innoculations

Status
Not open for further replies.

linny1

Nov 7, 2007
I am coming out ot the DR in about 5 weeks, I now know that I will not need to take malaria tablets after reading the thread on here but what other jabs will I need, is it really neccessary to have Hep A jabs?
Thanks for any info
Lin

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The basic option is, if you are staying within a resort, the other jabs usually are not necessary.

However, it is always best to consult a travel clinic for their recommendations as to what is necessary for you.

Regards,
PJT

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
According to some authorities Hep A is a good idea even if you are not travelling. Hep B is a good idea if you plan on casual sexual contacts and/or are likely to come into contact with improperly cleaned and sterilized instruments used for surgery or manicure etc. even if you are nt travelling. (BTW my partner works in a travel clinic.)

N

naturelover

better to be safe than sorry I had tetanus/typhoid/polio and hepatitus jabs
they do a three in one jab so its only two small pricks

N

naturelover

errrrm and the follow up one.....make that another prick

GeeDee

Oct 27, 2007
According to some authorities Hep A is a good idea even if you are not travelling. Hep B is a good idea if you plan on casual sexual contacts and/or are likely to come into contact with improperly cleaned and sterilized instruments used for surgery or manicure etc. even if you are nt travelling. (BTW my partner works in a travel clinic.)

I have never heard of getting a Hep B shot for casual sex. Would a condom not be suffice enough? Is this just an additional recommended preacautionary step, or has disease become that rampant that condom alone is not good enough anymore?:surprised

N

naturelover

i believe its hepatitus b+c for sex or tattooing didnt pamela anderson get it from a tattoo

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
I have never heard of getting a Hep B shot for casual sex.
If it's really casual it might not include a condom.

Is this just an additional recommended preacautionary step,
Yes that's all.

dvdit

Nov 20, 2007
Went to the travel clinic yesterday. They said no malaria in resort area of PP but definitely exists in Sousa. They gave me some tablets to take and a reminder to put on bug off 24/7, 45% or higher in strength. I thought I read in this forum there is no malaria in Sousa.

dvdit

Nov 20, 2007
The forum is right, they are wrong.

I don't know where the clinic got their information from. The clinic I went to is located inside one of the biggest hospital in DC with a dedicated travel clinic. Do you have a source for a published report where I can verify malaria infestation information for DR?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There are probably several sources, like the DR health ministry and health NGOs like PAHO, but we would have heard about it loud and clear if tourists were getting malaria in the Sosua area. Apart from a few isolated cases in Punta Cana a couple of years ago, malaria in the DR is only ever reported in the border region.

Status
Not open for further replies.