Flying into STI ?????'s

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
My family and I will be flying into STI in a couple of weeks. This is the first time I have traveled with my little kids so I am a little more nervous that normal. So I have a couple of questions.
1. I have heard that it is common for luggage to not arrive for a day or 2. Has anybody had this problem?
2. I have heard that I need to sprint from the plane o to baggage claim or people will approriate my stuff. Comments?
3. How much of a pain are the customs people going to be?

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
My family and I will be flying into STI in a couple of weeks. This is the first time I have traveled with my little kids so I am a little more nervous that normal. So I have a couple of questions.
1. I have heard that it is common for luggage to not arrive for a day or 2. Has anybody had this problem?
2. I have heard that I need to sprint from the plane o to baggage claim or people will approriate my stuff. Comments?

Flew into STI a few times and never had a problem.

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007

1. My luggage was left behind in Newart and it arrive the next day without a problem. ( the reason it arrive the next and no the same day is because Continental Airline has only one daily flight into STI).

2. Not true I have NEVER had that problem in STI or AILA.

3. Customs people are simply the best, they are fast and polite.

Margery

Aug 1, 2007
Hi,

I came to Santiago over a month ago. I had no problem at the Cibao Airport. Flew Continental non-stop from Newark. No problems with baggage. Just make sure you put something on your luggage to mark it because many bags look similar and some times people will pull yours by mistake. Put some smiley stickers or tags on it.

Jan 5, 2006
1. That's only an issue if you're flying Continental.

2. Not an issue. As a matter of fact, if you check luggage, you will probably stand around for a while waiting for it. The baggage handling crew at STI is painfully slow. To me, this is the number 1 problem that needs to be corrected at STI.

3. Going through customs should be a breeze.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Thanks to all that replied

I can't wait to get back. It has been several years (9) since I have been in the DR a lot has changed since then )I hear) and I am just trying to cover all the bases. If you are in the Cibao area from the 20 of Dec. to the 13th of Jan. and happen to run into a goofy looking red head, that very well could be me.

Sep 19, 2005
customs is about as fast as it possibly could be...they spend less than 15 seconds on most people!!!!

luggage can take up to 45 minutes to finally come out.
they rebuilt the luggae carousel( the main one that is angled) and it is about square in shape now......but the luggage still comes out in spurts.

the walk from customs to the baggage claim is about 10 seconds!!!( if you dont stop at the free brugal stand)

it can get crowded trying to get up next to the carousel to retrieve your luggage if you are in the back of the plane..IE one of the last to get to the carousel.

then it bogs down a little once the carts full of luggage try to get through the USUAL ONE line into the x ray machines....

SOMETIMES, they have two lines open.

They are workinghard at STI to make it a nice place....

Also the luggage issue has a lot to do with the airline itself.

I only fly AA now days.

bob

A

apostropheman

1. My luggage was left behind in Newart and it arrive the next day without a problem. ( the reason it arrive the next and no the same day is because Continental Airline has only one daily flight into STI).

2. Not true I have NEVER had that problem in STI or AILA.

3. Customs people are simply the best, they are fast and polite.
Was that intentional?

No they just did't have room.
just a guess but i bet he was referring to the bit, now, in RED :cheeky::bunny::bunny: