Birth Certificate for K3 visa

cbarrin

Feb 1, 2005
Want to thank those who have answered my questions and calm all of my fears...you know who you are....

I have a question about the BC...I have legalized copies of my BC....you can see the official stamp and all...this is okay? I don't need to apply for another one do I? And also, what is extensa?

I'm sending all of the paperwork off to my husband later this week...Fed Ex is the best way to go, right? Bout how much is it?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I have a question about the BC...I have legalized copies of my BC....you can see the official stamp and all...this is okay? I don't need to apply for another one do I? And also, what is extensa?

Taken from another thread;

Birth certificates (Actas de Nacimiento, in Spanish) are available for all persons born in the Dominican Republic.

Two types of birth certificates are available: a condensed version called an "Extracto de Acta" and a longer version, called an "Acta Inextensa," which contains more information. Both versions are legitimate civil documents; however, only the Acta Inextensa is accepted for immigrant, K and V visa purposes.

Dominican civil documents used for visa purposes must be legalized at the Oficina Central del Estado Civil, the main civil registry office in Santo Domingo.

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
Cbarin, if you are a Dominican born USC, YOU DO NEED your BC in legalized and inextensa format ( the long version) as well as your SO's

Mayimbe007

Mar 24, 2007
Fed Ex is the best way to go, right? Bout how much is it?

I just sent my wife the forms today via USPS Global Express Guaranteed service which uses Fedex to ship the documents internationally. I got charged US$37 for a 3 business day delivery to the domicile guaranteed.

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
I just sent my wife the forms today via USPS Global Express Guaranteed service which uses Fedex to ship the documents internationally. I got charged US$37 for a 3 business day delivery to the domicile guaranteed.

My experience with them is that they won't deliver right to the house unless it's in SDQ or Santiago. They will hold it at the local PostDom (which could be very far). DHL is the only one I know that will deliver direct and they are as cheap if not cheaper than the USPS.

I don't think cbarrin is Dominican born or she would not have the cert she got in NY.

-Tim

Mayimbe007

Mar 24, 2007
I checked the tracking number as of this morning document arrived yesterday to Santiago and Fedex said they are delivering the document today...

cbarrin

Feb 1, 2005
thanks everybody...I'm using a copy of my BC...because I'm not Dominican/born...so it should be okay...

Mayimbe007

Mar 24, 2007
I checked the tracking number as of this morning document arrived yesterday to Santiago and Fedex said they are delivering the document today...

So I got a call from my wife and she received the package noon today via Fedex. They are quick!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
thanks everybody...I'm using a copy of my BC...because I'm not Dominican/born...so it should be okay...
I'm not sure what you mean by copy. I'm guessing you need an official copy with the raised seal (not a copy of the seal). Also, as in the DR, the US issues both a long and short form of the BC. I'm fairly certain you need to supply them with the long form.

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
Nice, Mayimbe you are all set now... Looks like you and Cbarin have interview on the same month huh..? It most feel great after waiting for sooooooooooooooooo long. GOOD LUCK !

Mayimbe007

Mar 24, 2007
Yes it feels good we are almost set for the interview. My wife just needs to go in for the physical and also obtain the good conduct certificate.

cbarrin

Feb 1, 2005
No, my copy does not have the raised seal...just a copy....is it a problem? Because the BC is to prove my citizenship, and they will have that along with a copy of my passport...is the raised seal neccesary?

cbarrin

Feb 1, 2005
Yeah...we are almost set and ready to go...I'm now just waiting for my husband to receive the packet...so he can get his medical/good conduct stuff also

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
No, my copy does not have the raised seal...just a copy....is it a problem? Because the BC is to prove my citizenship, and they will have that along with a copy of my passport...is the raised seal neccesary?
I'm not 100% sure, what do they say in their request?

I wouldn't take the chance. If you have time, you should be able order a copy online. Some services claim they can get you one in 1-2 days.

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
:surprisedI don't understand why a U.S born citizen requiers to show a BC, isn't the passport sufficient?

cbarrin

Feb 1, 2005
Yeah I was thinking about the 1-2 day service....but all they say is for the petitioner is to have an extensa version of BC...did n't say notorized or official seal or anthing...just the petitioner BC....anyways.

ReD_HeAd

Mar 12, 2007
The packet most likely references inextensa & legalized due to generalization for all petitioners as LPR's are also petitioning.

The packet will be copies of all the original documents so you should have all originals with you at the cita. That is including the USC birth certificate original & certified. With the DR paperwork copies of front and back to show proof of legalization will be necessary.

They are now requesting all DR certificates.. BC, marriage and divorce to be inextensa and legalized for the cita.

For proof of citizenship they are requesting the Passport
The Birth Certificate has been added I would guess as further proof of identity from the petitioner
Just as when you apply for a license (NY) where the birth certificate is required and the passport is just further identification