Cabarete with Mooseman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooseman

Oct 28, 2007
One bag, two bags, three bags?..four?

November 8, 2007

DR-Day at last. We are off to the Dominican Republic, away from the first cold days of the Canadian winter, off to the warm sea breezes, sandy beaches, unlimited booze and food ? what could be better. The 8:00 AM flight from Toronto was full, only two empty seats on the plane. I got the short straw in seat selection, being the third seat away from the aisle and a screaming 18-month old little hellion, his useless father and efficient, but harried mother in between in the other two seats. I took the second offer from the attendant to move to another seat, thankfully the row with the escape door which has extra leg and knee room. Those old Airbuses are not known for roominess. The Skyservice staff were great, the flight was smooth and fast, the only glitches were the little hellion and the disgusting English muffin sandwiching a cool fried egg, Cheese Whiz and limp, grey turkey bacon.

Weather reports all week had promised scattered thunder showers, but the sun was out in Puerta Plata when we touched down at about 1:30 PM. Luggage retrieval was swift, made even swifter by the absence of one of our bags. The luggage attendant looked down the chute, saw nothing and started filling out the lost baggage form. Linda (it was her bag missing) asked him to at least go look for it, but he said that it was still on the plane and would go on to Punta Cana, then (maybe) it would come back by bus/taxi or whatever.

Mooseman

Oct 28, 2007
A short trip to the Viva Wyndham Tangerine in Cabarete by bus, quart bottles of Presidente in hand for the trip. Check-in was fast, communication difficult as only one check-in person spoke passable English. Our room was fine, but had a strange odour. When we opened the patio door, we found out why. A large pool of water sat just off the patio, stagnant, grey-green and smelly.
A trip back to the check-in got us an immediate look at the suite just above, bigger, nicer, but still smelly. The attendant with us called back to check-in and then took us over to the other side of the resort and showed us a double room that was just fine, and that?s were we are now.

A quick lunch in the La Vela restaurant where pizza is ready for self-serve all day and we were set for the beach. Well, lounge chairs under palm trees watching the beach, actually. The sand and the ocean were just what we needed, calm setting in quickly, aided by glasses of Presidente and vino blanco, both on tap in La Vela. A beer-lovers dream come true ? my own draft beer tap! Only the lost baggage stirred the serenity. Our dogs, Maggie and Annie, are farmed out to family members back home, so when a beach dog showed up and adopted Linda, it felt like home.

Dinner in La Bahia restaurant, a walk around the resort and we were in the room by 8:00, Linda sorting through my clothes for something to wear to bed. When the phone rang at 8:30 to tell us the bag had arrived, Linda was ecstatic. I went to the check-in to get it and found a guy from Puerta Plata there ? the bag was in the airport all the time. In bed at 9:00 PM, lights out at 9:30.

Day One Synopsis ? In spite of the glitches, we had a good day. The people here are so friendly; the resort is beautiful to see; the beach is one of the best I have seen and Linda got her bag back safe and sound. The resort food is adequate, plentiful and service is swift and efficient. The standing water problem and the odour are present, just as I read in the reviews, so it was not a surprise at all. Like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, this sure isn?t Kansas, but it is the DR, and that?s just fine with us. Adios!

Mooseman

Oct 28, 2007
Day Two ? November 9, 2007

Sun and cloud, rain threatening, we were on the beach at 7:30 AM and walking east toward downtown Cabarete. The humidity was reasonable when we started out, but by the time we had completed a brisk 45 minute walk, it had worked its way up to the discomfort level. A shower refreshed us, then off to La Bahia for breakfast. Toast, fresh croissant, pineapple yogurt, melon suited us just fine and we were back under the palm trees by 11:00, joking with the vendors and making friends with two dogs that drifted into our spot. We named one Lucky and the other Daisy. They stayed for lunch, which we had on the beach, taking turns to walk up to La Bahia and bring back food (and Presidente and vino blanco of course).

Linda went boogie boarding after lunch and I did some wave-riding and mild body surfing. The waves were easily a 1? metres high or more. We booked a catamaran cruise for Sunday and are looking forward to that. After spending some money on the vendors, (two bracelets for Linda and a big hat for me) we walked back up the beach and went through a restaurant into the main part of Cabarete. We saw many stores, some chic, some not so chic and many shop-keepers out on the sidewalk trying to pull us in with words and smiles. None were pushy, except for one woman who grabbed Linda?s purse strap and quickly braided a small strand with three beads on to it. Linda thought this was very friendly until the woman started to chase her up the street asking to get paid (should have seen that coming). I gave her a dollar and she was happy, and we were also. Live and learn.

Back to our room, another shower and back to La Bahia for dinner. There are three restaurants here, La Bahia, La Vela and Viva Mexico. The latter two are by reservation only and we will sample La Vela tomorrow night. I talked with Rocky after dinner and we made arrangements to meet tomorrow morning to take the items we brought down to some people who can use them. Called Rocky and made plans to tour tomorrow ? now the real fun begins.

At 10 PM, there was a stage show based on the songs and dance of Michael Jackson. The depth of talent we saw on the stage was amazing ? much more than we expected.

