Driving SDQ to Sosua and my dilema...

nlove88

Aug 12, 2005
I am flying into SDQ on the 19th of January and am renting a car through Adventure Car Rental. My original plan was to just take a taxi from SDQ to Caribe Tours then up to Sosua where I would pick up the car. We are staying all over the North Coast and wanted to avoid driving through SD and Santiago. Is it worth it to just get the car at SDQ and make the drive to the Sosua area?

I speak moderate spanish and my travel buddies are 100% fluent from Mexico. I have traveled to the DR three times but this is my first time driving. Did I mention I am 19? :-/

Let me know what you all think - I'm not worried about the difficulty of driving because I have driven in other developing, "crazy driving" nations, rather getting lost because I believe I remember you have to go through Santo Domingo from SDQ in order to get on the road to the North Coast.

Thanks!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
We've had a multitude of similar inquiries.
The bottom line is that it's not for the faint of heart, and as that is not the case with you, you only need directions.
Getting through Santo Domingo are the only small snags.
I have an excellent interactive map and you need only PM or email me your email address for me to send it to you.

nlove88

Aug 12, 2005
Rocky, I sent you a private message with my email - I would love the map.

Thanks!!

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
It's not worth it!

Spring of 06', I also had the bright idea of driving from SD to Sosua. I'll just start off by saying that my friend's and I are still talking about that trip.

I am 33 years old and have been driving for well over half my life. However, nothing prepared me for that trip. I spoke passable spanish, and we were prepared with maps and directions. But unless you are familiar with driving in the DR, you can't possibly anticipate the sheer pandemonium that Dominican rush hour creates. I've never in my life seen people drive like that. And you will get lost. Trust me. We managed to turn a four hour drive into an eight hour expedition. And eight hours is a long time to spend grinding your teeth in constant fear and trepidation.

The only thing worse was when me and the fellas took a taxi from Santiago to Sosua. But that's another story. I'll just say that if you are ever traveling from Santiago to Sosua, and a little fat man in a yellow taxi-van offers to save you some time by taking you over the mountain. Your answer should be an emphatic NO!

If you must fly into SDQ, take the bus to the north coast. If you must have a car, there are plenty of places to rent one once you get there.

At 19, this may seem like an adventure, maybe even a challenge (I remember 19). But why take unnecessary risks when on vacation. Get to where you are going safely and expeditiously, and enjoy the rest of your vacation.

Vince.

Oh, yeah. I almost forgot. I ended up getting side-swiped in my rental by a motoconcho on that fateful spring trip. Ended up costing me. It's not worth it.

Feb 7, 2007
If you decide to drive, here are some instructions:

From SDQ, take the highway "las americas". Keep straight, don't make any turns. Once you get to Santo Domingo, city, you cross the huge bridge called Puente Duarte. Keep straight. After the bridge, there will be the overpass called "Elevado 27 de febrero". Take the overpass. After you get down from overpass, on the first lights, you will see a construction like a pedestrian walkway overhead. Turn right. That is Maximo Gomez. You will see a furniture shop on your right. Keep going straight for 2 blocks. You will see Banco Popular on your right, tall building. At that interesection you will see another pedestrian walkway overhead, turn left. That is Avenida Kennedy.

Keep straight. Use the overpasses "elevados" on Kennedy. Beware the last overpass that you see turning and swinging left - don't take that or you will end up on the Av. Winston Chuchill, well off your way. On that last overpass, keep on the "ground". This intersection, you will see a large shopping mall and Mc Donal's so you won't miss it.

After that, keep straight, and 2 hours later, you will get to Santiago.
In Santiago, get on the first overpass, look for the "puerto plata" sign. After you see the sign (passing Data Vimenca on your right) get off the overpass to the side road, keep going alongside the overpass. DO NOT get confused by signs "puerto plata" ignore the first one (once you are already on this side road) cross over the underpass and take right after that (that is Estrella Sanhalla road - sorry for the spellig). Keep going straight, at Ferreteria Hache make slight left follow the traffic. After that you get to an intersection, there is a bus station there (Aetra? Espinal?) turn right. Keep on going straight and take the road to Puerto Plata. in Puerto Plata ask for the road to DSosua, as you need to get towards the beach, pass Playa Dorada complex and keep on going straight to Sosua.

It's not that easy. If you think the worst part is SDQ, you are not correct.

As advised, go by bus, taxi, or rent a driver. Do not drive. Use the instructions above only and only if you must drive yourself under any circumstances.

nlove88

Aug 12, 2005
I think after talking a little with a Dominican friend, reading some horror stories on the forums and jogging my memory about the past few times I've been in Santo Domingo, I am going to take a taxi to the Caribe Tours station and take the bus to the North coast. I feel comfortable enough with the North Coast in terms of directions and general knowledge that I should be fine (knock on wood) just sticking with the original plan and getting the car in Sosua. We are going to explore the North Coast that week and stay at Los Gringos...I am excited for Playa Rincon. :cheeky:

It would have been much easier to fly into POP or STI but who could pass up the opportunity of $225 tickets from Tampa!! STI and POP were around 350-400 at the time.