Looking for notario publico

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
I need to get a couple papers signed and notorized can anyone list a couple of publc notaries in and around santo domingo or out by alma rosa area?

Also any clue how much to notorize papers?

Thanks

Kalima

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Notaries here in Santiago try to charge RD1000 to RD1500 for even the simplest of documents, including those of just one page. However, I did find someone to do it for RD500, but they raised their price after about the second time.

Funny how you can go to the grocery store back home and get it done for free and here, they want to charge you an arm and a leg to certify one's signature.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Let me clarify what type of papers too....in case that makes a difference. My husband (Dominican) and I are on the title of our house here in the US, however he has choosen to live in the DR and therefore I am asking him to sign over the title to my name and at the same time sign a U.S. property agreement, this is in anticiaption of a divorce. While I would like to have this done in minutes or hours not days. The U.S. lawyer stated it need not be done at the US consulate as long as it is a legal notary of the DR it will be accepted by the courts of Virginia.

My next question is should we go to the US consulate for this and save the headache or can I contact a DR lawyer (authorized to notarize) and arrange to go to a law office...is it okay if the document is in English (as required by the VA courts).

Thanks

Kalima

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Let me clarify what type of papers too....in case that makes a difference. My husband (Dominican) and I are on the title of our house here in the US, however he has choosen to live in the DR and therefore I am asking him to sign over the title to my name and at the same time sign a U.S. property agreement, this is in anticiaption of a divorce. While I would like to have this done in minutes or hours not days. The U.S. lawyer stated it need not be done at the US consulate as long as it is a legal notary of the DR it will be accepted by the courts of Virginia.

My next question is should we go to the US consulate for this and save the headache or can I contact a DR lawyer (authorized to notarize) and arrange to go to a law office...is it okay if the document is in English (as required by the VA courts).

Thanks

Kalima

This is definitely more complicated. I'm pretty certain the notaries will want more money, too, plus they need to understand English. The lawyers here seem to equate prices with how bad you need something done by them, even for simple items. You're best bet might just to go to the American consulate and have it done there.

Maybe some DR1'er could recommend someone they know, good luck.

BF1

Dec 7, 2007
www.aplatanados.com
as far as I know, a dominican notary cannot certify a document in a foreign language but a copy translated by a "traductor oficial autorizado" wich state that is the same as the original one. Aniway, you should contact a notary to find out, usually they don't charge to ask.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
What if I bring to the DR certified translated documents of the legal papers into Spanish to make the notories life easier...?

Feb 7, 2007
I had gotten notarized a simple Power of Attorney in foreign language by DR notary. It cost me 500 pesos and that was probably because the notary didn't have any business that day and was about to close.

Make reallky sure the courts will take the DR notary signature without any further authentication. For me, I had to go to Procuraduria General to authorize the signature of notary (that he indeed is notary authorized to notarize) then to Cancilleria (Dept. of Foreign Relations) to authorize signature of the person from Procuraduria General.

It might be easier and cheaper in the long run to just go to the US consulate. They charge about 30 dollars but you will be on the safe side.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Notary Public in the DR is NOT the same animal

Sorry folks, but you don't understand things in the DR.

Here in the DR, a Notary Public MUST also be a lawyer, because here in the DR, they are not just certifying that the person signing is the person who is signing, they are ALSO certifying that the document is a LEGAL, binding document.

If it's not, the Notario GOES TO JAIL. He has to ensure that the document conformd to Dominican laws regarding the document.

I think I prefer it here, rather than how things are in the US , where ANYBODY can be a Notary Public, and charges $5 for their stamp - all they care about is the $5.

The Notary in the US Consulate CANNOT notarize a DR document, either.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Thank you for the responses I believe the best course of action is to do this at the consulate since these documents are US documents for U.S. Courts and it's cheaper.