Day Two Synopsis ? A real fun day, one to remember, made new friends, something you can never have enough of. A short rainfall at about 7:00 PM; over in 10 minutes. It?s 11:45 ? way past my bedtime. With strains of Billy Jean stuck in my head, off to bed I go. Adios!

A

apostropheman

Mooseman (John) and Linda,

sounds like a good start to your DR adventure!

have you been to the DR before?

i saws your pics in this thread (thanks Rocky):
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/68649-mooseman-comes-south.html

and was very happy and impressed. :)

You're obviously good people and have made many happy with your generosity! (and put a big smile on my face)

thank you!

i'm waiting for the next installment in your adventure!

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Mooseman:

I wish more people were like you and your wife. Thanks for bringing so many smiles to the kids of the DR. You are good people. Bless you.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Nice reporting, Mooseman.
Great resource for future visitors and, for me at least, nice to hear how visitors think about what they see in the area. Gives some of us a good chance to see again for the first time what we like about the north coast.

Hopefully today's a little drier than yesterday... enjoy!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thanks for bringing so many smiles to the kids of the DR.
Yeah... The smiles say it all.

smiles.jpg

smiles1.jpg

smiles2.jpg

smiles3.jpg

smiles4.jpg

smiles6.jpg

smiles5.jpg

Mooseman

Oct 28, 2007
Day Three ? November 10, 2007

Fine day, sun up and just a few clouds. Had pineapple juice and fresh croissants, yogurt and fresh fruit. If a big breakfast is preferred, this is the place. There are all kinds of eggs, meats, cheeses, sweet rolls, you name it; you can have it. The quality of the food varies day-to-day and an open mind is required; this isn?t Canada, remember.

Gave Rocky a call; he came to get us a half-hour later. All of our stuff fit into his truck and we took off for Sosua. Rocky played tour guide for us, pointing out the beach area and the downtown. While we went, we discussed where our stuff would do the most good and decided to concentrate on a small section of Sosua where he knew there were people who could use our stuff. It took a while to get there over the roads; his car is not suited to the roughness and the potholes.

We eventually reached the area and made contact with one special person who Rocky knew would be able to distribute the goods. This good woman saw what we had and immediately sent her young daughter out into the neighbouring area to spread the news and to send the children. Within minutes they started to arrive, all ages and sizes, eyes wide with curiosity and wonder. Linda and I were so taken with them, they were so different from the kids back home. There was no pushing, grabbing, yelling, nothing like that. They just waited in a group until they were handed something, then they moved back to inspect what they had. The small kitchen we were in started to heat up and we had to move outside, the kids all showing off their treasures to parents and their friends. All of this took less than an hour to do and we said our goodbyes, while the kids and parents stood in a group, saying their thanks and waving us away. A very emotional moment; a lifetime moment for Linda and I. I can still hear the soft voices, see the shy smiles, feel a kiss on my cheek just like I was still there. In a way I am, and will be for a long time to come.

Back to Sosua and a visit to Rocky?s Bar, finally on the Internet to check messages and send some and to start this thread. Rocky gave us a ride back to the resort; a 10-minute ride from one world to another.

Day Three Synopsis ? I have said it all above, I guess. This trip has found its true meaning, its true destination ? the rest of our time is irrelevant in comparison. We will watch the water, walk the sand, see the stores, sleep and eat, but these are now second in importance. We did what we came to do today. Rocky, thanks so much for helping us do this.

Kateinyork

Mar 8, 2007
www.facebook.com
Enjoy the rest of your holiday, you and your wife are so obviously good people and those smiles really do say it all - well done for taking smiles to DR. Imagine DR if more people did what you've done - it would be a country full of smiling happy children. Hubby and I want to do something similar next time we go over so its great reading your experiences.

Great reporting on the holiday so far...keep up the good work!

Day Three ? November 10, 2007

Fine day, sun up and just a few clouds. Had pineapple juice and fresh croissants, yogurt and fresh fruit. If a big breakfast is preferred, this is the place. There are all kinds of eggs, meats, cheeses, sweet rolls, you name it; you can have it. The quality of the food varies day-to-day and an open mind is required; this isn?t Canada, remember.

Gave Rocky a call; he came to get us a half-hour later. All of our stuff fit into his truck and we took off for Sosua. Rocky played tour guide for us, pointing out the beach area and the downtown. While we went, we discussed where our stuff would do the most good and decided to concentrate on a small section of Sosua where he knew there were people who could use our stuff. It took a while to get there over the roads; his car is not suited to the roughness and the potholes.

We eventually reached the area and made contact with one special person who Rocky knew would be able to distribute the goods. This good woman saw what we had and immediately sent her young daughter out into the neighbouring area to spread the news and to send the children. Within minutes they started to arrive, all ages and sizes, eyes wide with curiosity and wonder. Linda and I were so taken with them, they were so different from the kids back home. There was no pushing, grabbing, yelling, nothing like that. They just waited in a group until they were handed something, then they moved back to inspect what they had. The small kitchen we were in started to heat up and we had to move outside, the kids all showing off their treasures to parents and their friends. All of this took less than an hour to do and we said our goodbyes, while the kids and parents stood in a group, saying their thanks and waving us away. A very emotional moment; a lifetime moment for Linda and I. I can still hear the soft voices, see the shy smiles, feel a kiss on my cheek just like I was still there. In a way I am, and will be for a long time to come.

