Seeking a computer

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
One of the staff at our condo asked me if I had an old computer to sell for cheap. His daughter is about to graduate from university (in IT) and needs a computer. I wondered how easy it would be to find an inexpensive, used PC or laptop - or indeed if some generous soul reading this had one to donate or sell for a modest sum, which I am willing to pay, within reason.

There is no way that this man could afford one on his salary - he is our weekend guardian.

I know I've appealed to people's kindness here before, and hope I'm not abusing the forum, but this is the sort of thing where one can make a huge difference to a young woman and her family, with what is for us but a small gesture.

All advice, offers, welcome. :)

eztime

Feb 11, 2007
sorry cannot help but I do have a bit of advice. if she is going into the IT area. it is best that she get a laptop. also one with enough memory a used computer will just not do. she would need one with at least two gigabyte of memory. also a fast enough processor to do the work that she would be doing. sorry to say a used computer would not do her any justice. but I guess a used computer is better than no computer. here at home I have seen some brand-new computers that go for about 399 dollars. which can be easily upgrade. I know that is a lot of money for some people but maybe your friend can work it all in some type of payment over a period of time . PS I do know a guy who sells use computers come was he can I find his business card. also here in the US were I live we have computer fairs. there you can buy a used computer for about $150. unfortunately there were not be one before I return to the DR. but if I have the time I can secure a decent PC that is upgradable to help her get started

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I agree that a laptop would be the best choice, and if we could find one for $150 that would be a great price!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There is a program in the US that is part of the Computer for Every Child thing. they are selling laptops for $200 on the condition that you buy two of them! One for your kid and one for a kid in the third world...
These are hardy, WIFI units that were developed for use in third world. Their batteries are longer lasting than most laptops.

that said, I will ask around and see if there are any inthis area...

HB

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
And try not get Windows Vista on that machine - find one with XP. If she wants to work fast and efficiently - no way Vista will allow that. I just bought a new Dell desktop for $200 (with Vista :ermm:). It is possible to find cheap hardware. Laptop is definitely better.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chiri

Computers, used and new, like most electronics over there, are sold at 2 to 3 times their price as found in the US. Your best bet is to but one on ebay or something and get someone in the States on business to bring one back with them. Failing that you can buy a refurbished Dell online for probably US400 that should do and have it sent here. Dell Latinamerica does sell computers here (I have two) but not the refubished ones. They also have financing, as low as US25 a month.

suerte

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
- say I got a laptop for about US$200 - which now seems like a possibility - how do people advise I go about giving it to him? Should I ask him to pay a token amount, maybe in installments? I'm considering this not because I need the money, but because I know that people will value something more when they've earned it, as opposed to being given something for nothing.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
- say I got a laptop for about US$200 - which now seems like a possibility - how do people advise I go about giving it to him? Should I ask him to pay a token amount, maybe in installments? I'm considering this not because I need the money, but because I know that people will value something more when they've earned it, as opposed to being given something for nothing.

I agree with you that people everywhere value something more when they have to pay for it (unless it is a present for birthday or Christmas etc), therefore I would recommend that, as he is your guardian, you deduct an a small amount each pay day from his salary to pay towards the computer for his daughter then maybe waiver some of it when he has paid for say 3 / 6 months. That would be my way anyway - hope this helps.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
If they aren't family or very close friends I think it would be ok to charge something.

Unfortunately, many locals, even unknowns have asked me for expensive free gifts as most are convinced all foreigners, especially Americans are rich. This is part of the fabric of this society and is every bit as taken as fact as, say the belief that one's mouth will "twist" if one opens the refrigerator if one is hot. If you think that could be the "dynamic" in this case you would be perpertuating this belief by jsut giving the gift as such. Then again, you could ignore that and really be generous and do it anyway, but might run the risk that somehow they might see you as their Dona, and you know what that could mean. If it were me, I would make a nominal donation, say US50, and leave it up to them to get the rest.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Or, for paying part of the price you can ask her to do some sort of work for you on that computer - assignment that would teach her something and save you some time and money.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I agree with you that people everywhere value something more when they have to pay for it (unless it is a present for birthday or Christmas etc), therefore I would recommend that, as he is your guardian, you deduct an a small amount each pay day from his salary to pay towards the computer for his daughter then maybe waiver some of it when he has paid for say 3 / 6 months. That would be my way anyway - hope this helps.
It would work if he were my employee - and I've done exactly that when I've lent money to my cleaner - but I don't pay him directly, he gets paid by the condo administration. He does do odd jobs for us - mainly washing the cars - but paying back even part of four or five thousand pesos would take years...

Chip said:
If you think that could be the "dynamic" in this case you would be perpertuating this belief by jsut giving the gift as such. Then again, you could ignore that and really be generous and do it anyway, but might run the risk that somehow they might see you as their Dona, and you know what that could mean. If it were me, I would make a nominal donation, say US50, and leave it up to them to get the rest.
I totally agree - that's the risk here. Otherwise I would just give it to him. What I could do is say that I have a friend who is selling a laptop for very little and that I will lend him a portion interest-free - but then if he can't make repayments it would lead to embarrassment.

Alyonka said:
Or, for paying part of the price you can ask her to do some sort of work for you on that computer - assignment that would teach her something and save you some time and money.
Nice idea, but I'm hard-pressed to think of anything she would be able to do for me. I'll try to find out what exactly she's trained in, although I doubt her Dad would be able to tell me!

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
If they aren't family or very close friends I think it would be ok to charge something.

Unfortunately, many locals, even unknowns have asked me for expensive free gifts as most are convinced all foreigners, especially Americans are rich. This is part of the fabric of this society and is every bit as taken as fact as, say the belief that one's mouth will "twist" if one opens the refrigerator if one is hot. If you think that could be the "dynamic" in this case you would be perpertuating this belief by jsut giving the gift as such. Then again, you could ignore that and really be generous and do it anyway, but might run the risk that somehow they might see you as their Dona, and you know what that could mean. If it were me, I would make a nominal donation, say US50, and leave it up to them to get the rest.

So true.... best to ask for a payment when they are your workers as then they don't think they can always get something for nothing - harsh but true!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Update - Pib generously donated an old PC which we delivered before Christmas. Many thanks!