Faro de Colon

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Is the Faro de Colon worth visiting? I have not seen it mentioned much in the lists of things to do in the capital. Most Dominicans I ask about it are not very enthusiastic about it and some are down-right hostile about Cristopher Columbus. I know there was a a lot of negative things written about it, as well as some ugly politics, when it opened in 1992, and it is disputed if any of Columbus' remains are burried there. It is an imposing building and I was wondering if it was worth a visit.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If you have an hour to kill. It's an interesting building with a few exhibits worth checking out if your into museums etc.

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Why Not

Thanks. I think I will go if only to say I have been there, Colon bones or no.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I haven't been, but if any visitor asks me to take them I will, if only to see the ultimate monument to f*cked-up priorities and megalomania.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
In my estimation the monument stands as a symbol of a caudillo's twisted legacy. Read about "El muro de la verg?enza"(the wall of shame).

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Its worth a visit.

Like all great monuments, controversy was very much a part of its construction, but it is worth visiting.

Very impressive, albeit its not "beautiful", then again, it is a giant tomb/mausoleum/lighthouse so...

Paris has the Eiffel Towers (which was hated for years after its completion), NY had the twin towers which everyone hated until they were destroyed, Rio has Christ the Redeemor, London has big ben (what a disappointment to see it in person vs. all the fuss they make about it in the media), Rome has the Vitorio Emmanuel monument which is hated by every Roman, literally,and Santo Domingo has the lighthouse.

-NALs:cheeky:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Does the DR ever turn the lights on?
On special holidays and when important people are on official visits, like Presidents or whenever King Carlos of Spain and Queen Sofia visits.

Its quite impressive when its illuminated, although the white cross in the sky is only clearly visible if the skies are overcasts.

-NALs