Back to Sosua and a visit to Rocky?s Bar, finally on the Internet to check messages and send some and to start this thread. Rocky gave us a ride back to the resort; a 10-minute ride from one world to another.

Day Three Synopsis ? I have said it all above, I guess. This trip has found its true meaning, its true destination ? the rest of our time is irrelevant in comparison. We will watch the water, walk the sand, see the stores, sleep and eat, but these are now second in importance. We did what we came to do today. Rocky, thanks so much for helping us do this.

Mooseman

Oct 28, 2007
Day Four – November 11, 2007

Today we did the tourista thing and booked a catamaran voyage out of the town of Luperon, a few miles west of Puerta Plata. We bought the trip on the beach at the resort and we hoped for the best. Now we were told not to do this, and you know, that should have been the plan. The trip was less than spectacular. A two-hour guagua ride, advertised as 45 minutes, got us to Luperon. The boat was not the one in the glossy pictures, but an old cat that had seen better days and too many of those. No nav gear at all, not enough lifejackets, no radio, just a sound system with Shakira and Tina Turner (one of the best parts of the day). We went to a bad beach for snorkeling, but the equipment was old and who knows who had used it last. We mutinied there and told John, the commodore, that we all wanted to go back to Luperon. We agreed to go to one more beach where he said the promised food would be served. The beach and village were worth seeing – real DR for sure. Some of us swam in from the cat to the beach instead of trusting the rickety dinghy. The food was OK, but the real reason to get us there was to sell us trinkets, so we ate up and then swam back out to the cat. The trip back to Luperon was fun – the wind had freshened and the waves were 2 – 2.5 metres. I stood up all the way back holding onto a shroud and it was like riding a roller-coaster. Three of the fellow pax were violently seasick, not a pretty sight. Another two-hour ride and we were back in Cabarete about 4:30.

Day Four Synopsis – Remember what the tour people tell you and don’t buy from the beach. If you do, you will pay too much. The vendors are fun to talk with, but don’t buy from them. If you see something you like, go into Cabarete and look for the same thing in the stores – it will be 1/3 the best price you will get on the beach.

Mooseman

Oct 28, 2007
Day Five ? November 12, 2007

A day of rest today; needed it after yesterday?s journey. We walked into Cabarete early in the morning, just as the shops were opening up. If you walk up the beach from the resort to Jose O?Sheas (10 minutes) and walk through to the street, you will end up across the street from a liquidation store. Go up to the second floor and check out the place. Everything is price tagged, no bargaining needed. You will see things here that were ?best priced? on the beach at 400 pesos, priced for 135 pesos here.

After our street tour, we just sat on the beach, then we cornered the guy who sold us the cat trip and got some money back. I watched him talk with other people, then just followed him around, queering all the sales until he came to me and made it good. I told him that I would put his picture up on the Internet if he didn?t. We settled, shook hands and parted friends, sort of.

We booked a table at the Viva Mexico for dinner and it was very good. I had the grouper with seafood sauce and loved it. Others had the chicken dish and said it was good as well. I forgot to mention that we had been to La Vela, the Italian restaurant, back on Day Three and it was really good ? but way too much food. Viva Mexico is better if you want good food and fewer calories. I am not getting in my cycling, walking and gym time here and am feeling the effects. Early to bed ? too tired to watch the stage show.

Day Five Synopsis ? Feel like I am living in a dream-time. Robert Frost wrote,

?I shall be telling this with a sigh,
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.?

We all have ?two road? experiences in our lives. Opportunities, crises, hard times, all of these are those of which I speak. It remains to us our reaction to the experience; we either make the most of it or we maybe lose the chance for something great. It?s up to you, my friend ? your move.

Mooseman

Oct 28, 2007
Many thanks for the kind words from the other posters to this thread. Your words are welcomed and warmly received. This my first trip here - it will not be the last. Rocky and I are talking about what comes next in terms of aid to the people here. I can't leave this alone. I am not rich, still a working man, semi-retired, but I am infinitely rich compared to those who have touched me so gently here in the DR.

Until then, vaya con dios.

Last edited:

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
Mooseman,
wonderful reports and I know exactly all the places you are talking about in Cabarete. I wish I could be there right now. Soon I hope.

sosuaman

*** Sin Bin ***
Jul 27, 2006
your character comes through in your words and colorful writing. it was a pleasure to read a "normal" trip report from the eyes of a man with integrity...

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Great reports Mooseman!!! Please tell us the name of the Catameran trip so others are not confused. I am really sorry you got on the wrong one.

You and your wife have made a difference already! Good for you.

Mooseman

Oct 28, 2007
Hello fellow posters: sitting in POP waitng for our flight. Not well today - got a touch of the PP Splata last night, feeling better now. Enough about that, our trip was amazing and we want to stay, which means we will be back. I will write the rest of the trip when I get home.

Status
Not open for further replies.