Moving to Las Terrenas in Jan. '08

RMLite

Nov 18, 2007
Hello All,
My husband, beagle and I are moving to Las T's in January and have some questions. We've been stationed overseas but not in the Carribean and don't want to be caught off guard.

1) How do we find a place to rent for approximately 2 yrs? I've tried looking in the real estate section but can't find anything in las T's.

2) Any public libraries? If so, are their english books available?

3) Any country radio stations?

4) Things we should bring that aren't easily available there?

5) If packages are sent from the U.S., do they normally arrive at a timely manner? Any problems receiving it?

6) Is internet access expensive?

7) What insurance (medical/dental) do they accept there? Is it expensive to buy health insurance while being in the D.R.?

8) Are there typical American comforts. Ie: Drinking water, fast food, etc.

Any further information will be appreciated.

Thanks,
MLite

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hello All,
My husband, beagle and I are moving to Las T's in January and have some questions. We've been stationed overseas but not in the Carribean and don't want to be caught off guard.

1) How do we find a place to rent for approximately 2 yrs? I've tried looking in the real estate section but can't find anything in las T's. GO TO THE REAL ESTATE SECTION OF DR1

2) Any public libraries? If so, are their english books available? NOT SO'S YOU'D NOTICE. THERE ARE BOOKS IN ENGLISH AS YOU NETWORK WITH OTHER FOLKS AND EXCHANGE

3) Any country radio stations?WAHAHAHAHAHA! YEAH, RIGHT, IN A SPANISH SPEAKING NATION, COUNTRY MUSIC!! OH, WE HAVE DOMINICAN COUNTRY MUSIC, I GUESS

4) Things we should bring: ANYTHING YOU FEEL YOU NEED. LAS TERRENAS IS A LONG WAY FROM MOST EVERYTHING AND THE CLOSEST MAJOR TOWN IS AN HOUR AND A HALF AWAY, MAYBE MORE.

5) If packages are sent from the U.S., do they normally arrive at a timely manner? Any problems receiving it? NOT TO LAS TERRENAS, UNLESS YOU ARE HAVING STUFF FEDEX'D TO YOU. THERE ARE SEVERAL COURIER SERVICES BUT I DO NOT KNOW OF ANY SERVICING THAT AREA. MAYBE MOUNTAINFROG CAN FILL YOU IN A BIT

6) Is internet access expensive? DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU CALL EXPENSIVE. AGAIN FROGGIE SHOULD TELL YOU ABOUT THAT ASPECT SINCE HE RUNS A MOUNTAIN TOP RETREAT AND KNOWS THE A REAL, REAL WELL

7) What insurance (medical/dental) do they accept there? Is it expensive to buy health insurance while being in the D.R.? YES, BUT WHO IN LAS TERRENAS ARE YOU GOING TO SEE? FOR TOP NOTCH SERVICE YOU HAD BETTER THINK SANTIAGO (3+ HOURS). YES, THERE ARE LOCAL PLANS--DO A SEARCH ON THIS SITE FOR THREADS RELATING TO HEALTH INSURANCE

IF YOU WANT THOSE, WHY MOVE HERE???????????? AS FAR AS I KNOW, THERE ARE FEW U.S.-STYLE FAST FOOD PLACES IN LAS TERRENAS (IF ANY!!). THERE ARE PROBABLY DOMINICAN STYLE FAST FOOD PLACES TO GO ALONG WITH SOME VERY GOOD RESTAURANTS. MOST PEOPLE DRINK BOTTLED WATER ANYWAY

Thanks,
MLite

Just a question or two: Have you ever been to Las Terrenas??? Have you ever been to t he Dominican Republic?

I think you had better research things a bit more. It is a beautiful place for sure, but not South Beach in the Caribbean.

HB

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Hello All,

1) How do we find a place to rent for approximately 2 yrs? I've tried looking in the real estate section but can't find anything in las T's.

2) Any public libraries? If so, are their english books available?

3) Any country radio stations?

4) Things we should bring that aren't easily available there?

5) If packages are sent from the U.S., do they normally arrive at a timely manner? Any problems receiving it?

6) Is internet access expensive?

7) What insurance (medical/dental) do they accept there? Is it expensive to buy health insurance while being in the D.R.?

Thanks,
MLite

to answer a few...
1.It is best to be here and look around,but try Bruce Pierson.a realtor in LT
<bruce.pierson@codetel.net.do
2.no
3.no
4.depends on what you need,butsome basics are available in LT and all in Santo Domingo
5.Packages need to be sent to Santo Domingo,and then transfered to LT..It is a crap shoot on packages to LT,although UPS will deliver but not in a timely manner.Better to get a mail addrss in Miami,with a box in Santo Domingo,I use Business mail,and go to the capital occasionally for packages and mail,mail as you know it is not available.
Hosting - Action Hosting - WSI Web Hosting - Domain - Dedicated Hosting
6.If available,yes.
7.If you are retired military,Tricare will reemburse you for
medical expenses with bills,or you can purchase medical insurance here,not too
expensive.
8.You can buy bottled water most any colmado or store,and the fast food is dominican,no Macs or KFC,or Taco Bell,all are in Santo Domingo or other larger cities,LT is very basic,a small Dominican fishing village with Tourists a couple times a year.Right now it is busy,soon it will be dead until summer.

Hope you have lived in a 3rd world country before.and like the beach,because that is all that is here.
bob

ridiela

Jan 22, 2007
I can answer only a few questions.

Self Promotion is by definition, SPAM. Please contact Robert @DR1 for advertising rates. If the OP is interested they can contact you via PM or e-mail which are both possible on this board, unless you have disabled those methods. Please refrain from future self-promotion.

Thanks.

Gregg
Mod.

