept credit/debit cards. Better bring sufficient cash with you.

memphisj

Jul 17, 2007
We will be in Las Galeras in December, for about a month. I really wish we could go in the off season, but our schedules won't allow it. I hope we love it as much as you girlnextdoor!
Thanks for the info Andy, Hope to meet you while we're there!