Storm & Malaria?

Jay Past

Dec 12, 2007
I'm traveling for the first time in 15 years. I just hear d about the terrible plight of many of the locals in DR. I am taking my two children to Punta Cana, paradissio hotel. Anyone know how the storm has affected this area and any issues with Malaria. We are going to be taking a once a week pill for six weeks. I wanted to take my kids to swim with the dolphins. any thoughts? Also anything we could bring to make life a bit easier for the hotel staff with kids?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Jay,
welcome to the great DR1 travel bord.
please ask your question by opening a new thread on the east coast bord,
this one here is only to show the Taxi Rates for Punta Cana.
have fun
Mike

Mike I took care of it.

Gregg
Mod.

Last edited by a moderator:

cozmikgirl

Jan 4, 2007
Hello Jay,

I just read your post and I am also travelling to the Paradisus Hotel in Punta Cana. What is the pill you are speaking of? Is it to prevent Malaria? Also, have you heard that there is problems with this disease going around the island due to the storm? We are travelling from Dec 20-30..you?

Storm & Malaria

The pills they are speaking about are either chloroquine or malarone which are drugs long used in the treatment or prevention of malaria.
Malaria is endemic to the island, currently there are no reports or warnings issued by the CDC or PHAC.
Last update from PHAC was May 2007
Reports of Malaria in the Dominican Republic: Travel Health Advisory: Travel Medicine Program, Public Health Agency of Canada

Use of these drugs should only be done on advice from your doctor.

As far as the storm, there were little effects in the Punta Cana resort area's, other than some standing water due to the rains