Baby Names

louise1182

Jul 10, 2006
Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody would like to help me choose a name for my new baby arriving in Feb 2008.
We have been told to expect a baby boy. I am at a loss for boys names and seriously need some help so suggestions much appreciated.

We already have a son who is 5 and his name is Tyler Martinez so we will need something that goes with Tyler.

We live in the UK and Tyler is half dominican and half english and so will his baby brother to be. ( I Hope!) just kidding!

A dominican name would be nice so long as its not too outta the ordinary as we are living in the UK and Tyler is quite an english/american name.

Please post any suggestions
Many thanks

Alfonso, Louise & Tyler

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Congratulations Louise!

Go for names that work in both cultures/languages - I suggest something traditional but not wildly common. e.g. Sammy, David and Alex from the above list are very good choices. We are also British-Dominican and we called our son Lucas. My other choice for a boy's name would have probably been Alex.

Manuel and Diego are probably not great choices for the UK, as well as Vladimir/Lenin, or Stalin or Adolfo for that matter!

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
I don't think these are Dominican names but I like Xavier, Joaquin, Noah. Best of luck to you and your family.

holita

Jun 6, 2006
My best friend here in DR is named TEYLOR....I like it becuase it is unique in the spelling, but it is a typical name. I think it would go nicely with Tyler. Also, it is pronounced Taylor...but spelled Teylor in Spanish.

Teylor Martinez looks nice!!!;)

chella

Aug 19, 2004
congratulations

hello and congrats .....we are expecting baby no 3!! in april/may 2008......we live in the uk and have two boys jayden 7 and Reme nearly 2....so this time really hopeing for a girl!!! but will be happy if we get blessed with another boy.ive always loved alejandro but with my salford twang it just dont sound right... ilike xavier, nero and luca oh and natanael.

S

sokitoumi

Martin,luther,rodney or delboy.......errrm hugo martinez sounds familiar

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
My favorite names for a boy are Corey and Nicholas. Interesting if they exist in Spanish ....

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
some ideas

I really like Tomas and Matias but also David, Junior, Oscar, Gilberto, William are popular in the DR and may blend in well in England. Congratulations!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My favorite names for a boy are Corey and Nicholas. Interesting if they exist in Spanish ....
Nicolas, s?, pero Corey, no - but Dominicans don't let themselves be bound by conventions when choosing names, as some of the examples here testify! I've got some examples of my own - Yakauel, Smilkin, Joicker or Yoicker, Rihordan, Jerpis (say it out loud) and Jewel - all real life boys names encountered here in the DR. To the OP - please - none of these are intended as recommendations!

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Nicolas, s?, pero Corey, no - but Dominicans don't let themselves be bound by conventions when choosing names, as some of the examples here testify! I've got some examples of my own - Yakauel, Smilkin, Joicker or Yoicker, Rihordan, Jerpis (say it out loud) and Jewel - all real life boys names encountered here in the DR. To the OP - please - none of these are intended as recommendations!

These are funny:D Where do you think they got these? From tourists mispronouncing words on their own language? It is like during communist times there were names like Iskra (means spark), Stalina, Oktyabrina (means born in October), Revolution, etc ....

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
These are funny:D Where do you think they got these? From tourists mispronouncing words on their own language? It is like during communist times there were names like Iskra (means spark), Stalina, Oktyabrina (means born in October), Revolution, etc ....

It is a Dominican tradition to create names by taking parts of other family member names and putting them together - I have numerous examples. Hey, could this be a Taino tradition, hmm.................

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Here you get Patria (homeland), Quisqueya and Dominicana as girls names, but even without Communism we have guys called Stalin, Lenin and even Sovietski.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
It is a Dominican tradition to create names by taking parts of other family member names and putting them together - I have numerous examples. Hey, could this be a Taino tradition, hmm.................

Taino? don't think so.

I have one, from parents Jacqueline and Franklyn they came up with Jarline.

this same guy remarried, sorry can't remember the girls name but now they had a child and named it, Frandy. ay dios mio. I deslike those compound names, :ermm:

Chiri my uncle's wife's name is Africa and I know a woman named Argelia and Australia.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
...and sometimes mine gets corrupted to Irlanda. Could be worse, I suppose.

Those compound names could get someone into trouble. Imagine if your dad was called Valent?n and your mum was called Regina??