Heading to SD on 21-28 - Need advice on some stuff: Hotel, weekday ideas, etc

JonathanJace

Jan 4, 2008
Hey guys, finally heading to DR on my own without the parents as im finally 21 now and needed some advice on things to do while im over there.
first thing i need help with is a hotel, i was hoping to find one with a jacuzzi/pool and fitness center for 70/80 a night , i read a little on hotel discovery but wanted to know if there were better options (btw how small are the rooms really, my dorm is 10x8 please tell me it's bigger than that lol) lastly, if the place was near a lot of hotspots this would be great as i wont be driving over in DR

second thing what are some of the things i could do on the weekdays? are clubs open on tues-thurs? do people go out on those days?

third is would anybody want to hang out during my stay? it would be cool to have a guide or a pal when i go out or to the beach. i dont want to turn this into a personal ad lol, but im pretty laidback, well-manered, civilized guy. 5'11 and athletic so we could do some damage out on the scene, im also on facebook and myspace, msg me here if anything

any other advice is more than welcomed, oh yeah and i speak spanish too as i am half dominican and half indian

JonathanJace

Jan 4, 2008
i could not edit my post again, i just wanted some tips on making calls to the US specifically NY / NJ , i have tmobile and their roaming is tooo expensive. i know of voip but i wont have a laptop with me.
are there any 'computer bars' around SD where i could make voip calls, or better yet, are there any nonfree/free wifi hotspots around so i could use my cell's wifi.
thx
jonathan

dymmach

Feb 9, 2007
Discovery should do.

They have a jacuzzi on the roof. For $80 a nite you could get the larger

room on the top floor. It has a great veiw of the CZ. And free wifi in the

lobby I believe. No fitness room but a good gym around the corner for about

$5 a day.

Clubs and bars all around the area or just hangout on El conde and mingle.

If your looking for female companions or male, Paco's resturant is right outside.

But at night be careful of your surroundings and being a young male watch out for the police (amongst other shady characters lurking) , if they don't recognize you they might stop you.

I'll be there in early feb I'd love to show you around if your still there.

People who can afford it go out every nite, though some places close early

duirng the week still plenty to do.

I hang out the colleges and skateparks since Im a skater.

El conde would have alota places to make calls to the US for dirt cheap and computers with internet at your liesure.

Hope this helps.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Pick yourself up a a copy of "rough guide" for the DR. Lotsa great tips for the indie traveler.

I checked out the discovery in may. Nice place, VERY clean...but TINY rooms. THe roof deck is kinda nice tho. You are right at the end of El Conde and pretty close to the malecon

JonathanJace

Jan 4, 2008
thx guys, so for hotel im guessing discovery is going to be the choice.

right now im a little worried that im making a bad/boring choice by heading to santo domingo, hope none of family members read this yikes lol.
i've been reading sosua this cabarete that, and i read in a few places that the beach there is not 'where it's at'

what are your recommendations? to tell you the truth im looking for fun in the sun, party all the time, and plenty of senoritas i can mingle with.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
I would go to the place closest to where the ferry will drop you off. If it's the north coast do the Sosua or Cabarete thing. If it's the south do the SD, Boca Chica or Juan Dolio thing. The last thing I want to do after a 12 hour ferry ride is travel a few hours to another location.