Does love conquer all?

live_for_life

Mar 4, 2007
A non-Dominican man and a Dominican woman living together in the Dominican Eepublic. Does lover conquer all?

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
No...it does not. That's some BS from movies...lol

Love takes lots of hard work and effort, it take compatibility from both sides. And even with true love, hard work, effort, compatability...with all of that...it's no guarantee for success either...

But if you feel it's worth the try...and your heart and wallet are up for the challenge...then go for it...

It may turn out..and it may not...

I was going to say it's the same as any other relationship..but that would be overly optamistic...

Any cross cultural relationship is going to be harder and have a smaller chance of success...and that chance of success drops substantially (in general) when 1/2 of the couple is Dominican :p

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Of course not! Things are too complicated. Now, if you are worried about "what would people say" about you living together--Nothing at all!

Like Rocky says, sex is good....

HB

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Love will conquer all...la de la..de la

But it makes for great lyrics in songs

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004
Two years and going strong...even though we are living in Sosua.
We just bought some land in Samana and are really looking forward to getting out of this dump.
Don,t listen to all the doomies. Most of them sit in front of a computer all day or get drunk every day and do not know how to look after thier relationship.

N

naturelover

two years would be a courtship back home let us know in ten

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004
Who cares about back home. A relationship that lasts 2 years in Sosua is more of an accomplishment than you may think.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
A non-Dominican man and a Dominican woman living together in the Dominican Eepublic. Does lover conquer all?
It CAN do in the right circumstances where both parties are prepared to communicate with each other. Regrettably your track record so far seems to suggest one way conversations only - 24 posts & 21 New Threads (questions) started!! You stated earlier that speaking (thinking) in Spanish is difficult for you, that I can understand & empathise with ............... but HERE we speak English (of various sorts) so you should be able to get back & talk to us!

All questions & no feedback gives the impression you just are not interested in hearing what others say!! Am I right?? Can you accept this challenge & respond a bit to us?

Sounds to me as though your relationship with the Dominican woman is NOT one of love - more one of a need to dominate (or BE dominated) by one way conversation!! ~ Grahame (wondering just how many ONE WAY POSTS you can start before people start taking the SERIOUS P*$$ out of you :ermm: :chinese:).

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
First of all, there is the language barrier to consider. I am quite surprised at how many of these relationships consist of not being able to communicate in the same language.

Second of all, do not ever ever discount the cultural differences that your dominican mate will automatically assume you understand when in fact you do not.

Third, I have yet to meet a chica who understood what we here in the states think love is supposed to mean. Their version is much different than ours and they are not really all that interested in expanding their views or seeing things through the eyes of their foreign mate.

So to answer the OPs' question-No, love does NOT conquer all, especially with a dominican.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Grahame (wondering just how many ONE WAY POSTS you can start before people start taking the SERIOUS P*$$ out of you :ermm: :chinese:).
I figure that he's just a kid and babbleth like one.
Busy listening to himself speak, and not hearing anyone else.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I really don?t think that marriage to a Dominican is much different to anyone from anywhere else, you?ve just got to get used to each other and make allowances. Although we?ve only been married for 6 weeks we have lived together for 18 months and known each other for 3 and a bit years. For me she does some wonderfully thoughtful things although I don?t think I?ll ever be able to join in with her pleasure of sitting down and nattering with friends and relatives for 3/4 hours about the same thing, I just let her get on with it. My biggest irritations are her habit of tidying things away where I can?t find them and she doesn?t remember where she put them, mind you my long ago english wife did exactly the same thing. She, however, takes great delight in teasing me and my full of effort at learning dominican spanish. Just how many meanings does ?bomba ? have and how many different words are there for a fire ? Its great though to be able to shout at each other in a mixture of dominican and english and then end up with big grins, I never had that with any other live in partner. (This is the third!). Buena suerte.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Marriage & the Caribbean

After traveling to the Caribbean for the past 25 years one thing I?ve noticed is that long term marriages are rare, and monogamy is ever more rare.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
After traveling to the Caribbean for the past 25 years one thing I’ve noticed is that long term marriages are rare, and monogamy is ever more rare.
97% of the animals on Planet Earth are not monogamous, and of the remaining 3%, 80% of them are birds.
I'm not a bird, are you?

Last edited:

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
I was when I was married (silly me), now I no longer feel the need, but I don't sleep with married women either.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
97% of the animals on Planet Earth are not monogamous, and of the remaining 3%, 80% of them are birds.
I'm not a bird, are you?

Monogamy is something that is forced on us. The sheer thought of it makes me sick to my stomach.