Electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.

vhauger

Nov 24, 2005
I am staying at the Las Canas Aparthotel for a month in Nov. They don't have any stereos in the apartments. Is there somewhere in or around Sosua where I could possibly purchase a boom box at a good price or should I just buy one in the states and lug it down with me?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I am staying at the Las Canas Aparthotel for a month in Nov. They don't have any stereos in the apartments. Is there somewhere in or around Sosua where I could possibly purchase a boom box at a good price or should I just buy one in the states and lug it down with me?
You'll do a lot better buying one in the US, both for selection and price.
If that's inconvenient for you, post again and I'll indicate a few places in Sosua where you can pick one up.

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Boom Box

I looked around almost a year ago now on the north coast and found the boom box type of stereos were WAY over priced! Prior to returning in March, I went to a Radio Shack (The Source) and picked up a stereo that was over $300.00 for $50.00, took it out of the box, stuffed it in a couple of suitcases and hooked it up and sounds great! Also, stuffed 2 outdoor speakers in a suitcase too for under the palapa, blasting out to the pool area.
When it comes to electronics, bring whatever you can with you that isn't too bulky. Too bad 60" plasma tv's are ...... well ......60"! :cheeky:
Good luck!
Steve/COLOR]

Island777

Oct 9, 2005
Try Gaspar Hernandez

There is a department store on the south side of the main street in Gaspar Hernandez (they have motorcycles and stoves and refrigerators on the first floor, furniture on the 2nd floor) where I found a pretty good boombox for $100 that was almost twice that in Sosua.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
There is a department store on the south side of the main street in Gaspar Hernandez (they have motorcycles and stoves and refrigerators on the first floor, furniture on the 2nd floor) where I found a pretty good boombox for $100 that was almost twice that in Sosua.
I agree.
Almost everything and anything is cheaper in Gaspar Hernandez, and it's a lot closer than going to Santiago.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Save your money. The first time Judy hears your stereo you will be out the door of Las Canas.

vhauger

Nov 24, 2005
Boombox

Sky, I talked to Judy about the boombox. She told me as long as I keep it down and don't disturb the neighbors that it wouldn't be a problem. I am sure that there are going to be times when I would like to listen to music in the apartment. I just wished that they would have stereos in the room (maybe I am asking for too much?)

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Sky, I talked to Judy about the boombox. She told me as long as I keep it down and don't disturb the neighbors that it wouldn't be a problem. I am sure that there are going to be times when I would like to listen to music in the apartment. I just wished that they would have stereos in the room (maybe I am asking for too much?)
Most people these days have PCs or laptops with speakers.
Boomboxes are kind of on their way out, like cassete decks.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Sony makes a very good boom box for about $70 USD, Model: CFD-E100. It is small enough to fit in a small carryon bag. The sound quality is great. It is also convenient because you can put batteries in it to take to the beach, sit by the pool, or sit on the deck.

Another good thing is if were to happen to grow legs and walk you are not out of a lot of money.

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
boom box or ipod

Why not bring an iPod and a pair of $20 speakers?

I use my ipod, or my apple laptop, as the source for my music, but I plug it into the stereo that I brought in from Canada. I can also plug in the satellite receiver into the stereo too! Even the $300.00 Bose ipod unit doesn't sound nearly as good. Heck, we had the stereo pumping 'till 5 AM and turned the villa into our own disco! Fun night.
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.