Oyster prices on the beach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dafishguy

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Hi there,

I did a search and was unable to find this information. When I was there inmJune and again in July, we had Oysters on the beach at Sosua, Caberete and Puerto Plata and for the life of me I can't remeber what we paid. I "Think" it was 150 pesos per dozen... Does this sound right and if so, is this about the best price someone can expect to pay?

Thanks. Can't wait to get there in December. 29 days to go.. Y E S

donquixote

Aug 2, 2005
Hi there,

I did a search and was unable to find this information. When I was there inmJune and again in July, we had Oysters on the beach at Sosua, Caberete and Puerto Plata and for the life of me I can't remeber what we paid. I "Think" it was 150 pesos per dozen... Does this sound right and if so, is this about the best price someone can expect to pay?

4 weeks ago in sosua i paid 100peso per dozen, but this was on the street. the beach may be more

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Hi there,

You shouldn't eat oysters in any month without an "R" in it!

Dafishguy

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Thanks for the replys folks.

About eating Oysters in months without R's in them, why is that? I have heard something similar for lobsters as well. From what you say, I should be alright eating them in DecembeR and JanuaRy, right?

Thanks again

Richard

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Are you talking about river oysters from local rivers? You shouldn't eat those in any month that have a 'a' 'e' 'o' or 'i' in them! The local rivers contain sewage, feces, garbage, chemicals, fertilizers, and god knows what else. These will be concentrated in the oysters.

Real imported oysters, I doubt a guy would be selling those on a beach.

You're better off doing this:

Doctors untangle the strange case of the giant hairball - CNN.com

buen provecho!

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i thought oysters were native to cold waters? I wouldnt eat a mollusk from any fresh water river etc.

on the beach i have indulged in camarones, pulpo and lambi.

I had a bad experience tho in september. I told the guy all i wanted was the the pulpo. It was overpriced for a small plate...but heck...i am on holiday so i go for it. He then BEGS me to try the other things in his pale. and before i know it he wants to charge me double than the agreed price (which he had printed on an approved menu).

I felt really bad...i am not a cheapo...but i also felt that he was dishonest and ended up in a heated argument, which he of course lost.

back to the original post tho...if the guy is legit he should have a printed card (menu) with the prices on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.