Haitians in Dominican school-Possible?

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
We have a school for Haitian children in Los Charimicos which has almost 70 children.
They are all in grade 5 or lower.

What I am thinking is trying to get these children registered and purchase the uniforms etc. for them to attend a Dominican school.

Do you know what I would need to do to accomplish this?
Is it possible as in will the school accept them?
They are from surrounding areas and not all would need to attend the same school.

(I was not sure where to post this question - please move to a more appropriate thread if you wish)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Do you mean registered as in birth certificates or registered at the school?

It would really depend on the school's principal. Legally, they should be allowed with or without birth certificates but I've come across cases where the principal will make some kind of lame excuse like the school is full, or the other parents complained, etc.

What I suggest is to approach the principal with the request, while wielding modest incentives. Not bribes, but suggestions that you/your organisation would provide improvements for the school as a whole - a paint job, repairs, educational supplies, extra curricular educational and recreational activities, swings and slides in the school playground, depending on what you are able to offer, of course.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
I am unsure but do believe at least half of them do not have any papers.
Some of the funds could be used to try to get those for the parents.

The idea of making a contribution is a good one and I am sure having somewhat of a relationship with the principal would help too.

Do you think a lawyer would be necessary just in case someone tried to fight it?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If you have the legal facts up your sleeve, that should be enough to start with.

The principal might say she can't take undocumented kids but apparently that is not the case, at least up to a certain grade (3, 4 or 5?), maybe even beyond - there was a ruling to that effect several months ago. Maybe our resident legal eagle Fabio Guzm?n can shed more light on this, or you could consult a local lawyer - but approaching it with a lawyer in tow would be counterproductive.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
I have the same thoughts. "Force" is not the best way especially from a group of well meaning donors.

Mr. Guzman? Thoughts?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
What I said in the PM seems to be a more forceful statement than the diplomatic opinions posted here.
The children are totally allowed, under Dominican law to go to school until (as Chiri has said) up to a certain grade....

Those that have papers are "in" like Flynn..so to speak..

do keep up informed as to the progress of your efforts...

HB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
What I said in the PM seems to be a more forceful statement than the diplomatic opinions posted here.
The children are totally allowed, under Dominican law to go to school until (as Chiri has said) up to a certain grade....

Those that have papers are "in" like Flynn..so to speak..

do keep up informed as to the progress of your efforts...

HB

What papers are you refering to? We have a couple of Haitian neighbors that I would like to see theri daughter to be able to go to school. She appears to be about the same age as our daughter and she doesn't go now. See her and her little carajito below(les digo eso con mucho carino):

7w6nc6r.jpg

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
If I may - I believe the ideal 'papers' would be a Dominican birth certificate.
However, any papers proving name, birth, name and age may do - maybe for registrations sake?

If you remember Chip there was that article on DR1 that told of how a lawyer had protested a principals not allowing Haitian children into the school and the judge had decided on the side of the children. The judge forced the principal to take them back into class.
Not sure what the status was of the children as far as birth place and such though.

As you know many of the Haitian children are born in the RD and there are approximately 25% of the Dominicano children are without papers at all either.

Please let me/us know how you do and if I am there in January I can let you know how I make out as well.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
We have a school for Haitian children in Los Charimicos which has almost 70 children.
They are all in grade 5 or lower.

What I am thinking is trying to get these children registered and purchase the uniforms etc. for them to attend a Dominican school.

Do you know what I would need to do to accomplish this?
Is it possible as in will the school accept them?
They are from surrounding areas and not all would need to attend the same school.

(I was not sure where to post this question - please move to a more appropriate thread if you wish)

Haitian children do attend school at the Dominican Republic's towns and small communities in provinces near the border.
The DR's Law has made it obligatory to accept children of school age to formative grades guaranteed by such Laws.

The problem is not if they'll accept the children but can they?
Most small community's schools are in dire need of funds as it is, imagine bloating the number of children even more.

Chairs, classroom's space, teachers and other factors must be considered.

No longer is it mandatory to have all children provided their Dominican BC to attend Dominican public schools as before, but their budgets don't grow with the student count and vice versa.
It's a good idea to have a sit down with the school's director and find a way to have the children attend the school. Another even better option is to enroll them into a private school and this problem goes away in an instant.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
What papers are you refering to? We have a couple of Haitian neighbors that I would like to see theri daughter to be able to go to school. She appears to be about the same age as our daughter and she doesn't go now. See her and her little carajito below(les digo eso con mucho carino):

7w6nc6r.jpg

She's going to need to attent school fast to catch up to her Age/grade!!!

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Pichardo - and what are the costs associated with private school?

Even if we could provide some sort of assistance to the school for taking the children I understand that it won't add more space or more teachers.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Pichardo - and what are the costs associated with private school?

Even if we could provide some sort of assistance to the school for taking the children I understand that it won't add more space or more teachers.

Like I said it depends...

If you opt for a private school the only info you need is $$$, the rates vary depending on quality, size, type of education (Spanish, English, etc...).

Where are you living now? So that I could know if the going rates to private schools in the areas I know off apply to your case.

In the option of talking it out with the director:
It all depends on the space they have, but most of the time adding one or two more kids to a class won't be anything a good donation can't accomplish!!
I had some very poor kids (3) enrolled into a public school in Santiago after I made a donation in the form of board's erasers, chalk, office supplies, a few secondhand filers I got my hands on and minor other stuff. Since then I drop a few things every now and then when I do my trips.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
The government requires private schools to have all children properly registered as if they were public.

The registration process regarding a kid into a private school revolves around money, I know so first hand!

All you need is the BC of the child, which doesn't need to be a Dominican one. A school record from the previous attended or if none a test will be done to set a grade to the child...

And the most important: MONEY! Since as you presented the kids don't have Dominican nationality, a one time plus charge will be done at sign up for "clerical" needs.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Sounds like the Private School option is out.
We have funds but probably not the amount that would be needed.

We have approximately 25 from Loma Baheta (sp?) 25 from Maranatha, and over 10 from Batey and Los Charimicos.

Does anyone know how the new school is coming along in Los Charimicos?
I had been there in November and it was far from being finished but if it is done soon a pre-registration might be a good idea.

drmc

Jun 10, 2007
if you really want to help these kids out- get them (those who need it) their birth certificates! It just took me a year and about 500 USD to help a 16 year old Haitian boy get his papers ...I got him into school by claiming his papers were "en proceso" and then got right to work. Start now while they are still young ...it will only get harder and more expensive as they get older. If they get to 8th grade and don't have proper paperwork, getting them registered for school will get a lot more difficult too!

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Thanks for that drmc and glad that you were successful.

It is one of the things we are looking at.