About sending packages, I have to say that there is a new service in Las Terrenas Mail Boxes ETC, they send and receive packages pretty fastly and safely to and from the US.

About living here, well don?t expect to get a lot of things in Las Terrenas, think about travelling very often to Sto. Domingo or at least San Francisco de Macor?s, there you will get all you need and you will be able to have contact with civilization.

About Internet, in codetel you have all the info, I think it starts at 1,200 RD$, it works fine.

Definitely you will not listen to country music.

Good luck!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
As a resident of LT just a few amendments.
1) TRY helen@gmail.com other wise let me know when you get here and I?ll give you a list of names and addresses.
2) Yes Anacoanda free library has a large selection in english and other language books.
4) If you like grilled food like cheese on toast , grilled chops, fish etc bring a proper cooker stove. The ones here if they do have a grill you have to get down on your knees to use it. Also if you have any favorite household electrical utensils like an an iron , most here seem to be questionable quality chinese.
6) If within your budget $2000 will get you satellite internet at $49.95 a month.
8) There are a couple of reasonable to good supermarkets - Rey and Lindo plus some up and coming like Rolando.
If you know any french bring it with you, the town is overrun with french even the dominicans comment.
I?ve lived here for 6 months of a year for two years but for the last 16 months I?ve been here all the time , best move I ever made.
Last but not least brush up or even better polish up your spanish.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am kind of surprised that locals seem to refer more to Santo Domingo than Santiago.
Santiago is closer (until the new highway is opened) and less congested by far. It offers the same shopping amenities, and medical services.
BTW, Mail Boxes Etc is a UPS facility and expensive. Business Mail (also in Santiago) is much cheaper. And, readers will tell you that there are other options.
Like I say, networking will get you your books--like the free library..

HB

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
MLite: I have Codetel/Claro wireless G-3 Internet Service, paying $1700 pesos/mo (incl.taxes) and works well for the most part on my laptop. Anywhere you have a cel signal you can connect, which is virtually anywhere in the country now.

Rentals in LT can be expensive, if you are looking for an American/European standard of living. I may be interested in renting out my place, although I am not in LT directly, but nearby.

You can find everything here in the DR you wish, although it will cost more (or much more) that what you are used to paying. The only decently priced supermarket is La Sirena in San Francisco de Macoris (2 hrs away).

Country Music is available via Sat. TV service (XM or Sirrus). If you wish to have it in your automobile bring a Sirrus Radio (pay service in the USA with CC). I have one. XM only available with Sat. TV as signal cannot be pick-up via radio here.

Books in English, I have a small Library at home...

PM me for further info, if you wish. Good luck.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
I am kind of surprised that locals seem to refer more to Santo Domingo than Santiago.
Santiago is closer (until the new highway is opened) and less congested by far. It offers the same shopping amenities, and medical services.
BTW, Mail Boxes Etc is a UPS facility and expensive. Business Mail (also in Santiago) is much cheaper. And, readers will tell you that there are other options.
Like I say, networking will get you your books--like the free library..

HB

I think locals refer to Santo Domingo,because there are two guaguas a day from LT to SD,one at 7am and one at 2pm.To get to Santiago,you must go to Sanchez or Samana first,or Nagua,then another guagua to Santiago...just a bit more time consuming.
bob

aross

Nov 15, 2007
So when my wife and I move to Cabarete in the new year I'll bring my collection of Country CDs and share

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
jaguarbob: Sorry, there are at least two or four buses to Santiago from Las Terrenas and six buses a day from Santiago out that way (with two direct buses).

It seems to be that people just gravitate to the larger city. Santiago is closer and easier to move about in, by far!!

HB

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Some of us Terreneros are almost Santiagueros as well :)

I always do things in Santiago when in need of a "real city".

It is only a 3 hours drive...

But it all might change when the new autopista opens, that shall put Sto Dgo less than 2 hours from LT...

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
jaguarbob: Sorry, there are at least two or four buses to Santiago from Las Terrenas and six buses a day from Santiago out that way (with two direct buses).

It seems to be that people just gravitate to the larger city. Santiago is closer and easier to move about in, by far!!

HB
thanks for info
bob

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I agree Mr. Squat, but the daunting challenge of that Santo Domingo traffic, just might make Santiago an even more attractive selection....

The other day I was in a parking lot from Los Alcarrizos to Maximo Gomez! Totally absurd!!

Oh well, folks will learn.

And, by the way, why not stop in for coffee when you're here??? We are friendly folk here in "la ciudad corazon"....

HB

R0CKY

Nov 16, 2007
I agree Mr. Squat, but the daunting challenge of that Santo Domingo traffic, just might make Santiago an even more attractive selection....

HB
I like Santiago better for shopping too.
Santo Domingo is just too big & stinky and hard to get around.
These days, you can virtually get anything in Santiago, that you could find in the Capitol.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
And, by the way, why not stop in for coffee when you're here??? We are friendly folk here in "la ciudad corazon"....
I shall do so indeed.

I will have to go to Santiago to buy 2 (decent) children bicycle (I guess at the bicycle shop in av. Bartolome Colon...)

And I also promessed a family member to take her to the Leon Jimenez Center, to visit the Taino museum.

-Where are your headquarters located ?

RMLite

Nov 18, 2007
Thank You All

Thank you all for the wonderful advice!!!

I will take my books from here for those who want to exchange and country Cd's for those who want to burn them.

MLite

pfolino

Aug 23, 2007
www.lasterranas
I have villas for rent in LT for long term options. I try not to self promote on the message boards but at the same time want to try to help out. You can see them on DR1 under rentals/by location/LT. They are the only ones listed right now. Mac Coco was the closet thing to a fast food burger joint but I believe they're gone.