PLEASE HELP ME! NEED INFO ABOUT CELLPHONE

M

Mahatma

Hello,

we are planning to stay at the Iberstar Dominicana for 2 weeks in august. Ist there a possibility to buy a telephone card for my tripleband cellphone? I have no roaming in the Carribean, but I read that you can buy a sort of pre-paid telephone card. Is this true and where can I buy it? Please help me. Thank you verx much.

Greeting from Italy.
Mahatma

J

Jack

There are places in the cities that will activate your cell phone and then you purchase a calling card. The approximate cost Ive seen for activation is $50 US and then of course you buy a calling card(s) which gives you so much call time for your phone.
Unless you absolutely have to have personal telephone communication, I recommend going to one of the telephone offices in the DR and using the phone there and leave your cell phone at home. Also using an internet cafe or business site that allows you to rent computer time for internet access works well too. There are many internet access sites available. Hope this is helpful.

J

jim

Digital Phones from Off-island

You may have problems with your "triple band" (CDMA, GSM, TDMA?) cell phone in the Dominican Republic. Codetel and Tricom both use CDMA digital technology and don't have code-sharing with any off-island companies that I know of. Tricom now shares with other Latin American countries using CDMA, and you can roam.

I also want more information on this subject, if anyone else out there knows how to get off-island CDMA phones to work in the Dominican Republic. I would enjoy the full details from an expert. My cell phone knowledge is incomplete.

What the previous response may refer to is if you had an older analog phone, it could be activiated. In addition to CDMA code sharing problems, GSM and TDMA are not currently used in the Dominican Republic. But GSM and TDMA may begin service soon with two new companies that recently entered the business in the DR.

N

Nicky

Re: Digital Phones from Off-island

For what I know, it is currently impossible to use any of those system here in DR but France Telecom signed a contract with the Dominican government a few months ago and they are currently installing a new net using GSM. It's supposed to be working at the end of this year.